TripleRich

1975 Ford Granada Coupe - 910 hours of work - Reassembly Started

Looks fine to me. Just needs the time, you have everything else it seems.

Never attempted anything like that, but someone once told me you just put the bonnet on straight and build everything round it.

Am sure there's a bit more to it than that.

Keep going till the boss starts charging you. Good luck!

Before I get to the pics, bit of history on the car...

It was sold in Germany somewhere around Dortmund in 1975 as a 2.3 GL with vinyl roof, black cloth interior and carnival red paint which looks just like tomato soup.  Reg number was DO-KY 565.

It came to the UK in 1985 with its owner who was a Ford mechanic.  He went to work temporarily in a ford dealer on the south coast.  During that time it broke down and the owner sold it to a guy and returned to Germany.  It then spent many years being hardly used and sitting in the guys garden.  It only went out to some Ford shows, the last being 1994 which is when it was last taxed.  In 2005 it was then bought by the guy I bought it from and sat around for another 10 years inside various workshops pending restoration.  The clocks say it's done 86000km or 53000 miles which I reckon is probably genuine.

img092.thumb.jpg.b4389057ad2a2ef467798a38521880e9.jpg

So onto the repairs...

The first thing I did was cough up some cash and got our more experienced fabricator to make some replacement kick well panels with all the correct pressings and shapes.  Both the top and bottom portions of these on both sides had rusted out which is about normal.  He also rebuilt and repaired the bonnet hinge panels which had rusted out under the wings.  The remains of the inner wings were cut off and replacement panels screwed on to allow for the repairs to be welded onto the bulkhead in the right place.

20160513_131825.thumb.jpg.d33cc82c915b8da05de8e180807dd4ac.jpg20160520_172608.thumb.jpg.8ccd3e39f7609a6c7a9584753ecaaa82.jpg

While this was happening I removed all the tar crap the ford poured over the floorpan.  It often doesn't stick very well and traps moisture in the floors.  I uncovered various areas that were rusting through while doing so.  The worst being around the rear jacking points which suggested the inner sills were probably toast (more on that later).

20160604_162021.thumb.jpg.e37f7174113b78be4b643b2adf1a39c6.jpg

More stuff to follow soon!

Tasty! Will it be rebuilt as a left or right hand drive?

I don't think it's easy to do on these. The bulkheads different RHD-LHD, mirror image I think so to swap the steering over involves quite a bit of modification.

I'd planned doing that very thing to a mk1 2 door saloon, we never got them in the UK and I wanted to get one imported from Europe and use a RHD donor car to swap it all over but it turned out to be far more involving than I first thought. I think it might of been Junkman that told me about the difference and work involved.

LHD is ok here anyway once your used to it.

Good luck with it, look forward to seeing progress.

Always had a soft spot for these, probably from remembering the older brother of a lad I was at school with having one in the early ‘80s – stood out as something a bit unusual even then.

Sadly most of the ones I’ve seen in more recent years didn’t have windows and were painted in bright colours…..

I don't think it's easy to do on these. The bulkheads different RHD-LHD, mirror image I think so to swap the steering over involves quite a bit of modification.

I'd planned doing that very thing to a mk1 2 door saloon, we never got them in the UK and I wanted to get one imported from Europe and use a RHD donor car to swap it all over but it turned out to be far more involving than I first thought. I think it might of been Junkman that told me about the difference and work involved.

LHD is ok here anyway once your used to it.

Can't have been me, since I know nothing about MKIs.

All I know is that LHD is far superior for rolling straight onto the pavement if one's plasterised.

Can't have been me, since I know nothing about MKIs.

All I know is that LHD is far superior for rolling straight onto the pavement if one's plasterised.

Perhaps it wasn't then. I'm sure I was discussing converting mk1 2 door saloons to RHD with someone on here some time ago. I can't think who it was in that case that mentioned the bulkhead being different... Oh well!

Converting a mk1 from one drive to another would be a huge task and require a solid donor car for the job.  A Mk2 Granada might be easier as the bulkheads on those are almost the same on each side with the heater box in the middle.  You'd still have to move stuff like the battery tray though.

423074991_MK2Bulkhead.thumb.JPG.7b404ade7d6253352641bd1567ae1241.JPG

I wont be converting the coupe as I want to keep it original.  I've driven LHD stuff on UK roads and its not that bad really.  You soon get used to it and forget about it.

Anyway, onto some more pics...

With the complex bonnet panels and kick wells repaired the car was mocked up with all the replacement panels to make sure things were going in the right direction.

20160519_143844.thumb.jpg.69af71748de25052c5d17e65e7656a87.jpg20160506_181012.thumb.jpg.4e14920fb3465c378deaaae3828ee875.jpg

Including the inner wings and valence there are 12 panels that come together to form the front end.  Everything fitted together quite well first time round and was held on with panel screws while the wings and bonnet were trial fitted.  Having original Ford panels makes this job much easier.

20160519_143917.thumb.jpg.f42b68a94a701415a5dedcace31fadff.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By captain_70s
      Hullo,

I'm a masochist from Leeds who is running two rusty, worn out Triumph Dolomites as my only transport in rural Aberdeenshire. You might recognise me from various other forums and Facebook groups. Realistically I need to buy a modern car of some sort, but instead I find myself looking at £300 Citroen BXs and Triumph Acclaims on Gumtree and thinking "yeah, that'd fit right in with the rest of the broken cars I can't afford".

On to the cars, the main attraction being my 1976 1850HL "50 Shades of Yellow" that I bought for £850 and is currently my daily driver, here is a picture of it before I sanded off some surface rust and sprayed it badly in the wrong shade of yellow with rattle cans:

Within a month of purchase I managed to plant it in to a steel fence backwards after a botched gear change on a wet roundabout and ruined the N/S rear wing, although judging by the other dent that's packed with filler it looks like somebody had already done the same. I also managed to destroy a halfshaft and one of my Sprint alloys (good for an extra 15hp) in the incident, so now it's sitting on it's original steelies but painted black (good for an extra 5hp).

It's only broken down on me twice. once with some sort of fuel delivery related problem which may or may not have been an empty fuel tank and once when the thermostat jammed shut and it overheated and blew out some O-rings for the cooling system. It has recently developed a taste for coolant and oil which is rather annoying, although it's done 89,300 miles which is about 80,000 more miles than BL engineering is designed to last, I'm keeping my eye on eBay for replacement engines... 
      I tried to keep ahead of the rust a bit by rubbing down the arches and re-painting them, but apparently rattle can paint isn't great when you are spraying it at -5C, it also highlighted how although my car might have been Inca Yellow in 1976 it's now more of a "cat piss" sort of shade. So I ended up with the wrong shade of yellow which has rust coming back through after 5 weeks. Did I mention I'm incompetent?

The other car is the first "classic" car I bought, so I can't bear to sell it. It's a '77 Dolomite 1300 and it cost £1400 (about £400 too much) and has been nothing but a pain in the arse:

It looks much prettier (from 100 yards) but that's most due to the darker paintwork hiding the rust. It lives a mollycoddled life in my garage, where it somehow still manages to rust, and is utterly rubbish. 0-60 is measured on a calendar, top speed is 80ish but at that point it uses more oil than petrol, it rarely ventures over 50mph and if you encounter an incline of any sort you can kiss that sort of speed goodbye, along with about £20 of 20W50 as it vanishes out of the exhaust in the form of blue smoke.

One of the PO's had clearly never heard of the term "oil change" so it developed into brown sludge that coated everything internally with the next owner(s) blissfully pouring fresh oil on top of it. This lasted until about 600 miles into my ownership when there was muffled "pop" from the engine bay and the car became a 3-cylinder. The cause was catastrophic wear to the top end causing a rocker arm to snap:

As this was my first classic car I'd assumed it was supposed to sound like the engine was full of marbles, it wasn't.

I put the engine back together with second hand bits declared it utterly fucked and promptly did another 5000 miles with it. After about 3500 of those miles the oil burning started, valve seals have gone so it's been relegated to my parent's garage as a backup car and something to take to local car shows as the 1850 is now embarrassingly ugly. I'm keeping my eye on eBay for replacement engines (deja vu, anybody?) Oh, I also recently reversed it into a parked Ford Fiesta and royally fucked up the rear bumper, rear panel and bootlid. Did I mention I'm incompetent?

There have been two other cars in my life. My first car, a 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.0 an it's replacement a 2012 Corsa 1.4T. I didn't really want either of them, but it's a long story involving my parents and poor life choices. Ask if you want to hear it!

So that's a brief summary of my current shite. If you want more pictures or details of anything do say as I've got photos of almost everything I'd done with the cars.
    • By Kiltox
      Had this little honey delivered today from the Autoshite legend that is RobT who saved it from the crusher. 

Has a few issues - biggest of all is rough running / misfire at idle. Top suspect is the inlet manifold gasket which was kindly supplied. 
      Needs a proper service since the previous giffer owner seems to have been ripped off by his local garage - the air filter is black as fuck and the spark plugs fitted are probably not the correct ones. 
      OSF sidelight is inop - broken wire. Upon investigating I found some top class wiring repairs to the lighting harness:

Yes, twisted together wires covered in masking tape. Lovely. 
      All in all it’s very clean and tidy though - 33k on the clock! 
    • By snagglepuss
      Didn't bother to do a collection thread as was a 30min drive so fairly boring.

Yesterday I won this

Which is effectively going to replace the civic and the xantia.

Picked car from a bodywork guy in foreign lands (Yorkshire).

First thoughts are that I think it has been sitting for a while but started straight up. Apart from service bits and potentially a cambelt everything seems to be good with it. Comes pre dented.

Current is differently abled tax so that will need to be changed.

Windscreen has small crack in passenger side.

Runs really cold, this is after 30 miles of motorway

Mind you it honks. Properly honks. Not as much as the focus I got from Shadow but not far off.

List of jobs

Oil change
      Spark plugs
      Air filter
      Thermostat
      Rear boot struts
      Front discs and pads
      Cam belt plus bits
      Ball joints
      Drop links
      Rear anti roll bar bushes
      Stereo code