Truck Shite

quicksilver

I was hoping to see a 72 reg this week but wasn't expecting a 1972 reg! Look at this glorious beast: 50-year old Atkinson Borderer, period trailer, Gardner 240, aftermarket sleeper box, patinated paintwork and Serck plates. Absolute perfection and I wouldn't change a thing.

HXG442L.thumb.jpg.416d1727b6203fec5320307e0e0ff0b7.jpg

Its load is quite interesting too, a 1922 Kerr Stuart 'Wren' narrow-gauge locomotive from the Leighton Buzzard Railway, where I assume it was heading.

4 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I was hoping to see a 72 reg this week but wasn't expecting a 1972 reg! Look at this glorious beast: 50-year old Atkinson Borderer, period trailer, Gardner 240, aftermarket sleeper box, patinated paintwork and Serck plates. Absolute perfection and I wouldn't change a thing.

HXG442L.thumb.jpg.416d1727b6203fec5320307e0e0ff0b7.jpg

Its load is quite interesting too, a 1922 Kerr Stuart 'Wren' narrow-gauge locomotive from the Leighton Buzzard Railway, where I assume it was heading.

Now that is an absolute stunner.

I'd love to go into business doing locomotive/traction engine/general heritage logistics using a classic truck like that.

image.png.affefa4e146383a18949135298e5802f.png

image.png.5d3e183278bfc01bfa99be7b97f5e293.png

IFA Schöner Multicar M22 http://www.fahrzeugseiten.de/Nutzfahrzeuge/IFA/Multicar_M22_/multicar_m22_.html

Multicar are still with us, now called Hako Multicar rather than IFA. I think they are the only survivors of the great East German IFA vehcle manufacturing combine (Simsom, MZ, Trabant, Wartburg, Barkas, Robur, IFA and others all gone).

The IFA Multicar M25 range was certainly sold in the UK and widely used by councils as road sweepers etc using British made Scarab equipment - does this look familiar? -

image.png.3ff9525bd6973a51a9e67a8062b75335.png

Note the prominanat IFA badge https://www.scarab-sweepers.com/about-us/history

The Hako Multicar M31 is the current model -

image.png.c0e90fb8b2b59082aa1d7c90f96e4a7d.png

https://www.hako.com/en/products/municipal-technology/multifunctional-load-and-implement-carriers/overview

7 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Scarab road scrubbers used to be a familiar sight, probably culled though.

Scarab are still with us, see the links in my post above. Our Local Authority uses Johnson sweepers - another UK manufacturer, in Dorking, still very much with us and making a large range of municipal and construction cleaning vehicles. They are now owned by Bucher a Swiss company.

image.png.2a4e8b44cf968383b350f13479a0334c.png

On 5/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, Asimo said:

This is a new one on me - a "threepenny bit" with a long bonnet?

919715058_Screenshot2022-05-08at11_36_08.thumb.png.d7c6c0e24b8996b66224d47a28e150e6.png

https://www.brightwells.com/timed-sale/5240/lot/573179

Not looked at this thread for ages, its a great read. This isn't a 6/98 engined one, those had much larger wheels and a shorter snout. This is still a 4 cylinder but it's a very rare Morris FM. It's an FG built for Post Office Telephones. The engine was pushed right forward to allow a full width bench seat to be fitted. On a normal FG the engine kennel is partially between the seats.

7 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Not looked at this thread for ages, its a great read. This isn't a 6/98 engined one, those had much larger wheels and a shorter snout. This is still a 4 cylinder but it's a very rare Morris FM. It's an FG built for Post Office Telephones. The engine was pushed right forward to allow a full width bench seat to be fitted. On a normal FG the engine kennel is partially between the seats.

Interesting that Morris were prepared to fundamentally alter a lorry for one customer, they can't have made much money out of it. Are there any manufacturers now-a-days who are prepared to move an engine, alter the chassis and bodywork (floor, scuttle, dash etc), use different length cables, wiring loom and linkages and install different seats to win one order?

I know there are myriads of options and, living in East Yorkshire, I see plenty of bare chassis going off to various body builders (motor homes, ambulances, delivery vans, buses etc) but to actually move an engine to get one more body in the cab; is there anyone prepared to do this?

7 hours ago, martc said:

Interesting that Morris were prepared to fundamentally alter a lorry for one customer, they can't have made much money out of it. Are there any manufacturers now-a-days who are prepared to move an engine, alter the chassis and bodywork (floor, scuttle, dash etc), use different length cables, wiring loom and linkages and install different seats to win one order?

I know there are myriads of options and, living in East Yorkshire, I see plenty of bare chassis going off to various body builders (motor homes, ambulances, delivery vans, buses etc) but to actually move an engine to get one more body in the cab; is there anyone prepared to do this?

I think Post Office Telephones were quite a major fleet buyer back in the day, just as BT were subsequently. It was probably worth their while to make a unique vehicle just for that one customer. Rules regarding things like type approval were also much less stringent. 

The MoD were apparently a massive pain in the arse for prospective contractors during the post war era, hence the need for floating trucks (Stalwarts), airportable trucks (LR Lightweight), stackable floating trucks (LR 109 airportable) and vehicles with standardised engines (RR B series) or multifuel engines.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of period pics involving Leyland lorries and railways; may bring back some memories...

image.png.f9aa3f5005291f40dab5f101266bcfa2.png

40-182 on a mixed freight working at Black Carr junction March 1977. Are those lorries Boxers or Terriers?

image.png.c910c3341ec5d9d2c9d27b26cf34753b.png

A 'Jinty' on the colliery railway that ran across Blacker Lane at Crigglestone with the Midland's Royston Junction to Dewsbury Viaduct in the background.

Is that a Leyland Hippo loaded with coal?

1 hour ago, martc said:

Here's a couple of period pics involving Leyland lorries and railways; may bring back some memories...

image.png.f9aa3f5005291f40dab5f101266bcfa2.png

40-182 on a mixed freight working at Black Carr junction March 1977. Are those lorries Boxers or Terriers?

image.png.c910c3341ec5d9d2c9d27b26cf34753b.png

Is that a Leyland Hippo loaded with coal?

Looks like a 4 wheeler so probably a Leyland Comet.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I am not very familiar with the many old truck manufacturers and types in the UK so I found this interesting and is a great collection of trucks they have.

Michael is a big mate of Daniel who runs Ashville (YouTube) and features on the phone in nearly every video. Think it's probably Daniel who's encouraged Michael to YouTube as Michael helped Daniel with work as he was getting his trucks going.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^ don't know, but as a clue for others there's the Coles Centurion that has a similar split cab, with the jib in the middle, but they appear to be much bigger and have a different grille...

image.png.d805c38adbd7a3603c649e31ad34a312.png

Hang on a sec, could it be a Foden?

image.thumb.png.f86b5e39068e7ed0d5a65326557ed4e7.png

This is described as a 'J.D.White Split Cab Foden'

The grille made me think Foden, but of course I went down the 'stuff Belaz imported' rabbit hole because that's always fun. Not productive, but fun. Because the chances are that big old construction equipment with weird layouts will be Russian, or American made for the Middle East.

Edit: could it be a Foden FC20? 

fodenfc20.jpg

Edited by CreepingJesus
New info came to light, your honour!

It's time for the annual funfair. Not as many lorries as there used to be as more and more showmen are buying smaller equipment they can pull with vans or 4x4s, but still a few ERFs hanging on. This one continues to amaze me just by still existing as it's been around for over 20 years and looked like a pile of shit for basically all that time - he's literally never done anything at all to it cosmetically but one assumes it runs much better than it looks. The first photo was taken in 2001, the second last weekend.

Nichols_Paul_E644SOG_Buckingham_2001-10-13.thumb.jpg.aab8108768e785c1e09591d79e190d9f.jpg

E644SOG.thumb.jpg.bea72b035db5171dd9624d466aa8d4de.jpg

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

It's time for the annual funfair. Not as many lorries as there used to be as more and more showmen are buying smaller equipment they can pull with vans or 4x4s, but still a few ERFs hanging on. This one continues to amaze me just by still existing as it's been around for over 20 years and looked like a pile of shit for basically all that time - he's literally never done anything at all to it cosmetically but one assumes it runs much better than it looks. The first photo was taken in 2001, the second last weekend.

Nichols_Paul_E644SOG_Buckingham_2001-10-13.thumb.jpg.aab8108768e785c1e09591d79e190d9f.jpg

E644SOG.thumb.jpg.bea72b035db5171dd9624d466aa8d4de.jpg

That’s amazing, hopefully it will be preserved when it’s finally retired.

49 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

That’s amazing, hopefully it will be preserved when it’s finally retired.

I doubt there's much chance of that sadly. I get the feeling the only thing that'll cause its retirement is being utterly and irredeemably fucked, when it'll be dumped in the yard to rot away for years and never be for sale. Shame really as I'd love to see the look on people's faces if it rolled up at Truckfest in that state.

Not seen many oldies recently but a couple turned up today. First this wendy house Volvo FL7 - not many of these around now, even on the show scene.

R74HGD1.thumb.jpg.63bc0e7bd2b2c9f724c74af9e3e27367.jpg

Then this veteran Merc 814. Definitely not a dud as it's still going strong after 32 years.

H175DUD.thumb.jpg.eca80df131e5f4ca589ee11423bc6404.jpg

Then the wendy house came back, but what's that on the back?

R74HGD.thumb.jpg.968bc51c9313ec302b67f537f3a5a12f.jpg

It's only a WW2 German Army Opel Blitz!

opel.thumb.jpg.b3e4ded6fecb4a03c2cce8d0b9d2e331.jpg