Truck Shite

quicksilver

This must be quite a rarity - a very early Renault Premium, now over 25 years old. The same chap also has a Volvo F88 but I think that's just for shows whereas this one still works for a living.

P955SPP.thumb.jpg.76898d5f016e4d705a9d1e037a168fa0.jpg

I did catch the merest glimpse of something even older though. Looked round to see an old 6x4 tractor unit with upright pipes disappearing into the distance that had come down to the roundabout and turned left away from me - I prayed for it to come back my way but it didn't. I think it was a Scammell Crusader!

36 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

This must be quite a rarity - a very early Renault Premium, now over 25 years old. The same chap also has a Volvo F88 but I think that's just for shows whereas this one still works for a living.

P955SPP.thumb.jpg.76898d5f016e4d705a9d1e037a168fa0.jpg

I did catch the merest glimpse of something even older though. Looked round to see an old 6x4 tractor unit with upright pipes disappearing into the distance that had come down to the roundabout and turned left away from me - I prayed for it to come back my way but it didn't. I think it was a Scammell Crusader!

I’ve driven a few of these and was impressed..

Assistance request from the AS massive, yo; an Ford tractor unit looking resplendent  in unmarked  white was observed on the M25\M26 earlier. 

The last time I recall seeing a newish Ford Lorry- as opposed to an Iveco Ford- was probably 1986. I would have been at Primary School then and I think the operator of that lorry was TNT. 

Anyhoo; it looked like this:

Screenshot_20230307-153338.png

12 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I think Ford will struggle with the UK market being very competitive between Scania, DAF, MAN, Volvo, Renault, Iveco, Mercedes  and HINO… 

Wow! Didn't realise Hi o were still selling in the UK! 

I remember seeing a number of their tippers. Then they seemed to suddenly disappear. Mc Kenna Demolition had one. Used to see it regularly around the Tooting\ Mitcham area! 😎 

3 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I remember seeing a number of their tippers. Then they seemed to suddenly disappear. Mc Kenna Demolition had one. Used to see it regularly around the Tooting\ Mitcham area! 😎 

I know I used to see loads, but unsure of their current status on the uk market. They were popular tipper spec, and that’s about all they were good for. 

19 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Ford of Turkey makes them and they are very popular over there. A few get sold on the continent and end up with EU numberplates, but most will be Turkish reg. Good spot. Wonder if they will ever make it in RHD?

The F-Max, I don't know if they still do but Moody's in Grimsby could supply them at one time.

4 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I think they stopped selling after Euro3 or 4 as Hino couldn't supply a compliant engine anymore. Plus they weren't very luxurious, manual only option, hose down etc. Didn't really fit the bill compared to everything else on the market. I think they're great though.  They were imported via some CKD route in Ireland

It is now quite common here for Eastern Europeans to steal truck parts and disappear eastwards before the police catch them. So coming to work in the morning and finding the truck like this below is starting to become normal.

1822927365_Screenshot2023-03-0817_22_20.thumb.png.d3f6f994635521774450a78c017628e6.png

Free movement between borders has its downsides.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:24 PM, willswitchengage said:

Ford of Turkey makes them and they are very popular over there. A few get sold on the continent and end up with EU numberplates, but most will be Turkish reg. Good spot. Wonder if they will ever make it in RHD?

I occasionally see one or two, usually eastern European but I did catch one from a Dutch fleet so they're starting to find some favour in the west. Never seen one but there are a handful of LHD private imports on UK plates, and I've heard rumours Ford UK are considering official RHD imports. They might have to expand the range though as there's only one spec - 500bhp 4x2, which isn't what most British operators want.

On 3/8/2023 at 3:26 PM, willswitchengage said:

I think they stopped selling after Euro3 or 4 as Hino couldn't supply a compliant engine anymore. Plus they weren't very luxurious, manual only option, hose down etc. Didn't really fit the bill compared to everything else on the market. I think they're great though.  They were imported via some CKD route in Ireland

The last UK Hinos were registered in 2014 and imports stopped then as they didn't have a Euro 6 engine. Harris Assemblers who sold them are now importing the Sinotruk from China, a similar basic vehicle that would appeal to the same sort of people, but have only sold a tiny handful so far.

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I occasionally see one or two, usually eastern European but I did catch one from a Dutch fleet so they're starting to find some favour in the west. Never seen one but there are a handful of LHD private imports on UK plates, and I've heard rumours Ford UK are considering official RHD imports. They might have to expand the range though as there's only one spec - 500bhp 4x2, which isn't what most British operators want.

The last UK Hinos were registered in 2014 and imports stopped then as they didn't have a Euro 6 engine. Harris Assemblers who sold them are now importing the Sinotruk from China, a similar basic vehicle that would appeal to the same sort of people, but have only sold a tiny handful so far.

The cab- and Engine designation seem familiar; reverse-engineered\ licence built Volvo? 

It's predecessor seems to have the 'Wendy house' cab... 

https://harrisgroup.ie/model/sinotruk-a7-series/

Looks suspiciously like a reworking of the old wendy house Volvo FL cab with an Actros-style grille.  There's also a high-roof version (a sort of might-have-been FL Globetrotter) and the A7 range that uses the first-gen FH/FM cabs. Interesting that those in the pic are RHD so they must be export spec.

I can never really work out where the market is for some vehicles. A 4x4 tractor unit designed specifically for agricultural use sounds ridiculously niche to me, so the market must be quite small. On the other hand, I mean look at it coolest looking thing ever. I think it has extra hitches for 5th wheel and ag trailers as well as a PTO for actual fieldwork. 

Behold!

1A003F3F-3A9D-4185-AAB2-257F38DAACA5.thumb.webp.cb8ac88d51fc6d945baea8cc39c2190c.webp

CE8024BA-4D7C-4CDB-B940-1A1561A459D4.jpeg.8f52f30dd3eadd101a8ea7a3a3ad5be2.jpeg

47AF64DF-D5BF-4917-959A-A8457FDD460D.thumb.webp.501a776b85e568730858334d1355d364.webp

Btw farmers overseas do often use trucks for off field haulage in favourable (dry) conditions, it was even done in the UK by some operators.

45 minutes ago, warch said:

I can never really work out where the market is for some vehicles. A 4x4 tractor unit designed specifically for agricultural use sounds ridiculously niche to me, so the market must be quite small. On the other hand, I mean look at it coolest looking thing ever. I think it has extra hitches for 5th wheel and ag trailers as well as a PTO for actual fieldwork. 

Behold!

1A003F3F-3A9D-4185-AAB2-257F38DAACA5.thumb.webp.cb8ac88d51fc6d945baea8cc39c2190c.webp

47AF64DF-D5BF-4917-959A-A8457FDD460D.thumb.webp.501a776b85e568730858334d1355d364.webp

Btw farmers overseas do often use trucks for off field haulage in favourable (dry) conditions, it was even done in the UK by some operators.

Modern tractors are now so big and heavy that a truck is probably not heavier and with flotation tires and 4x4 or 6x6 or 8x8 they are probably no worse than a tractor.

2 hours ago, warch said:

Behold!

I would have thought agricultural haulage ( including forestry) was a huge industry and a 4x4 tractor would be really useful, not to mention places where the road is not tarmac. 
Watching Outback Truckers I always wonder why no one has a 4x4 tractor as the always seen to get stuck in the dirt roads.

25 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I would have thought agricultural haulage ( including forestry) was a huge industry and a 4x4 tractor would be really useful, not to mention places where the road is not tarmac. 
Watching Outback Truckers I always wonder why no one has a 4x4 tractor as the always seen to get stuck in the dirt roads.

This does have some similarities with forestry trucks which, where I live seem to be 6x4 wagon and drags, often with tyre pressure systems fitted. It’s amazing where they’ll go.

Iirc the big American trucks on Outback Truckers are usually 6x4s with cross locks.