Truck Shite

quicksilver

5 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I always wondered how much of a PITA it would be to get a truck licence as a T1 diabetic, as I'm one too.

Not that I have any need for an HGV licence other than the craic. Amusingly I do hold 2 classes of forklift licence, and they didn't do any extra checks.

It’s a royal pain in the back side. The amount of hoops to be jumped through would put anyone off doing it. It’s only because I got mine for work purposes I managed to fight the DVLA for it, and I nearly lost my car licence in the process. Instead of getting a 10 year licence like everyone else, I have to renew it every 12 months. My current licence for class 2 has expired and I can’t get it until I can see a doctor, of whom I can’t see until all this Covid crap has gone away. So I’m driving on section 88 of the road traffic act. Which is a joke in itself. So yeah, I wouldn’t bother lol. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:34 PM, Zelandeth said:

Pretty rarely spot much of any real age around here these days aside from the odd horse box.  This old Merc still looks to be earning its keep though.

IMG_20200922_143758.thumb.jpg.abe7d476aea3b52cf359c465d458ea34.jpg

Parked up in Buckingham today.

Snap!

P491 ADO - Mr RG's Fruit & Veg

Went to the market today so I had a look at this. It belongs to the chap who runs the fruit and veg stall and he's had it for over 15 years. Fillmore Packaging went out of business more than a decade ago but their name is still defiantly displayed.

When I was a boy in the early 1970's Leyland used to test drive their truck chassis around Leyland & the surrounding areas.

This consisted of just a bare chassis, a seat & steering wheel/rudimentary dashboard & a bloke with a thick coat & goggles on, trundling around the roads !

All changed when they built the test track !

Imagine modern health & safety & that, they'd  bloody freak out !!

1 hour ago, ETCHY said:

When I was a boy in the early 1970's Leyland used to test drive their truck chassis around Leyland & the surrounding areas.

This consisted of just a bare chassis, a seat & steering wheel/rudimentary dashboard & a bloke with a thick coat & goggles on, trundling around the roads !

All changed when they built the test track !

Imagine modern health & safety & that, they'd  bloody freak out !!

Dinky did a nice model of this...

964CCAFF-2D96-4A10-876A-BD2F14973491.jpeg

On 10/6/2020 at 5:00 PM, quicksilver said:

It's the first Tuesday of another month so I was keen to see if I'd worked out the AAFES truck's schedule correctly. Bang on time it turned up and it was a different one :) UKAX 192 may be new and a replacement for 175 as I think it had the same driver.

UKAX 192 - AAFES

Bonus rear view of the trailer complete with US licence plate. A weird sight on a UK road.

UKAX 192 - AAFES

Puerile I know but this amused me. As Olivia Colman once said in an episode of That Mitchell and Webb Look, it's funny because it involves poo. The warning on the back is particularly topical.

DK08DZE.thumb.jpg.06877735db7a46abe8983fbf36e6d50e.jpg

DK08DZE1.thumb.jpg.26333f4b21b8b79366d63761f6ca225d.jpg

Love these - we've got a "stool bus" round here. Most likely every town has one too, but makes me smile.  

6 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Snap!

P491 ADO - Mr RG's Fruit & Veg

Went to the market today so I had a look at this. It belongs to the chap who runs the fruit and veg stall and he's had it for over 15 years. Fillmore Packaging went out of business more than a decade ago but their name is still defiantly displayed.

Fillmore packaging sounds like a made up business name from the Simpsons

18 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Fillmore packaging sounds like a made up business name from the Simpsons

I suppose it does but it reminded me of a former colleague. Her name was Dr Fillmore, which sounds like a character from a Carry On film.

Trying to get some spotting done in these last few days before lockdown so uploading the photos will give me something to do. A frustrating session today thanks to bitter winds, awkward low sun and traffic getting in the way, but my first spot was another of Cammack & Wilcox's old Fodens. They have 17 of these and two ERFs, and the driver said they intend to keep them going as long as possible. Long may they continue!

Y677TJW.thumb.jpg.6b7435982f766bc7211a5de96ff1da0b.jpg

And yet another! This is the first of their artics I've seen

LX03OVL.thumb.jpg.11976a5646554ce91f637c08d87541d2.jpg

Saw this weird thing today, once a LHD Stobart tractor unit but now converted to a roadsweeper. Why anyone would need a 450bhp sweeper plated at 40 tonnes with a huge sleeper cab I have no idea and it looks all kinds of wrong.

PJ14ROU.thumb.jpg.c74f6f03433babbad5b8eefeaa2ce6aa.jpg

And I felt this brute coming before I saw it. Don't know what kind of exhaust it's got but it makes a glorious deep earth-shaking noise. It's a pole erector (no sniggering at the back please).

B19ENC.thumb.jpg.db8d6dec25c775f1d43b9ac1de74759b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That does look smart for an old 'un and very clean considering it's on such a muddy site. I haven't seen much old stuff lately apart from this first-gen FH cattle wagon, a bit scruffy but still going strong.

T160 SMW - ex AG Brind

And a 3-series Scania horsebox but that was a month ago

J725 MHA - Godington Stud

8 hours ago, Jamie said:

my ex girlfriends dad had this. thought it might be of interest 

The Adventures of Skooby Blue (and Simon too): Kelsall Steam and Vintage  Rally

Looks like the stainless steel barrel has fallen off.

Did you upgrade to the daughter of the fella who owned this lot?

W & J Riding Ltd Longridge Preston - Atkinson Borderer

Countless Atkinson Borderers (actually there's probably 22 of them)https://wjriding.webs.com/atkinson-borderer

8 hours ago, martc said:

Looks like the stainless steel barrel has fallen off.

Did you upgrade to the daughter of the fella who owned this lot?

W & J Riding Ltd Longridge Preston - Atkinson Borderer

Countless Atkinson Borderers (actually there's probably 22 of them)https://wjriding.webs.com/atkinson-borderer

he actually also owned this too- shiters paradise really. (DEK 2D - Wigan corporation double decker)

Rivington Barn Wedding - Lancashire Wedding Photographer - Andy Griffiths  Photography

On 10/2/2020 at 4:20 PM, Arfur Foxache said:

If it is a DAF with ECO mode from the factory, you might as well be at the full 44 tonnes as it behaves pretty much the same as if it were loaded. 

First thing that happens when I buy a new one is a visit to a man with a laptop to change the software and turn ECO mode off. 

Back in the late 1980s I was an apprentice grease monkey at an ERF franchise.

Occasionally the apprentices got invited by the mechanics to join them in the cab for a test run after a pre-delivery inspection on a new tractor.

This was back in the day before electronic speed governers, and it was normal for them to tailgate company car hacks on the motorway at 95mph.

Fun times.

Good spotting session today, decent weather and plenty of trucks. I was just thinking of wandering home when this beast rolled up - LHD V8 Scania T-cab of 1988 vintage with upright pipes, looking and sounding glorious. Definitely my best ever spot!

B3HRR.thumb.jpg.5b4351d74443597e18841703fbba4f9a.jpg

34 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

I do like seeing a ‘done up’ truck on the road, but those ‘roo bars that are fitted a lot these days just look stupid driving round flippin’ Milton Keynes.

There's some really nice stuff about but some of it is a tad overdone and must be impractical. This local firm is as close to perfection as it gets for me - customised but not in your face, an eye-catching livery and no roo bars because as you so rightly said they'd look stupid in Milton Keynes.

AM08 CJH - CJ Haynes

MH08 CJH - CJ Haynes

38 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

I do like seeing a ‘done up’ truck on the road, but those ‘roo bars that are fitted a lot these days just look stupid driving round flippin’ Milton Keynes.

Could be useful...

Police have said they are unable to investigate the death of a white wallaby spotted several time in a Milton Keynes field

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/police-confirm-they-will-not-be-taking-any-action-over-death-white-wallaby-2202958

image.png.767d2e61efe9e55eef066566742e5ea5.png

A field near Milton Keynes, yesterday.

Those concrete cows need some shoving out of the way as well.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:16 PM, quicksilver said:

And yet another! This is the first of their artics I've seen

LX03OVL.thumb.jpg.11976a5646554ce91f637c08d87541d2.jpg

Saw this weird thing today, once a LHD Stobart tractor unit but now converted to a roadsweeper. Why anyone would need a 450bhp sweeper plated at 40 tonnes with a huge sleeper cab I have no idea and it looks all kinds of wrong.

PJ14ROU.thumb.jpg.c74f6f03433babbad5b8eefeaa2ce6aa.jpg

And I felt this brute coming before I saw it. Don't know what kind of exhaust it's got but it makes a glorious deep earth-shaking noise. It's a pole erector (no sniggering at the back please).

B19ENC.thumb.jpg.db8d6dec25c775f1d43b9ac1de74759b.jpg

Based on that description alone I'd guess Cummins L10 powered with not much silencing...They do sound nice!

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

There's some really nice stuff about but some of it is a tad overdone and must be impractical. This local firm is as close to perfection as it gets for me - customised but not in your face, an eye-catching livery and no roo bars because as you so rightly said they'd look stupid in Milton Keynes.

AM08 CJH - CJ Haynes

MH08 CJH - CJ Haynes

Yeah, I agree. Six auxiliary spotlights is the perfect amount. Also, CJH - gr9 initials.

• 2 weeks later...