Truck Shite

quicksilver

52 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Does the Stralis still struggle in the rain? 

i started my apprenticeship in 2004 at an Iveco/Ford dealer. Every time it rained the breakdown guy slid down his fireman’s pole straight into his van and off out he went to the rescue of a dead stralis. 

I had a mission impossible job, I started as a salesman at an Iveco dealer when these hopeless heaps were introduced. After barely a year of selling mostly Daily vans and pickups (that are also total shite) I left. If I’d been doing the same job 20 years previous I’d have been selling bucket loads of Ford D series!

On 11/10/2019 at 1:28 PM, sutty2006 said:

A14 west bound. USAF fire engine. Coooooooooooooool

C46805EA-86D0-48D2-B668-A040B2538916.jpeg

A14 west bound. Exactly 2 years to the day spotted this dodge pick up. Funnily enough from the USAF fire department on government plates. Still had yank red flashers on the back. 

BA3EE5C9-9397-411C-8BB8-C5BF0F434FED.jpeg

From the big to the ridiculous -

image.png.f133fb34d6020ca701d261fcd1e04c8f.png

BELAZ-75710 the largest mining dumper on the planet; it has a 450 tonne load capacity.

image.png.ca4e399c364242575430f40b250a1300.png

An M62 'Mashka' diesel electric locomotive mounted on a MAZ-547 chassis. Why? it's not clear - it has been suggested it could have been used as a mobile generation station.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39244/the-legend-of-russias-lost-diesel-electric-12x12-overlanding-train

On 11/10/2021 at 7:30 AM, Split_Pin said:

Hey have we had the fact that the DAF Cabtech cab has finally been replaced after 34 years?

My Brother in Law works for DAF and was at the launch of the new XF and XG/XG+ models. They look very similar to current Scanias.

That cab design has certainly earned a well-deserved rest!

Just to run down how many manufacturers have or are using that base design I have the following:

DAF, ERF, Seddon Atki, Pegaso, Foden, Western Star and then using even more badge engineering, GINAF and Tatra. Any others? 

In the early days in particular, say up to 2000 when there was a seemingly bigger choice out there, what would the main differences be between each manufacturer? Chassis types, engine types? I know there was a fair amount of loyalty amongst smaller operators to the smaller suppliers, but I'm not overly knowledgeable  on trucks beyond that.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:08 PM, martc said:

There is some speculation that it could have been an experiment for all wheel steering + all wheel drive. But why put a loco on top of the chassis?

For the same reasons a Leyland National body ended up on a freight wagon chassis: the bits were there, and known to work, so it was easier to smash them together than start from scratch. I would assume!

As for the Cabtec cab, there was very little commonality beyond the cab. One of the more expensive bits to develop, and one of the bits that can really damn the rest of the truck, so plenty of makers saw it as a no-brainer. As above, it's a fixed price, it works and it's there, smash it on.

Besides, engines tended to have a longer development life, gearboxes/axles/steering gear etc., most were buying from Eaton/ZF/Rockwell et al., anyway, and chassis are usually quite locally specific, surprisingly. In terms of how the local market favours them to be made: welded vs bolted vs riveted and so on. 

From a supplier's point of view, an 'old' cab is far more marketable than an 'old' engine. One can be gussied up, the other's a boat anchor if it isn't even fit for use in Africa...

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, cobblers said:

Did he run it? Adblue in the fuel system genuinely does end up shafting injectors etc etc. It's fuckin horrible stuff

Ran it till it stopped. These injectors took some clearing but it runs perfect now. 👌.  Adblue usually does the most damage when it sits in the system for a long time. Like the brand new X class we had in with a tank full of adblue in it. Spent 12 months in our yard arguing to his insurance company who wouldn’t pay out. Ended up having a full engine. 

On 11/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, CreepingJesus said:

Spotted doing showman's duties recently: a pair of Iveco Stralises! I've got a soft spot for the bloody things for a few reasons, but I'm not blind to their shortcomings. Presumably the short journeys and long lay-ups work in their favour: less opportunities for them to go bang, more time to fix them when they do. And they do. I once inherited a Trakker (the tipper version) that went like snaw aff a dyke until it shat its' head gasket on the M876 one afternoon.  According to the fitter, that was the second replacement. It was under three years old and had 90 thousand k's on the clock...

On the other hand...imagine my delight to hear this roaring up the road...Newtyle Commercials' 'Dragon Wagon' which I've been after for ages. Think the plate on the grille says 'EC12' (but don't quote me on that) which means the Perkins (ex-Rolls) Eagle, unless it's a Cat or a Detroit DD60, which were options. It's not a Cummins anyway, but what a racket! Glorious...

IMG_20211027_155131.jpg

As I went to leave Balbeggie one evening after delivering a car to Pypers I put a foot on the clutch and bang, the release bearing went. Newtyle came out to tow me back to our yard just outside Fraserburgh. Heard him coming from about a mile away, bonneted Kenworth with I think a Cummins and straight pipes, put a smile on my face. This was back in the early 2000's but a search reveals not only it but that Newtyle don't seem to do an average wrecker.

@5speedracer Very much so, i don't think they do normal or quiet, and I appreciate that! 

They even turned out to help me when I'd pulled up and 'called it' because the dog eared Daf CF I was driving had too many electrical issues to risk it any more, in a straight piped Sprinter with more lights than a Wembley rock gig spread round it. Fitter didn't look old enough to be driving, but give him his due, he patched it up enough to finish the run.  I put the old heap in the workshop after, and I'm pretty sure it 'vanished' thereafter. It was an absolute hound.

@sutty2006 When I drove for Tescos, one of their own drivers (not one of us agency scumbags, much to my delight) launched a good amount of AdBlue in the fuel tank of a delivery mileage CF. This being Tesco, they argued the  toss with Daf, who fixed it under warranty and covered the breakdown costs. Every time it 'mysteriously' broke down. In the end Daf had replaced the entire injection system, one piece at a time.

Way back in this thread, there's a pic I posted of a Daf badged Scania T112 wrecker: that was one of said CF's last breakdowns, and it was off to the garage in Perth docks. As an illustration, the 'breakdown costs' included sending me up to Bankfoot (north of Perth) with a replacement unit to finish the run, and getting their driver back to Livingston. I asked around to see if anyone had grassed Tesco up to Daf (which I'd have done with a smile on my miserable fizzer...) and it turned out they had. More than once. Daf stuck their fingers in their ears and sang loudly...

7 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Fridays are all about the easy start. Driver brimmed his tank with adblue (about 30/40L) and conveniently broke down. Drained and cleared the fuel system. She lives again! 

9F90ADC2-2BC8-4113-AE38-0666475F21D2.jpeg

I remember some years ago an agency driver filling the adblue tank with diesel, he did wonder why the nozzle wouldn’t fit in the hole and it took an age to fill, it was a rental unit to the company at the time just to make matters worse!

4 hours ago, CreepingJesus said:

@5speedracer Very much so, i don't think they do normal or quiet, and I appreciate that! 

They even turned out to help me when I'd pulled up and 'called it' because the dog eared Daf CF I was driving had too many electrical issues to risk it any more, in a straight piped Sprinter with more lights than a Wembley rock gig spread round it. Fitter didn't look old enough to be driving, but give him his due, he patched it up enough to finish the run.  I put the old heap in the workshop after, and I'm pretty sure it 'vanished' thereafter. It was an absolute hound.

@sutty2006 When I drove for Tescos, one of their own drivers (not one of us agency scumbags, much to my delight) launched a good amount of AdBlue in the fuel tank of a delivery mileage CF. This being Tesco, they argued the  toss with Daf, who fixed it under warranty and covered the breakdown costs. Every time it 'mysteriously' broke down. In the end Daf had replaced the entire injection system, one piece at a time.

Way back in this thread, there's a pic I posted of a Daf badged Scania T112 wrecker: that was one of said CF's last breakdowns, and it was off to the garage in Perth docks. As an illustration, the 'breakdown costs' included sending me up to Bankfoot (north of Perth) with a replacement unit to finish the run, and getting their driver back to Livingston. I asked around to see if anyone had grassed Tesco up to Daf (which I'd have done with a smile on my miserable fizzer...) and it turned out they had. More than once. Daf stuck their fingers in their ears and sang loudly...

DAF will do that. Much like Mercedes do with Amazon vans. The whole fleet is battered to fuck. When they get returned off lease Mercedes will kick off and say they need to pay for the damage. Amazon will tell them to FRO they’ll have *input other make* next, then Mercedes leases them another fleet of shiney new vans ready for destruction. It’s all about keeping the customer happy, so they return to buy more.