1975 Ford Granada Coupe - Lots & lots of tinkering

TripleRich

On 6/28/2020 at 8:51 AM, TripleRich said:

I also removed all the locks from the car and took them apart.  Using parts from other locks I been able to match them all to the same key.

One of the greatest threads on AS but the matter-of-fact statements such as this one I picked at random set it apart from others.

Supernatural levels of skill throughout this restoration.

5 hours ago, davocano said:

One of the greatest threads on AS but the matter-of-fact statements such as this one I picked at random set it apart from others.

Supernatural levels of skill throughout this restoration.

I've done similar with household mortice locks, but doing it with car-size locks with many 'levers' is stunningly impressive. As is this whole project. We need a 'we are not worthy' icon.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, TripleRich said:

Coolant is Comma 50/50 premix - The water here is liquid rock so some premixed stuff will do a much better job than a rad full of limescale.

Fantastic work. On the subject of coolant I know the problem as the water round my way is liquid rock and needs a descaler in the house.  A tip to get scale-free water. If you have a dehmumidifier or know someone that has, the water collected in the drainage tank won't have any scale as it's come out of the air.

• TripleRich changed the title to 1975 Ford Granada Coupe - 1230 hours of work - Its Running!

Well done Rich, first start is always a bit of a mixed bag, on one hand your guts drop out your arse as your scared shitless of something being wrong or getting damaged, on the other hand once it starts firing and almost running your well pleased as it’s about to come to life again!

Sounds and looks great!👍

I wish I could see the start up everytime I click on lick just keeps saying download failed but I bet it you where nervous when the engine first started to crank well done on all the hard work you have put into this maybe do a photo montage on YouTube when car is finally Road legal

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

Cheers guys!  Appreciate all the interest and support over the years on this thread.  There were many times where I wondered if I'd ever get this far.  Being able to post here really helped with the motivation and help me stay focused on what I was going to do next.

I knew it would run once I put the heads on and turned it by hand but it's always a nervous moment.  Until that oil pressure gauge shoots up you can never be 100% sure.

I've still got lots of bits and pieces left to do but I'm a very happy man.  I'm leaving it on the axle stands for now and will finish up everything underneath before going for a spin around the yard.

21 hours ago, TripleRich said:

Its running!  Pulled some late nights and fitted the gearbox, driveshaft and exhaust ready for the big moment.

Huzzah!!! :-)

Jolly well done. It has been great to watch this move through its restoration and see all the fantastic work that you have put into it.

Huzzah again!!! :-)

I'm continuing to progress with various jobs all over the car.  These include the usual niggles you come to expect when trying to get a car back on the road.

I've checked the electrics.  Everything works except two things...

• Fuel gauge reads much lower than it should, needs investigating, I've checked the sender and it's fine
  • Dashboard illumination is very poor,  possible bulb or rheostat issue

20201130_194717.thumb.jpg.0b5813d319e837ab8a17e16bda7708a6.jpg

I've changed the front springs.  This is a pig of a job with the car assembled but I had no choice.  One of the original front springs gave up and went soft after I put the engine in.  

20201201_181131.thumb.jpg.725e5bdcceeec9e9186777e205b5d47f.jpg

With that done the car now sits level at the front

IMG-20201203-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.38e76a900ec4e9676398ef352fa61765.jpeg

I've fitted a period correct battery.  Painted the caps yellow and applied some stickers.  Sad I know but it does really make a big difference to the engine bay.

20201205_115544.thumb.jpg.52c434b8aaeed8ce45e6507aababa80e.jpg

I've retorqued the cylinder heads now its been running and adjusted the valve clearances.  Its now very smooth and quiet.  Also cleaned and salvaged the original airbox.

I've done some more tuning.  Bit of a fiddle with these carbs as you have 5 screws to mess with.  Its much closer now and I'll continue to mess about with it.

20201205_115947.thumb.jpg.f6db5f8380a872e73bc97201e4cd7b5f.jpg

Done the tracking remembering to do the rear wheels as well.

IMG-20201203-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.57dc38cab3920f1760fe4e60994a3b5e.jpeg

Done loads of other small jobs...

• Touch up paintwork under the car
  • Replace temperature sender
  • Fit a crank pulley that doesn't leak
  • Check & top off all fluids
  • Torque rear wheel bearings
  • Check/tighten various bolts relating to suspension and secure all lock tabs
  • Adjust washer jets
  • Fit remainder or exhaust
  • Adjust clutch
  • Tighten and split pin all subframe bolts

Still got a few problems with the main one being the brakes.  I'm getting close to solving it, just need some more time.  The rear brakes are drawing in air from somewhere.  I think its from the threads on the blead nipples while bleeding is happening.  After isolating the rear I can confirm the front brakes, master cylinder and proportioning valve are fine so I'll continue working on the rear brakes.  I've changed the wheel cylinders just in case but it's not those.

Also got those electrical issues to look at and a possible blow in the exhaust.  All standard stuff really, no major issues but the brakes is a bit frustrating due to all the nice paint there is to mess up!

I'll keep at it, not far away now.  I have sufficient brakes to drive the car and I have around the yard.  Feels nice and smooth with no nasty noises or whines from gearbox or diff.  Only got into third gear and it was dark so no photos unfortunately.  Its like driving a magic carpet so I'm really looking forward to that first long drive.

When I get the brakes and tyres sorted I'll get out on the road for some local test drives.  

• TripleRich changed the title to 1975 Ford Granada Coupe - 1254 hours of work - Its Running!
52 minutes ago, TripleRich said:

Still got a few problems with the main one being the brakes.  I'm getting close to solving it, just need some more time.  The rear brakes are drawing in air from somewhere.  I think its from the threads on the blead nipples while bleeding is happening.

Have you got access to a pressure bleeder? That would get round the problem - or prove it's elsewhere.