Truck Shite

quicksilver

1 hour ago, willswitchengage said:

L means low noise innit... what about V?

I wondered what that L meant so thanks for that. I've also seen VI so they appear to be Roman numerals indicating Euro 5 or 6 emissions.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:11 PM, quicksilver said:

It's a good day when there's a Foden about - this is the last one remaining in the DK Harris fleet

NX05AXK.thumb.jpg.387be12022279c0f2b44e2eb0f7d46d0.jpg

There also seems to be a glut of elderly Iveco EuroCargos this week along with a Leyland-DAF 45 horsebox today.

Some of those Fodens have a interesting hydraulic gear shift,

Under the gear stick is a hydraulic controller which is connected to a hydraulic actuator on the gearbox by (6?) steel pipes which run through the chassis.

About 10 years ago I had to replace the steel pipes on a customers cement truck as they had burst because of corrosion, the MAN/Foden dealer wanted nothing to do with it (they suggested the owner should buy a new truck he politely told them to fuck off) so I was called in to identify which pipe did what and replace them with hydraulic flexi hose that I routed down the outside of the chassis which took all morning but the gearshift worked perfectly afterwards.

I think I did the same job on another 2 trucks after that 

17 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

unusual to see Russians in summat built this century....usually frilly F10's and 12's or ancient Maggy's..

Used to see them regularly in the latter days of Tullis Russell paper in Glenrothes, because DSV had been given the international contract: can't recall anything other than newish Volvos and Ivecos, but it was evident the motors and drivers were being flogged to death, more so than the regular Eastern European contingent. 

Looks like a 6x6. Didn't have the DSG gearbox on it did it? Volvo were pushing that at the time, on the off-road models, cos unfortunately iShift finds its' limitations quite quickly in low traction environments. Never did get one with the DSG box, but the manuals were hard to beat, and boy could they take a beating!

2 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

Looks like a 6x6. Didn't have the DSG gearbox on it did it? Volvo were pushing that at the time, on the off-road models, cos unfortunately iShift finds its' limitations quite quickly in low traction environments. Never did get one with the DSG box, but the manuals were hard to beat, and boy could they take a beating!

It was not a 6x6; there was a 4x4  Tractor Unit around the corner though. This had I-Shift and the latest Volvo Dynamic Steering. Unladen, so traction was brilliant*... 

Made a change from bus shite. I'll dig out other pictures from that day out when I get the chance to do so! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

9 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

Didn't have the DSG gearbox on it did it?

I may be entirely wrong here but I'm not sure if the dual clutch box made it into the FM, I thought they only did them on the FH in limited range of engine specs. 

<Post redacted due to being bollocks.>

Funny, I was watching some stuff on Stalwarts the other day...9t tare, and fairly tall? I'd be looking for a more recent beaver tail, the sort of thing HSS Hire use: 6x2, generally plated for 22t, and much lower riding at the back, to keep bridge bashing to a minimum. Stick the Stally on backwards, and I'm guessing you'd be around the 12' mark on the road. If you're really lucky, some of those beaver tails have passive rear steer, which will help. I'm assuming you'd be taking it mostly to shows and mud pits.

Should be able to find something around £10k, and they're generally simpler, low spec motors...less to worry about.

I mean, what you really need is an Antar with its' matching drag, or a V8 Scanny with show paint and open pipes, a BFO Yank thing... But on ten grand and a Class 2 ticket, they're a wee bit* OTT.

A few more from the YORK Trailers collection. If you know more / recognise where they are taken, or realise I'm talking bollocks, speak up please.

Enough said.

IMG_0181.thumb.JPG.7303381d8823ed13067c91fe447f4626.JPG

Volvo F88

IMG_0179.thumb.JPG.1ccc96737f035211b8376ae0b813c63e.JPG

Volvo F86 (but the sign on the right is for @LightBulbFun)

IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.049dde0a6e57169b2c3cd4d17684b64a.JPG

Scania 111 and FORD tractors.

IMG_0193.thumb.JPG.939adf2aa87c221a167ff0d800c61de7.JPG

MAN (280?)

IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.264cbefb50564db420db36f9b77dd201.JPG

and another FORD tractor, but a D Type (D 1000 I think).

IMG_0195.thumb.JPG.1b841021d2fb97d09afb6bcdc44f746a.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I've been talking to the owner of that Seddon Atkinson and it's even more interesting than I thought. It was built in-house using the back end of a written-off 1971 Seddon, the front of a 1979 Seddon Atkinson 400 and bespoke recovery gear, and later fitted with the last new 311 cab made by Motor Panels. It's had a few different engines but is currently running a Rolls-Royce 220 uprated to 290bhp. A proper old-school bitsa!

6 hours ago, dean36014 said:

About time, that can has been around since it was badged as a 95 in the nineties. Hopefully the CF will get reworked too as that cab dates back to the nineties too.

The original DAF 95 first appeared in 1987 and became truck of the year in 1988, the new DAF’s look a bit Scania like both outside and inside...