Truck Shite

quicksilver

3 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

I could be wrong, but I've a funny feeling that FL7 is an ex Strathclyde Fire Brigade hookloader. Wonder if they've got the kit skids as well as the plant one that's on it.

I did think it looked like an ex fire engine but it would appear not. Just checked the Fire Brigade Handbook from 2007 and R74 HGD isn't listed under Strathclyde or anywhere else. It was operated by D J Spall, whose vehicles all appear to be in that livery, but presumably did originate in the Glasgow area.

Having been to Russia in 2018 they are sadly pretty rare these days. Wealthy areas such as Moscow tend to use fancy new European stuff, although with war embargoes I imagine we'll see fewer MEN and Scanias etc. The Kamaz design however is still pretty uniquitous both in Russia and the rest of the CIS. It's the only home-grown truck I saw out there.

North American trucks are popular though with Putin recently relaxing second hand import regulations. This is a typical scene of US and European bangers together, both pulling European trailers.

8960592932_8ff3c6c0d4_k.jpg

For the first time in three years, Milton Keynes had a bonfire fair. A smaller affair than previous years, no Fodens but still a few ERFs including these three from the immaculate James Harris fleet.

harris.thumb.jpg.b4b0ed73b641503664228f2ce9550598.jpg

And this veteran is pleasingly still going despite rumours it was being replaced

GEG968W.thumb.jpg.a0e965f33c9e46ed2b839b9905364722.jpg

On 22/10/2022 at 14:51, quicksilver said:

It's time for the annual funfair. Not as many lorries as there used to be as more and more showmen are buying smaller equipment they can pull with vans or 4x4s, but still a few ERFs hanging on. This one continues to amaze me just by still existing as it's been around for over 20 years and looked like a pile of shit for basically all that time - he's literally never done anything at all to it cosmetically but one assumes it runs much better than it looks. The first photo was taken in 2001, the second last weekend.

Nichols_Paul_E644SOG_Buckingham_2001-10-13.thumb.jpg.aab8108768e785c1e09591d79e190d9f.jpg

E644SOG.thumb.jpg.bea72b035db5171dd9624d466aa8d4de.jpg

Weird coincidence, I saww this on the M40 heading towards London on Friday when I picked up the Saab. It really does look a state, doesn't it?! 

7 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I’ve just watched the episode with that in, 3?, it gets shot to bits then blown up. Jolly good show! What what. 

I’ve haven’t started watching it yet, is it any good? I usually quite enjoy Steven Knight stuff. The desert war was quite interesting both sides had some amazing looking kit especially the Italians. The as 42 looks like something from Aliens and was used by the Italian equivalent to the Long Range Desert Group.

FE515066-0D30-465E-A8C5-8AF6FE4F9CBF.gif.bf2f7dae66fd0304a4b5fb1559522535.gif

On 17/11/2022 at 12:20, martc said:

A FIAT 619 I believe. Can't comment on whether it's Dover or not...

Definitely Not Dover. There are buildings in the far distance, at Dover, once past the harbour wall, it’s just sea. The gantry has had Dover on it in massive letters since  at least the 70s though that pic looks maybe 60s.

Looks more like the Woolwich ferry to me.

Two from the YORK Trailers collection that I'm about to send the negatives off to the company as they still exist. I've sent these pics via email and got the following reply;

'Some of the long serving employee’s and even some of our retired employees have enjoyed looking at them and trying to remember the trucks ,driver and what we were doing in that location.

Our former workshop manager remembers the vehicles and several retired employees including my dad remember the drivers name, Tom Knight nickname “Shonka”'

Location is Corby, (GUY Big J8) best part of forty years in the steel industry means I know a Blast Furnace when I see one. Took a bit of working out where it was but the office block in the background (above the trailor) gave it away, the asbestos riddled one we use to refer to it as (was stripped and demolished) at work.

Enjoy.

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.02ec0a1c6f2514e9bc29ab6579ccda8b.JPG

"Shonka"

IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.7a3be0a9fb2bfd0956b73af603f588c9.JPG

21 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

Two from the YORK Trailers collection that I'm about to send the negatives off to the company as they still exist. I've sent these pics via email and got the following reply;

'Some of the long serving employee’s and even some of our retired employees have enjoyed looking at them and trying to remember the trucks ,driver and what we were doing in that location.

Our former workshop manager remembers the vehicles and several retired employees including my dad remember the drivers name, Tom Knight nickname “Shonka”'

Location is Corby, (GUY Big J8) best part of forty years in the steel industry means I know a Blast Furnace when I see one. Took a bit of working out where it was but the office block in the background (above the trailor) gave it away, the asbestos riddled one we use to refer to it as (was stripped and demolished) at work.

Enjoy.

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.02ec0a1c6f2514e9bc29ab6579ccda8b.JPG

"Shonka"

IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.7a3be0a9fb2bfd0956b73af603f588c9.JPG

Smiths of Bletchington, still very much going strong and I often see them round here. No Guy Big Js anymore, mostly DAFs now but they had a liking for Fodens. Managed to get this great shot of 4 in a row this summer.

SmithsBletchington_KP65KXN_Buckingham_2022-06-23.thumb.jpg.3efd8ccce261c9ec7303e3ae3c991730.jpg

7 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Didn't have a clue WTF this was when I saw it this morning. It's some sort of Merkin Volvo-White thing but whatever it is, it sounds amazing. Yes, those are Volvo 240 headlights.

N12REC.thumb.jpg.c4c73491c49fd82eb75ada7aae463ac0.jpg

16 litre lump in that, if the DVLA record is correct - I don't know of a unit that size in Murican stuff from that era.

If it's true, I bet that goes well!

This was a surprise. Looks like a typical eastern European truck but there's a web address visible in the pogweaseled paint - 'kentvale.co.uk'. Kentvale is the car transport division of EM Rogers from Northampton, so it was only about 20 miles from its former home and probably would have been up and down here quite often carrying cars to and from Bicester Heritage.

SV25MDT.thumb.jpg.c768a7340c1e853ec69d73cceec31f50.jpg

My work's been big spending, a fleet of new MAN's to replace the mix of Merc's, DAF's and a MAN used for the scrap metal contract, as well as some more Scanias's coming along. Some new LF's have came too!

Got to say, love the new TGX's! Driving it is miles better than the older ones we had, in which I found had a horrendous gearbox! Like chalk and cheese now. But we'll see how they fair in the long run mechanical wise...the '22 Reg DAF 106's have, have had a few big things go wrong!