Truck Shite

quicksilver

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

There are only two International Lonestars in the UK, one each with American truck fans Neil Yates and Mick Gould. I'd never seen anything from either fleet but last night I was looking at photos of them. Couldn't believe my eyes when less than 24 hours later Neil's Lonestar turned up right in front of me!

N100NYR.thumb.jpg.f28abbff7e9014ff9230b4ba18179f56.jpg

What a big ugly brute. I wouldn't say it's good looking but certainly imposing and eye-catching.

Was working on the M3 at night a few months ago and saw a fleet of Mick Gould's recovery lorries drive past, including his Lonestar, hell of a sight!

On 4/22/2023 at 7:14 PM, Dyslexic Viking said:

Something quite rare has come up for sale here. 2007 MB Vario 7.5 tonnes in short version and which has almost 3.8 tonnes payload. Vario is rare here anyway, but the short version is even more rare and this one is in very good condition and low km only 146,000km. Dad is a little frustrated that he doesn't have the opportunity to buy this as this is his dream van. And would be perfect for his use with the payload and short length.

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Beg,  borrow and steal. United Utilities used to run them on the power lines job when we were contracting for them. They're bloody ace. Get it bought.

5 minutes ago, Matty said:

Beg,  borrow and steal. United Utilities used to run them on the power lines job when we were contracting for them. They're bloody ace. Get it bought.

A 2011 model with 4x4 and snow plow attachment has also come up for sale here now.

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=283429189

I really like these.

3 hours ago, Volksy said:

Looks like a truck version of the Lancia Thesis!

File:Lancia Thesis Centenario - Grigio Palladio.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I was going to say they were the truck version of a PT Cruiser, but that's even better! The resemblance is uncanny.

6 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

A 2011 model with 4x4 and snow plow attachment has also come up for sale here now.

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=283429189

I really like these.

stop.gif.990f9324cc4dca2766e617e6b659ad80.gif

I saw a Vario in action today - Oxfordshire Fire Service's incident command unit, still going strong at almost 25 years old. Not sure what it was doing as it wasn't in Oxfordshire and went towards Milton Keynes on blues but came back with lights off about 15 mins later. It has proper old-school two-tone horns that sound so much nicer than the modern electronic ones.

S134AWL.thumb.jpg.417c52aeb1f68b5f90d7047416eb6d98.jpg

On looking at the photo I was impressed that even on a blue light run the passenger still managed to spot and wave at the camera.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:09 PM, quicksilver said:

I saw a Vario in action today - Oxfordshire Fire Service's incident command unit, still going strong at almost 25 years old. Not sure what it was doing as it wasn't in Oxfordshire and went towards Milton Keynes on blues but came back with lights off about 15 mins later. It has proper old-school two-tone horns that sound so much nicer than the modern electronic ones.

S134AWL.thumb.jpg.417c52aeb1f68b5f90d7047416eb6d98.jpg

On looking at the photo I was impressed that even on a blue light run the passenger still managed to spot and wave at the camera.

Probably on training. 

On 4/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, quicksilver said:

There are only two International Lonestars in the UK, one each with American truck fans Neil Yates and Mick Gould. I'd never seen anything from either fleet but last night I was looking at photos of them. Couldn't believe my eyes when less than 24 hours later Neil's Lonestar turned up right in front of me!

N100NYR.thumb.jpg.f28abbff7e9014ff9230b4ba18179f56.jpg

What a big ugly brute. I wouldn't say it's good looking but certainly imposing and eye-catching.

Not a fan of the daft sunvisor but otherwise!

Let's hope Traton get their act together and put the new 13L 560 Scania engine in these, that'll give

Freightliner a fright.

8 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Longer lorries to be allowed on Britain's roads - BBC News

Are these longer semi trailers or a multi-trailer combo?

I think this is allowing semi/artics to be the same length as a drawbar rigid, roughly. 

According to this the current limit for artics is 16.5m and rigid/drawbar combo can be 18.75m, the article mentions 18.55m as a 2.05m increase so its talking about artic trailers.

1 hour ago, willswitchengage said:

We currently have the contract for cazoo doing their artics and trailers. They’re that long, scary to drive with mirror cameras. I don’t drive them but our class one guys don’t like them. Nor do we have the workshop or tools to fix them. 🙄

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

I think this is allowing semi/artics to be the same length as a drawbar rigid, roughly. 

According to this the current limit for artics is 16.5m and rigid/drawbar combo can be 18.75m, the article mentions 18.55m as a 2.05m increase so its talking about artic trailers.

It's just ending the trial of these things (Longer Semi-Trailers) and finally accepting they're safe after 12 years. There's nothing really new or radical as over 2500 of them are running around already and they've clocked up hundreds of thousands of miles without major incidents so it's about time they came out of trial status.

Gregory_WP71LVJ_Buckingham_2022-04-05.thumb.jpg.6e93949c17afaed812572a62672a0465.jpg

1 hour ago, willswitchengage said:

They're the longer trailers that have been on the road for some years now - still the same weight limit though. They were categorised as 'on trial' and only certain operators were approved to run them; this was on the basis that the drivers undertook specific training and the trailers were principally for trunking use. All this is now is the mainstreaming of the trial.

I did the training with Asda, who trialled inter urban with theirs and had wiped out a pedestrian island in Edinburgh within the first fortnight. No injuries thankfully, as the people standing on it were quick enough and/or damn lucky. In fact, in setting up the training session, one of the (very experienced) yard shunters swung the arse of one into a building. Slightly embarrassing, but a salutory lesson illustrated.

They shouldn't be used out with the trunking role, but that's what will happen. You can get extra stuff on a trailer without paying the driver a penny more? Win all the way, then. Extra training will be out the window. That's just the nature of the industry. 

I will say though, once you're used to them, the spread bogie and rear steer make them hilarious to fire through corners and roundabouts surprisingly quickly. And due to that, they can be slightly better on fuel and tyre wear. Pig to fix though, the rest steer mechanisms can be finicky to set up, and drivers do need to know how to troubleshoot and bodge to get themselves home sometimes.

10 hours ago, quicksilver said:

It's just ending the trial of these things (Longer Semi-Trailers) and finally accepting they're safe after 12 years. There's nothing really new or radical as over 2500 of them are running around already and they've clocked up hundreds of thousands of miles without major incidents so it's about time they came out of trial status.

Gregory_WP71LVJ_Buckingham_2022-04-05.thumb.jpg.6e93949c17afaed812572a62672a0465.jpg

These are only any good for trunking, certainly not for general haulage/multi dropping that I do, I can only just about get in and out of some places with my triaxle…

It would be good loading practice - it wouldn't matter a jot if you cocked it up and damaged something!

An old running mate of mine told a good tale about his time on transporters: his second last drop one day was at a dealership in the east end of London, which was notorious for being hemmed in by low bridges; last drop out in Essex, and it would work out well to knock them out quick. So, wrapping up the second last drop, he'd a couple of Renaults left on the top deck, and backed them down a bit to reduce the running height, so he could squeeze under the bridge that stood between where he was, and the shortest route to the last drop. Luckily, there was the obligatory wee old man who 'watched' it for him and waved him through under the old iron bridge. He was sure he'd heard something, but on checking (and on the wee old man's say so) couldn't see any damage, so he assumed he was hearing things under stress, or maybe a safety chain had rattled. Off to Essex.

Only once unloaded, did he discover the hole where the aerial had ripped out of the roof of one of the cars...! It must've just and no more, caught in one of the bridge girders as he crawled under. Ping! Off it came.

Another one for the 'Eh, boss...slight problem...' phone call files.

Definitely. It showed in those trailers, because they usually had an auto locking set up for reversing, and the pins, pneumatic actuators and electronics could all give trouble - mostly a simple case of shoogling a connection, trimming a hose or battering seven bells out of it. You kinda had to, cos reversing one with the steering wheels out of line was near impossible unless on gravel or shiny concrete.

My stepmother I managed to blag my way into the Department of Public Works and Highways motor pool in San Jose de Buenavista. 

The highlights of this visit being three late '60s Isuzu TDJs.

One was very dead...

tdj_1.thumb.jpg.7bffcf46197eaa4e9b84fe00d8100396.jpg

One was mostly dead...

tdj_2.thumb.jpg.8115782a8fd2e06c66c0eb496c19d18e.jpg

This one is still alive! Employed as a water tanker.

tdj_3.thumb.jpg.00f8ffe54b8577401b2441f76983f6d5.jpg