Truck Shite

quicksilver

I think the problem Hino had was the right product at the wrong time. That and them being a bit outdated in the cab department.

Quest did some utterly mental buses but I didn't know they did mental trucks too. It looks a bit like a Shelvoke and Drewry bin lorry.

The Hino cab is very simple and 'hose down' so I saw why they only really appealed to construction drivers. It's a 'world truck' so finds itself difficult to compete against indigenous Europeans with their focus on luxury, technology and efficiency. AFAIK Hino don't offer the 700/Profia with an automated gearbox or as a 6x2 tractor - the Asian markets are more sensible and only demand 4x2/6x4 tractors. 

Do Hino even market Euro6 engines now?

I'm surprised that drivers dislike them - don't they just want something robust with a proper gear lever to play with?

Here's a rare one on ebay - 500. Probably an import.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-61-reg-Hino-500-Series-1826-Skip-Loader-/151475145830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23449f4c66

$_57.JPG

I'm surprised MAN are getting a lot of criticism. Is it just their choice to use an EGR system that drains performance and durability not SCR like most of the others? I guess that leaves just MB or Volvo as something that will actually get the job done!

I love them though. It was the idea off engineers in a shed in Telford going " if we stuck the engine in a corner then chain drive the output to the gearbox then a short prop to the axle, we could get a low floor bus out of this"

To hijack an idea were discussing at the auction today, surely if the output from the engine was hooked onto a chain drive.... All you need is a derailleur to give an 8 speed bus. Shite points awarded for using Sturmey-Archer three speed instead.

yoo hoo,  Hino fan here, in fact three of us have asked for Hino to be considered for our job, dead weight and some real awkward places to get in and out of where the auto box can't cope.

Lots of us older drivers are sick to the back bloody teeth of euro shit parcel spec lorries, crammed with electronics we neither want nor need, just more bloody rubbish to go wrong.

I want a simple motor again with a real gearbox, they can stick the badges, the image, the bling, the integrated blootooth, the auto gearbox from hell and the gutless little engines blown to fuck that wouldn't pull you out of bed up their collective arses.

Found it by accident yesterday in Shropshire as I was going to pay for the Corsa.

I'd gone to have a poke round Furber's salvage yard in Prees, but it either isn't open anymore or was shut on Saturdays. Rumour has it he's in the shit financially, though hope that isn't the case.

Anyhow, they have or did have a commercial vehicle breakers there, so would guess this was part of that bit of the business.

It is dog rough

11518677355_0d64f04237_z.jpg

There was a 4 wheeler tanker in the shed for years too

There wasn't many commercials when we went at Christmas --

Those Quests look a bit like the old DAF 2600, peculiar thing that was with the gearbox like many lorries of the time backwards in RHD form, 12 speed splitter IIRC, first nearest to you and 6th away to the left and forwards.

In other news my regular artic tanker has been hit again by one of our own, this time he's jack knife turned it so tight he's crushed the pipe carrier against the tractor fuel tank damaging both, and scuffed the tractor fairing against the side of the tank...how the fuck you do that i dunno and best of it is he didn't know apparently, back on shift tomorrow to find fuck nose what next...you'd think that @ £20 an hour the night blokes average they'd be able to find some bleeder who can drive...

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Shelvoke and Drewery Revopak. It's a pity it isn't the earlier NY type with the Motor Panels cab. I have been looking for a picture of such a Glasgow Shelvoke for many years. I always wanted the Corgi model s I liked seeing them every week in my street.

Quite possible! Were they not largely GRP anyway?

Subcontracting lorry cab production used to be quite common, especially to companies within the same group like AEC and Park Royal or ECW and Bristol. Nowadays cabs are more bespoke and bloody expensive to develop so they remain in production for decades to recover the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

We've got alloys on all our tankers, both tractor units (bar one) and trailers, make a small difference to the overall weight when there's 14 wheels and we do run up to max weight all the time, most operations don't run anywhere near full weight so little to gain apart from the look....plus on general or supermarket work the wheels get clobbered so often on kerbs walls posts you name it that cheap as chips steelies are the order of the day.

Alloys can be painted and indeed  the ones on my refurbed trailer are painted, but they are normally left unpainted and unless you use regular pots of elbow grease to keep them in condition soon look rough (yes i'm sad enough to keep mine polished and as a bonus it annoys some of the others who don't)...only two of our tractors have Staybrite's and one trailer does too, IMO they finish the vehicle off nicely  it's generally well cared for but if the rest of the motor is filthy battered and neglected can make it look like you're trying to polish a turd.

When I was on bulk powder tankers we ran on Alcoa alloy wheels all round. On weight critical operations that run up to the legal maximum (tippers, tankers) anything you can save on the tare weight is extra payload. It's why ERF/Foden was popular in this sector. Fibreglass cabs were much lighter.

From memory I think alloy wheels could save around 1/3 rd of a ton in weight (could be wrong) all I remember is how much of a twat they were to keep clean when you were in and out of stinking quarries all the time, having to drive through the inevitable cess pit of a wheel wash to stop mud getting onto the roads. Our firm used some heavily acidic stuff to keep the wheels shiny.

This was mine in '99. Dutch plates for avoiding crazy at the time UK road tax.

post-5001-0-65639600-1427651914_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...