1975 Ford Granada Coupe - Lots & lots of tinkering

TripleRich

I was thinking the same as Dolly above.  It is such a fantasy for someone on this forum to see that people are obviously spending money on cars that don't justify it - fantastic to see that there are people who do what they want to do and forget the financial logic.

Really appreciate your detailed notes which is a great inspiration to me to get on with stuff I want to do.

Thanks Dan.  We do need another apprentice in fabrication.  The two guys in there are swamped with rust and I was helping them out but now I'm swamped with painted shells that need putting back together.  Hard finding people who want to do it though.  So many people my age just want to work in offices, do social media and get pissed!

Ha! I’m 34 so might be a bit beyond being an apprentice!

I’ve been in hands on work since I left school, commercial vehicle bodywork/construction, then a mechanic, now I’m in power distribution as a fitter. I’d love to do restoration work though, it’s literally my dream job. I’ve even considered a college course to learn paint spraying as that really appeals.

Your right though, people just don’t want to do hands on ‘spanner’ work anymore. I think a lot of people think themselves to good for doing dirty work nowadays and prefer moving bits of paper around in offices instead. Fuck knows why as it sounds like he’ll to me!

That Mk3 Cav SRi has provoked quite a bit of discussion from most people that see it.  Even our initial response when the owner enquired was along the lines of "why do you want to restore that'?  To many they just don't feel like classic cars even though the youngest ones are now 23 years old.

The owners reasons are sentimental.  Amazing how much people are willing to spend on stuff like this.

That's fair enough it's his money. I was never struck on the Mk3, the ones I've driven were properly boaty and generally meh.

The Mk2 on the other hand. A mates early 1.8 saloon with a twin Weber conversion I knocked up was a hoot and another mates Sri 130 even more so back in the day. There must be very few of those left now, can't even remember the last time I saw one! Much more worthy of restoring imo.

Ha! I’m 34 so might be a bit beyond being an apprentice!

I’ve been in hands on work since I left school, commercial vehicle bodywork/construction, then a mechanic, now I’m in power distribution as a fitter. I’d love to do restoration work though, it’s literally my dream job. I’ve even considered a college course to learn paint spraying as that really appeals.

Your right though, people just don’t want to do hands on ‘spanner’ work anymore. I think a lot of people think themselves to good for doing dirty work nowadays and prefer moving bits of paper around in offices instead. Fuck knows why as it sounds like he’ll to me!

They used to offer a painting one local to me that I was interested in but because of no interest they dropped it, my pal at the bodyshop is going to teach me though when im doing a bit of work for him,

They used to offer a painting one local to me that I was interested in but because of no interest they dropped it, my pal at the bodyshop is going to teach me though when im doing a bit of work for him,

Same thing happened down here, course was on offer but because of lack of people interested they cancelled it.

I got a good start though when I did my City & Guilds motor mechanics qualification, part of that included a separate course in welding and fabrication, which I completed both. After that when I got a job a mate there taught me more about welding and I got plenty of practice that way.

Painting and proper car panel fabrication is what I’m keen to get into though.

I was never struck on the Mk3, the ones I've driven were properly boaty and generally meh.

The Mk2 on the other hand. A mates early 1.8 saloon with a twin Weber conversion I knocked up was a hoot and another mates Sri 130 even more so back in the day. There must be very few of those left now, can't even remember the last time I saw one! Much more worthy of restoring imo.

This. Very much this. Still miss my old MK2 2.0i

Were it not for the three M's (Mortgage, Marriage and Miniature People) I would come and do this work in a heartbeat.

Yeah I've used all the wrong methods for this car.  This bloke building Cortinas knew what he was doing!

attachicon.gifDagenham Cortina Production.JPG

Ah... the art of knowing where to hit it... and how hard. People look in horror when I start biffing weatherstrip windows into place. :)

Ah... the art of knowing where to hit it... and how hard. People look in horror when I start biffing weatherstrip windows into place. :)

When the guys were prepping my Capri for finishing and paint I walked into their workshop to pay a bill. I walked in the door and saw Steve, the head body man, about to swing some big fuck off mallet at my car!

He saw me, stopped and walked over laughing and said ‘I’ll do this after you’ve left!’. I do know a bit about bodywork anyway so it wasn’t any concern and I knew what he was doing and why so just laughed, gave him his money and told him to have fun!

He said some people are genuinely shocked to see some bloke swinging such tools at their pride and joy but sometimes you’ve got to.

When the guys were prepping my Capri for finishing and paint I walked into their workshop to pay a bill. I walked in the door and saw Steve, the head body man, about to swing some big fuck off mallet at my car!

He saw me, stopped and walked over laughing and said ‘I’ll do this after you’ve left!’. I do know a bit about bodywork anyway so it wasn’t any concern and I knew what he was doing and why so just laughed, gave him his money and told him to have fun!

He said some people are genuinely shocked to see some bloke swinging such tools at their pride and joy but sometimes you’ve got to.

Try working in a car factory........

Incredible work, I can imagine the "what, that's it?" moment when the last box was ticked.

Also +1 on the Cavalier. I read what you'd written, glanced at the picture and was all "what on earth, that's a new car" because I remember going along to pick a new one up with my grandparents. That however was 30 years ago (on launch day). It's heartwarming to know both people want them restoring, and there's restorers willing to have a go

When I worked at a Jaguar dealer there were a few customers like that. One that sticks out was an XJS Convertible, it was about 8 years old & came in with slightly rusty floorpans, in the end it had a full blown resto, including brand new engine (with all ancillaries), autobox, complete wiring loom, every piece of suspension etc. His final bill was around £40k, which he was fine with, despite it being about 3-4 times the value of the car at the time.

I wish I could remember its reg, to see if its still around.

That Mk3 Cav SRi has provoked quite a bit of discussion from most people that see it.  Even our initial response when the owner enquired was along the lines of "why do you want to restore that'?  To many they just don't feel like classic cars even though the youngest ones are now 23 years old.

The owners reasons are sentimental.  Amazing how much people are willing to spend on stuff like this.

Its taken 639 hours of work over 108 days spanning 2.5 years to get to this point. Feels weird not having any more welding to do on the car

You've done a great job there and I, like many others have learned a great deal through your posts. When it comes to welding I've an MGB about three foot from a MiG if you need any more practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Started prepping the car for paint yesterday.  First step is to take as much of the original paint off as possible.  I'll then key the metal and paint the whole outside of the car with POR.  I need to do this as there are hundreds of tiny rust blisters lurking under the paint.  This means the paint is letting moisture from the air through to the metal so it has to go.  Its also not the best idea to rely on 40 year old paint as the base for a new paint job.

First job was the bulkhead.  Very difficult to remove all the paint but I did my best and even in bare metal it looks so much better.;

20181020_092909.thumb.jpg.e2d98c3f63ed712fbf3567086b9dfc9b.jpg20181020_112000.thumb.jpg.5d6feb0604b51c8609ef6ccad9179d4b.jpg

Also did the same to some final areas inside the car.  I'm not so concerned about the finish inside the car as all of it will be hidden.

20181020_115159(0).thumb.jpg.03683d95534fb82d08e194929a1c3d4a.jpg

Managed to do both rear quarters as well.

20181020_131116.thumb.jpg.05c2fdb7d62e8b19c030bb9542943c07.jpg20181020_131139.thumb.jpg.13db42265abb1dded82e5aa302be2903.jpg

With that done I keyed the metal with 80 grit and painted all the bare metal areas with POR.

20181020_155054.thumb.jpg.25d65e65363b3116bc2bdf7497a4795d.jpg20181020_155041.thumb.jpg.eb6d30d900c1cb4ebbcf064ef8ea8a7a.jpg

Once this process is completed I can flat and key the POR ready for primer.  The POR will then prevent moisture from doing any damage over the 20 or more years.  Next job is the roof, rear panel and door shuts.  Everywhere else has already been painted.  The bonnet and doors will be done off the car on panel stands.