Jump to content

Truck Shite


quicksilver

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, scruff said:

Tipped next to their older Volvo today, 09 plate and spotless. Unlike mine at the moment 😃

IMG_20220527_101653_779.thumb.jpg.cc69f42183ba0f566489e0e69bf1c430.jpg

I haven't seen that one yet, it looks great for its age. Also, I spy a Foden Alpha lurking in the corner :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really a truck, but lots in common. Moved this JCB Fastrac for a bloke this week. I do a lot with Fastracs but hadn't driven one of these particular models since I was a student. This, coupled with the fella buying it to restore, meant I was surprised to find it's 23 years old! 

 

IMG_20220524_094922_262.thumb.jpg.8be6ce25c133f583109fdbf25ae1350b.jpg

This is the smaller of the "big" Fastracs with a 155hp Perkins in it. Nice tractor, it ran well and built up air no problem, all the gears worked etc. 

Not quite as cool as the original Fastrac with the Austin Rover steering wheel and wind up windows, but still a pleasant place to be. Air con was ice cold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, scruff said:

Not really a truck, but lots in common. Moved this JCB Fastrac for a bloke this week. I do a lot with Fastracs but hadn't driven one of these particular models since I was a student. This, coupled with the fella buying it to restore, meant I was surprised to find it's 23 years old! 

 

IMG_20220524_094922_262.thumb.jpg.8be6ce25c133f583109fdbf25ae1350b.jpg

This is the smaller of the "big" Fastracs with a 155hp Perkins in it. Nice tractor, it ran well and built up air no problem, all the gears worked etc. 

Not quite as cool as the original Fastrac with the Austin Rover steering wheel and wind up windows, but still a pleasant place to be. Air con was ice cold.

 

Nice tractor. Is it true that it has 10,059 hours on it? But I may have misinterpreted which gauge the hour meter is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, sutty2006 said:

I bet they’re fun to drive! 
 

The oldest merc we see at our place is a 2002 Atego 18 tonner with 700k up it. Believe it or not, it’s nicer to drive than brand new mercs. 

It’s been in for it’s 6 weekly. Still beats the new shite we look after, even if it’s a tad rusty and parts are getting longer to order. (We don’t really stick parts for old stuff anymore). 
 

08C098F0-A2EE-443A-BFE5-6A8B2E3D76C6.thumb.jpeg.0fbd27b3632d08ace9df46f94a716279.jpeg

 

I was wrong about the kms! 
 

6C7FE06C-A87F-4728-AA8D-5D427CA6EE95.thumb.jpeg.4e6d8105366dfadc59a84c725424866c.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 7:31 PM, sutty2006 said:

It’s like the race to the moon. Merc have been itching to get the new electric truck on the market but it looks like Scania will beat them 🤣

This is the only way electric trucks will work, powered on the motorway then batteries for the final few miles, is there even anywhere to charge them up yet

catenary-siemens1.thumb.jpg.ba09cacbb92284e1b3d01940a928183c.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Wack said:

This is the only way electric trucks will work, powered on the motorway then batteries for the final few miles, is there even anywhere to charge them up yet

catenary-siemens1.thumb.jpg.ba09cacbb92284e1b3d01940a928183c.jpg

 

Step back just over 100 years and people came up with the idea of powering buses using a pair of overhead cables. That lasted until 1972, I wonder what old idea will turn up next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Step back just over 100 years and people came up with the idea of powering buses using a pair of overhead cables. That lasted until 1972, I wonder what old idea will turn up next.

Steam. 

Use electric power from the overhead cables to produce electricity to heat a kettle, producing steam to power a push rod crank.  

Ensure you have enough steam to drive to the next cable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Step back just over 100 years and people came up with the idea of powering buses using a pair of overhead cables. That lasted until 1972, I wonder what old idea will turn up next.

Still very much a thing on the continent.

Salzburg's latest is the HESS trolley bus which is powered by both the overhead lines and on-board batteries to allow it to operate away from them. I wonder if they could do the same with delivery lorries within towns (assuming you have the overhead lines...).

https://www.urban-transport-magazine.com/en/salzburg-the-new-hess-battery-trolleybuses/

image.png.3f996a7049a203503b3112b4caed2b6f.png

On the wires, and...

image.png.b7f98886091f54d4e8891ae04c121386.png

off the wires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, goosey said:

That channel in the middle for the hydraulic hoses ? 

No, it’s just resting there.  It’s also perfectly straight.  The camera on my phone isn’t fighting fit and is doing odd things!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Wack said:

This is the only way electric trucks will work, powered on the motorway then batteries for the final few miles, is there even anywhere to charge them up yet

catenary-siemens1.thumb.jpg.ba09cacbb92284e1b3d01940a928183c.jpg

 

So why not put the freight on the railways for long distance haulage and use batteries to the delivery destination.?

FFS put a few together and that’s a train any way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 4:33 AM, Metal Guru said:

So why not put the freight on the railways for long distance haulage and use batteries to the delivery destination.?

FFS put a few together and that’s a train any way.

That was how it was decades ago, now it’s all about just in time deliveries and how the supply chains work today, business expects to place an order today and get it delivered tomorrow, it’s only road transport that can do this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bigstraight6 said:

That was how it was decades ago, now it’s all about just in time deliveries and how the supply chains work today, business expects to place an order today and get it delivered tomorrow, it’s only road transport that can do this.

Yes but most the stuff has been on a boat from China for the last 6 weeks , surely 1 day extra by rail rather than road isn’t a deal breaker.

Ive worked with just in time systems, it’s a substitute for poor management, effectively passing any organisation on to your supplier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Yes but most the stuff has been on a boat from China for the last 6 weeks , surely 1 day extra by rail rather than road isn’t a deal breaker.

Ive worked with just in time systems, it’s a substitute for poor management, effectively passing any organisation on to your supplier.

The rail network can barely cope with what’s on it now in some parts of the country let alone adding more traffic,  and so much of the goods handling parts of the system are long gone,  I would love to see more freight by rail but I just can’t see it happening…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a lot of the reason for HS2, it's a big bypass to get the fastest trains off the busiest bit of the network to give space for slower commuter trains and freight.

More infrastructure would obviously be required but who's to say what that is yet?  A lot of trucks are full of wheeled trolleys which could be unloaded onto passenger platforms overnight and into suitable wagons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Commer Karrier

I think you’re right. Only thing I can’t match is that round horn cover? looking think on the right front side..

 

B27FBAD3-221A-4EAC-BBA6-C7F4011ED0CF.jpeg

D38E0058-F5C3-48AC-B9BB-7C4F5C717B9E.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I think you’re right. Only thing I can’t match is that round horn cover? looking think on the right front side..

 

B27FBAD3-221A-4EAC-BBA6-C7F4011ED0CF.jpeg

D38E0058-F5C3-48AC-B9BB-7C4F5C717B9E.png

Karriers don't have an access flap for the radiator cap either!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, primeradoner said:

Its not a commer or a karrier . Its a Fordson . My father had one  in the early 60s. I think that the cab was borrowed from the rootes group mind

We have a winner. Well done sir. The cabs are very similar but with subtle differences this one in question has to be the Fordson Thames circa early 50s

 

 

5C3D1BB2-8C83-471B-A548-17236EE05A4D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...