Truck Shite

quicksilver

3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

A couple of rarities seen this week. The USAF sent an actual American truck to Croughton this time, a Freightliner Business Class I think. Quite surreal seeing this on UK roads.

AF12B00613.thumb.jpg.fc95c3bd4a405b6d1ce2f1e733c1a5d8.jpg

thats proper Funky but awesome to see over here! 

I wonder do UK truck speed limits still apply to it or can it thunder past British and European Lorries while the driver is getting serviced by a couple specially imported Lot lizards in the cab at 70Mph?

the styling is funky too looks like a overgrown Pt cruiser almost, I think its the head lamps/wings LOL

Tis indeed a peculiar rig and I was thinking "what on earth is that?" as I saw it in the distance and waited impatiently for it to get closer. Looks quite short for 3 axles so it must carry something heavy, and at a guess they've put a Boalloy curtainside body on an American chassis for...er...reasons. There were a few USAF vehicles around that morning including some pickups and a couple of US-spec Transit vans, all heading to Croughton from probably Mildenhall or Lakenheath.

It’s deffo an American trailer. Doesn’t comply with many uk regs. No wheel arches or spray suppression. Depending on year of manufacture it should have white tape down the sides, not on front top corners. Interesting to see it, but like previously said, it’s probably here on diplomatic holiday lol

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

the styling is funky too looks like a overgrown Pt cruiser almost, I think its the head lamps/wings LOL

That's pretty normal for a standard North American market truck. Most are relatively aerodynamic like that and built for big fleet operators... just like over here. That's probably equivalent to a DAF CF, i.e. no sleeper and designed for day distribution and a bit of motorway. Line haul tractors are significantly larger and have huge accommodation. Peterbilt will still sell you a 'classic' appearance tractor with no attempt at aerodynamics and a traditional manual gearbox.

Exploration/exploitation, eastern stylee...

image.png.cea27e834452627e0c0bb500feb07c4a.png

Belaz 75501 super heavy dumper produced at the Byelorussian Automotive Factory in 1991.

image.png.26d74a2c0d85418e6e13d2f5e6b33d95.png

An MZKT somewhere in the Middle East judging by the warning sign on the rails. I wonder what it's for? Probably oil exploration or somesuch.

image.png.0046b1ef41969771db8bdc76ac6d50ca.png

And where it's a bit cooler - Ural Polar Expedition vehicles.

1 hour ago, worldofceri said:

No side underrun bars either now I look again.

Yes I saw that too after I’d originally posted, then noticed someone else had mentioned it previously. Crazy to think they get away with using them over here, but then again, they do get away with murder! 

From the June 1979 'Truck' magazine 'Driver to Truck' section.

This section was devoted to Truckers responding to criticism from anti-road haulage groups.

This is an interesting contribution from Richard Price and Graham Moyse:

"Richard Price and Graham Moyse
both drive to the Continent with bulk plastic, Roger in a Volvo F10 and Graham in a Volvo 88. Their firm, Bryn Mallindine, is based in Malmesbury, a village near Swindon, where Graham also lives.

'It's best to keep a low profile to assist in relations with neighbours,' he said, admitting that there are problems for a heavy haulage firm in a small community.

'But I think most of the problems stem from this country's idea of status which the Continent doesn't have. Here a truck driver is the lowest of the low.'

Richard Price lives in the nearby village of Purton which is a short cut regularly used by trucks from Gloucester to the M4.

'I'd use the route myself if I ever had to go that way,' he said. 'I don't take too much notice of the way people complain about heavy loads. Somebody once complained about my truck parked in the village and my boss was told not to let me do it again. I was annoyed when I found out that the man who complained had been out of work for years'."

I feel Graham Price nailed it when he mentioned 'status'.

I wholeheartedly agree and that part isn't much different these days. If anything it seems worse- I can only go on some of the abuse I've experienced as a Bus Driver of course.

DSC_8650.JPG

On 8/29/2021 at 10:59 PM, Leyland Worldmaster said:

From the June 1979 'Truck' magazine 'Driver to Truck' section.

This section was devoted to Truckers responding to criticism from anti-road haulage groups.

This is an interesting contribution from Richard Price and Graham Moyse:

"Richard Price and Graham Moyse
both drive to the Continent with bulk plastic, Roger in a Volvo F10 and Graham in a Volvo 88. Their firm, Bryn Mallindine, is based in Malmesbury, a village near Swindon, where Graham also lives.

'It's best to keep a low profile to assist in relations with neighbours,' he said, admitting that there are problems for a heavy haulage firm in a small community.

'But I think most of the problems stem from this country's idea of status which the Continent doesn't have. Here a truck driver is the lowest of the low.'

Richard Price lives in the nearby village of Purton which is a short cut regularly used by trucks from Gloucester to the M4.

'I'd use the route myself if I ever had to go that way,' he said. 'I don't take too much notice of the way people complain about heavy loads. Somebody once complained about my truck parked in the village and my boss was told not to let me do it again. I was annoyed when I found out that the man who complained had been out of work for years'."

I feel Graham Price nailed it when he mentioned 'status'.

I wholeheartedly agree and that part isn't much different these days. If anything it seems worse- I can only go on some of the abuse I've experienced as a Bus Driver of course.

DSC_8650.JPG

Nothing much has changed, us lorry drivers are still treated as low life and today it’s usually by self entitled millennial pricks driving Audi’s who see us as a real inconvenience on the road and seem to have no notion that just about everything in their daily life has been on the back of a lorry. 

Re the mushroom lorry I think this design started out badged as OM, then Fiat, then finally Iveco in about 1980.

They were quite popular with small fleets as they were a) cheap and b) easy for a driver not used to ‘proper lorries’ to get the hang of quickly.

This cab design was also used on a (very large for its time) panel van.

Edit: by the magic of wiki I bring you the Iveco Zeta series: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco_Zeta

As I've got less interested in modern cars I've started to take more notice of the lorries on motorway journeys and around and about the place. Could a truck- botherer give a layman's explanation of the different truck brands?  I've recently spotted some lovely lorries with custom paint jobs and bling trinkets on, and I wondered how much extra operators would be having to invest to buy a Scania with a high power number on the bonnet or and all the bling, compared to a more bog standard truck. Is it a big labour of love/investment? How do the different brands compare to car brands? Is a Scania like an Audi or BMW and a DAF like a Vauxhall or something? 

Scania is considered a premium brand yes and is highly regarded. But a DAF or an Iveco does the same job just as well. Seems from my view that Iveco and Renault are the least liked trucks in Europe without me understanding why. Is also the case with tractors John Deere is considered premium while a brand like Zetor is not as highly regarded even though they make good tractors. The whole thing is basically just brand snobbery and the need to pick on something in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I think Renault uses both the driveline and chassis from Volvo are just the cabs that are different. But can be wrong.

They do not look too bad either

maxresdefault.jpg

This is correct, I drove one of these Renault’s when nearly brand new back in 2015 and it was not bad but I preferred the slightly older MAN TGX that came after but my current Scania is the best I’ve driven.

2 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

This is correct, I drove one of these Renault’s when nearly brand new back in 2015 and it was not bad but I preferred the slightly older MAN TGX that came after but my current Scania is the best I’ve driven.

Which Scania do you have?