1975 Ford Granada Coupe - Lots & lots of tinkering

TripleRich

11 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

Have you got access to a pressure bleeder? That would get round the problem - or prove it's elsewhere.

I do and will be using that next time.  Don't often need it and being in the other workshop I carried on with some other jobs. 

• 1 month later...
  • TripleRich changed the title to 1975 Ford Granada Coupe - 1332 hours of work - Getting close now

This is amazing work and your detailed posts are greatly appreciated as they encourage the rest of us to get on with our stuff, though I doubt that there's anyone doing anything as amazing as this.

Waterless coolant: yes, not convinced.  It definitely has lower heat transfer capability.  High concentrations of ethylene glycol can lead to polymerisation which causes all sorts of pump leak problems.  I'm not sure if the same can happen with propylene glycol which I believe is used for waterless coolants.  Keep it simple: I use traditional blue antifreeze with water out of a dehumidifier as someone suggested and change it at about two years. 

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy the thread!  It's great to have finally reached this stage and I'm really looking forward to the first test drive on the road.  I expect some teething issues but that's all part of the fun with a car like this.

I bought the car very early in my restoration career and had no idea what I was letting myself in for.  If I could go back to 2016 I would have certainly thought a little harder about buying it or not! 

Hopefully in the future some of you can see the thing for yourselves.  I've no plans on locking it away and fully intend on driving and enjoying it (weather permitting of course).