Truck Shite

quicksilver

On 2/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, sutty2006 said:

6 tonne winch? Wouldn’t pull itself out of bed with that! Nice truck though. 
I can imagine the apocalypse now. Russia invades UK. English man hides in ex Russian truck moving from village to village evading the enemy in search of Beer. 

Couple of snatch blocks and you'd be golden.

Also, there's a telly series in there somewhere. 

31 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

I imagine there’s a big ol’ removable engine cover inside the cab. Side hatch would be just for checking/topping up  levels I’d have thought.

No removable cover in the cab,side flaps and rear lower area of cab only. Most coachbuilders built in access covers to the front of the floor and bulkhead of the luton/box/horse and cattle box.

Was this style of Bedford the last forward-control truck available in the UK with a fixed cab? The small Bedfords finally gained a tilt cab with the TL in 1980, but the TK continued alongside it and the military M-type that used the TK cab survived beyond the end of Bedford in 1986 and was produced by AWD right up to 1992.

Fun fact: the Matchbox TK tanker has a tilt cab. An interesting case where lack of realism made the toy better than the real thing.

On 18/02/2022 at 21:46, rml2345 said:

Are TK cabs not held on with something daft like six bolts so they can be easily removed for serious engine work? Not as convenient as a proper tilt cab but better than a coach built affair. 

To remove a TK cab you remove 4 cab mounting bolts, disconnect the wiring multiplugs, undo the steering column etc., then open both doors and lift off using a wide as possible lifting strap. The worst cab on job is changing a water pump, as it has to be done through the gear lever aperture.

Thanks for posting that,great Covent Garden market memories for me, i used to go there as a 10 year old in 1955, leave home at midnight in a Bedford S type, a 2 hour journey to market,help unload and reload and 2 hours journey back home.  It was trips like this that started my interest in lorries and led to spending most of my working life with them.

One for those with their speakers plugged in - M35A2 'Deuce and a Half'.

These were the staple trucks of the US armed forces from shortly after the Second World War until the 90s, when they phased out in favour of the boring Austrian designed FMTV. The A2 variant had a Hercules/Continental turbocharged 8 litre diesel, with probably the loudest stock turbo ever fitted to a truck. Unsurprisingly they were called 'whistlers'.