Truck Shite

quicksilver

Hey Wuvvum, that Daewoo 7.5 tonne lorry you mentioned on page 3 was also marketed in the UK as an Avia. Royal Mail operated a few 7.5 tonne ones out of their Leeds depot (and no doubt a few other places) around 2005/6 ( when I was working in the York mail centre as a distribution driver) as a trial and I remember drivers moaning about how crap they were compared to the Daf LFs RM usually bought. However, Newcastle and some other centres unfortunately had the odd Iveco Cargo on their fleet...

Speaking of which, these initially impressive looking trucks make me smile each time I see one over here and take a closer look at the origins of the cab:

197639777.jpg

Better still, Iveco seem to have bought out ACCO, resulting in this bizarre medley:

L_37819_1_3.jpg

Though they're universally panned, I do still have a soft spot for this one I got to use on a job a couple of years ago:

20091218-IMG_9861.jpg

Leyland is royally knackered but the F88 Ovlov is ace. Have some ERFs for today:

6369825267_b9183296de_z.jpg

Make a B line by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5189548269_189f015e43_z.jpg

Some you Wynn, some you lose by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5245882091_2ae54158ab_z.jpg

Slide rule by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5595008772_655255b450_z.jpg

No longer Rawlin along by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5594424231_9c0b87fe7d_z.jpg

Wright lightweight by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5630724877_208fa03994_z.jpg

Waltzer wagon by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5675618682_c24681fb7c_z.jpg

M and M by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5675771469_d6c70678e9_z.jpg

What will B will be by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5828033389_f72cb1816e_z.jpg

OK you! by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5855807713_dcec7e47f3_z.jpg

The Mayne attraction by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5856787930_3787a6ecf0_z.jpg

Still taking Carey by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5883537783_3f2d73a795_z.jpg

FAX machine by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5890767076_39ea712d9a_z.jpg

Something old...something blue by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5890222259_4877e51159_z.jpg

Dodging the Dodgems by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6072369119_490d013b68_z.jpg

A lorry with a Twist by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6276963850_d7f6e07c7e_z.jpg

Rounding Up an ERF by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

5675076223_067ac7cef1_z.jpg

Mmm...an M-series by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

And some future shite, ERF's only crack at the 7.5 tonne market. A rebadged MAN made in Poland, less than 50 were sold. Sorry for GR3 photo skills

6120280110_7b57ef15d1_z.jpg

One L of a rare lorry by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

I used to be fascinated when the showmans' wagons turned up in the field opposite our house. Those guys work very hard for a living and always left the field spotlessly litter free after all the local oiks had dropped their rubbish wherever they happened to be standing. On Sundays they used to run the rides with the sound systems turned off which was strangely spooky to watch. Unfortunately they don't come here any more, possibly because the field flooded one year and they had a lot of bother getting the wagons out.

I've seen that F88 on the road a few ago, can't remember where tho'.

Anyway, I give you http://www.ashokleyland.com/

The flying arsehole lives!

Got to love how they use the Leyland name and offer this Cargo rip-off!

http://www.ashokleyland.com/defence-vehicles

Ok I know where that is and its not far from me. Did you just walk past? Don't wanna tresspass. Bet there will be one of andersons trailers there if its a sawmill.

no, its just a random google pic. I already knew about the F88 and just wanted to find a pic of it

The Avia/Daewoo 7.5t hot wheels were built in Czech, as a JV between the two companies. They didn't sell well enough here, so were withdrawn, but Smith Electric still use the cabs + chassis for their electric delivery things.

Daewoo did have a crack at the UK market on their own terms, with this monstrosity...

2.jpg

...this particular one's for sale in Eire, but there can't have been more than a handful sold here. I think (and I'm by no means certain about this) they were imported by Harris Bros (the Hino assemblers) in Eire, and the only dealer I (think) I recall. was Pelican Engineering in Wakey.

The ERF 7.5t I genuinely didn't know about, never seen or heard of one! The MAN it's badged from isn't a bad old thing, apart from the alternator being far too low on the block for its' own good. It's been amusing to see how manufacturers have tackled the 7.5t 'hot wheels' thing. They're not nearly as popular on the continent as they are here - trucks that size with the ickle 17.5" wheels tend to be 10/11/12t.

T431ASB.jpg

So how the fuck did Volvo come up with this aberration? The FLC. Without doubt, the worst vehicle of any size or type I've had the misfortune to drive. What an utter bag of diahorrea. This piece of diseased phlegm has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. It was worse than the bigger FL6's, and I'm not sure how that was possible. Even more hilariously, they dropped it for a year or so, and relaunched it as the FL08, citing many improvements. Where were they, Volvo? I didn't see them...

Ashok Leyland as a whole has led a charmed life. Originally a colonial offshoot of Leyland, they went it alone some time back. For a while, they were allowed to use the little T45 cab (the Roadrunner one), but Paccar decided otherwise. So they relied solely on an existing deal with Iveco to use that cab, and provide pressings back to Italy (as some military Ivecos/Astras used the square cab for a good while after the redesign, and the substructures are basically the same anyway).

Wisely, they ran a mile from Iveco's grenades/engines (afaik), preferring to keep building old Leyland engines (you can still buy a 680 from them, if you search the website!), and (I think) going into JV's with Nissan and Cummins for newer generation engines. Good old Indian mix'n'match engineering at its' finest. And, let's face it, if you want to run a tinpot dictatorship on tuppence ha'penny, they've got to be your first step up from drab painted Hiluxes... :lol:

ERF stands for Eddy Ramrod's Favourite... 8) I love an EC11... That MAN 7.5 will have been made after the takeover, I expect; I used to drive a larger MAN-based ERF on an 04 plate. The 7.5 should be a decent enough tool, I drove them with their original badge and couldn't find many faults. Although at that weight I'd much rather have a nice Roadrunner...

ERF's only crack at the 7.5 tonne market.

ERFEP6copyfromTurkishBMC_1998.jpg

Are you sure? :lol:

The ERF ES6 did indeed have a BMC cab, but it's old-school ERF underneath. As BMC is the descendent of BMC Turkey, and the trucks they sent here were more-or-less specced like these ERF's, I think there's a kind of weird symmetry to it.

Did ERF put them out as 7.5t? The one in the pic's an ex-Jarvie Plant 18t.

There was another previous attempt by ERF to get some narrow cab 18/26t sales; the ES6...

3613310847_db468315a4.jpg

They sold more, and they lasted longer than the BMC's. Steyr were the originators of that cab, hence 'ES'. Not 'Extra Special'. Altho' it came back around again once MAN had the rights to that cab!

The first 'recab' out of the blocks after the takeover was the ECS;

Y657GFM.jpg

With the high roof version of this cab, it could've worked better, but it wasn't a bad old thing. Asda had quite a few, this might well have been one - reg seems familiar.

A couple of quick 'commando' entries to the UK truck market:

pegasotroner.jpg

The rather funky Pegaso Troner. Apparently, there's one in hiding not too far from here!

steyr-tilt1.jpg

And the quite odd Steyr.

volvo-fs-7.jpg

Last but not least, the Volvo FS7. Never quite got to the bottom of this; a company near me had a really doggy one, which I didn't think to take a pic of (it was a while ago now). Depending who you believed, the 'S' stood for 'Swiss' or 'Supercharged'. The former 'cos Swiss operators needed the narrow cab to meet regs, but needed the power of the 7L motor; the latter because it was supercharged, not turbocharged. Either's credible, but I'm not sure which is true. What is true, is that the cab was raised to accomodate the taller TD70 engine, which makes it look a bit odd. It's still got the narrow cab, so it's still shit. Troo Facs.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Daewoo tipper I posted before, had a 420hp V8 of massive capacity. They may have miscalculated a little - UK tipper operators prefer to buy underpowered wheezers you have to rev the nuts off...

That Pegaso looks decidely 'DAF 95' to me but I'm no expert.

Quite a few ECFs about, Hoyer (I think) had rucks of them on a fuel contract and they have lasted pretty well with a few hitting the million k mark, though a lot were getting new engines around 850k.

I've seen that F88 on the road a few ago, can't remember where tho'.

Anyway, I give you http://www.ashokleyland.com/

The flying arsehole lives!

Got to love how they use the Leyland name and offer this Cargo rip-off!

http://www.ashokleyland.com/defence-vehicles

watching the you tube clip of it in action it sounds like harry enfield's "tim but dim" that is doing the commentary :roll:

Had a passenger ride in a 95 once with no trailer. Bloody hell that thing could go some, very impressed. Not sure what other maker used the cab though sorry :(

Quite a few ECFs about, Hoyer (I think) had rucks of them on a fuel contract and they have lasted pretty well with a few hitting the million k mark, though a lot were getting new engines around 850k.

Still a fair few about up here, Hoyer and others are still using them for tank work. 850thou+ for a tanker's engine isn't bad; the idling away for hours at a time, driving the pump gear takes a toll on their longevity. Good old Cummins...

I posted up a picture of a Pegaso Troner a couple of years ago that I snapped whilst at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in Lathalmond.

Its in the yard next to it which is full of old hulks.

Here it is:

081-1.jpg

It has the Cabtec Cab which was developed when Pegaso, Seddon Atkinson and DAF were all part of the ENASA Group. Still being used today in the Daf XF. Pegaso was first off the mark, just. When new, they had mega white wheel trims!

Western Star used the Daf Cab in Australia, however it might be that it was just a rebadged DAF 95. International Harvester having a hand in things somewhere rings a bell, however I could be getting confused as Sed Atki were owned my them for a good while.

Raba used an earlier 3300- type cab and Roman used MAN cabs. The latter were another brief stab at the UK market, although I'm not sure how many were sold.

^That's the one! Forgot to have a nose about for it, last time I was there. It was on BigLorryBlog, which I can't find now, but the link to it is here, from when you posted it the first time!

Still love to dig that out and get it working. Screw howmanyleft, you can be very sure this is the only UK one left.

Raba used an earlier 3300- type cab and Roman used MAN cabs. The latter were another brief stab at the UK market, although I'm not sure how many were sold.

That was all I was finding. IIRC the Romans were heavy duty/construction type things? I'd imagine they didn't sell well against the OAF-built MAN FE's. I'd think the Western Stars were Cabtec cabs on their famously tough chassis, so that could be my mystery 4th Cabtec user, cheers.

More on recent topics :)

Suitably shitey ERF ES

5990855280_f3c7da6fe1_z.jpg

ES ist nicht so gut by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

The same circus also has a couple of Stratos but later ones with the Iveco cab

5631194758_605bff93f0_z.jpg

Strato-spheric by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

4995059065_5f2ca42f85_z.jpg

Big Kid grows up by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

Fairground Strato

5631327312_634d11664e_z.jpg

This SUX! by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

Dutch Pegaso

5233742107_33ff2f4c17_z.jpg

A giant build by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

Mean black DAF

4942584644_791d9c842d_z.jpg

No longer Rocking this City by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

The last ERF, the ECT

5612291013_2924c3048c_z.jpg

ECT time by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

There was also and Iveco recovery truck there together with a b or c series Erf. Think I got a pic of them.

Only prob with the pegaso is their engines are reportedly not too good, all the better to keep it! Wonder what the mechanical spares situation would be like?

I'd imagine if their a Cummins lump that spares would be pretty easy to get and also swapping it for a better engine. Rolls Royce/Perkins engines take a bit of stick in some quarters but I've talked to people who almost worship them.

The ERF ES6 did indeed have a BMC cab, but it's old-school ERF underneath. As BMC is the descendent of BMC Turkey, and the trucks they sent here were more-or-less specced like these ERF's, I think there's a kind of weird symmetry to it.

Did ERF put them out as 7.5t? The one in the pic's an ex-Jarvie Plant 18t.

There was another previous attempt by ERF to get some narrow cab 18/26t sales; the ES6...

3613310847_db468315a4.jpg

They sold more, and they lasted longer than the BMC's. Steyr were the originators of that cab, hence 'ES'. Not 'Extra Special'. Altho' it came back around again once MAN had the rights to that cab!

I wonder did they share anything with these 1980s Mercedes ?

car_id_979_1.jpg

Back to the Spanish theme, a Dodge badged Barreiros must be pretty rare nowadays, they weren't exactly common when new:

6668016577_4a04429b05.jpg

1978 Dodge Barreiros Tractor Unit with Low-load Trailer by geoffp5, on Flickr

Seen on steam fair transport duties, but this lovely Volvo F10 looks just as if it is in everyday use:

6668016593_5115cee85f.jpg

Volvo F10 Tractor Unit with Low-load Trailer by geoffp5, on Flickr

Immaculate ERF:

6668016601_46aaeedc43.jpg

1990 ERF E series Tractor Unit with Low-load Trailer by geoffp5, on Flickr

Workaday Atki Strato with the earlier cab(?) (taken in poor light :( ):

6668016607_72d8d55cb4.jpg

1994 Seddon Atkinson Strato Tractor Unit with Low-load Trailer by geoffp5, on Flickr

And as a bonus, an AWD still in daily use with a local greengrocers 8) :

6668016615_2fbfee04ac.jpg

1992 AWD Truck by geoffp5, on Flickr

I wonder did they share anything with these 1980s Mercedes ?

I miss those old Merc's too; I can't think of anything with a bigger steering wheel. Probly not even Ark Royal. Merc have very much ploughed their own furrow, with their developments; their metalwork and mechanical parts don't really turn up in any other CV's. Even the 'Titan' heavy haulers are built by a fully-owned subsidiary.

So the ERF ES + EP, were a case of ERF trying to put a different type of cab on their existing chassis. The contemporary EC cab (as on the showman's motors) was full width, and some operators like a narrow cab for manoeverability.

As to the Pegaso, I'm inclined to agree that a gubbed engine might be a proper headache to sort out.

However...on the upside, it has a ZF 16S gearbox, which has been bolted onto tons of engines, so another S6 of that generation should fit in there just fine. In mechanical pump engines alone, there's Cummins 10+14L (DAF even fitted the 14L 525hp to the 95 for a couple of years), Cat 12L and the various Perkins/Rolls motors. Thinking a bit laterally, ZF's should also have bellhousings which will bolt onto MAN, Mack and Renault motors.

Anyhoo...back to truckshite.

2894087589_d2f517cfaa.jpg

These ran the Volvo FL6's close for sheer miserableness. They were cunningly engineered from regular 18t 4x2's into low-ride 6x2's, and they worked well for lugging cases of 'Bru off the deck. Pity they uprated them to 22t while forgetting to do anything about the 180hp Perkins Phaser motor. Slow isn't the half of it! 2.5h from Kirkcaldy to Brechin was a regular journey - 1.5h would be a good time, but slogging up out of Dundee in 1st or 2nd on the A90 put paid to that. They were supposed to have been replaced by 240hp Axors by now, but there's quite a few still kicking about.

IMAG0639.jpg

Scania 92 cherry picker, spotted in Edinburgh this very day!

IMAG0631.jpg

P-plate MAN at the back there (if you squint a bit :lol: ) as spotted at Asda Washington the other day. It was a local company's motor, but I forget their name now.

And while we're in the North East; what's the story with the CV garage out on the A1 north of Morpeth? I've passed it many times, there's always interesting military surplus trucks in the yard, but I never get a good look.