Truck Shite

quicksilver

On 9/4/2020 at 11:10 AM, bigstraight6 said:

Spotted this old still grafting Merc earlier, I guess the Cypriot testing regime isn’t as strict as ours as the lorry has no headlamp lenses...

C2984F91-478D-40A3-B032-FFAAF03DC978.jpeg

Cyprus is one of those places I’d love to go to see stuff like this before the godforesaken EU turn up and decide it’s ‘low Emissions this’ and ‘must be electric that’

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

Cyprus is one of those places I’d love to go to see stuff like this before the godforesaken EU turn up and decide it’s ‘low Emissions this’ and ‘must be electric that’

Cyprus (the 'Greek' bit) joined the EU on the 1st of May 2004.

The EU has determined, quite correctly, that all vehicles on the road in the EU must be roadworthy and comply to the relevant regulations at the time they were built; but it's up to individual nations as to how this is implemented. As it stands, at the moment, it would be a local decision to drive old grot like the above off the road, not the EU's. Judging by the state of it I don't think the Cypriot authorities are that bothered...

7 minutes ago, martc said:

Cyprus (the 'Greek' bit) joined the EU on the 1st of May 2004.

The EU has determined, quite correctly, that all vehicles on the road in the EU must be roadworthy but it's up to individual nations as to how this is implemented. As it stands, at the moment, it would be a local decision to drive old grot like the above off the road, not the EU's. Judging by the state of it I don't think the Cypriot authorities are that bothered...

Does that mean we won't need MOTs when we properly leave the EU? I'd be up for that, forget all this remain nonsense.

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Pretty rarely spot much of any real age around here these days aside from the odd horse box.  This old Merc still looks to be earning its keep though.

IMG_20200922_143758.thumb.jpg.abe7d476aea3b52cf359c465d458ea34.jpg

Parked up in Buckingham today.

Blimey, is that old thing still around? I used to see it parked there a long time ago; it turns up on Tuesdays so it must belong to a market trader.

3 hours ago, fairkens said:

This is a terrible post because no photo, there is an ERF EC11 tipper still doing quarry runs passed our house. Several runs a day over steep country road. It sounds absolutely mint on overrun coming down the hill.

She’ll be coming down that hill on her Jake brake. They sound awesome on any of the cummins engines. 

On 8/27/2020 at 10:16 PM, mat_the_cat said:

Here's a question for you drivers - what is it like to drive a tractor unit solo? Given how responsive a normal vehicle feels when you unhitch after towing something (relatively) weighty, I'd expect them to absolutely fly along!

Unless there are other factors, like traction perhaps? Presumably you can skip gears on the way up if needed.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:57 AM, dean36014 said:

Simple answer is fun. A 500bhp unit can fly and can really accelerate once it's rolling. Can be a bit bouncy and the traction control works overtime on damp roads. 

If it is a DAF with ECO mode from the factory, you might as well be at the full 44 tonnes as it behaves pretty much the same as if it were loaded. 

First thing that happens when I buy a new one is a visit to a man with a laptop to change the software and turn ECO mode off. 

On 9/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, quicksilver said:

Gotcha! Looks like it does its delivery on the first Tuesday of the month. A pretty special spot as UKAX plates are reportedly very rare and the combination of RHD European unit with American trailer just adds to the intrigue.

UKAX175.thumb.jpg.7308fec294f737cd03b16eed4a166ab5.jpg

It's the first Tuesday of another month so I was keen to see if I'd worked out the AAFES truck's schedule correctly. Bang on time it turned up and it was a different one :) UKAX 192 may be new and a replacement for 175 as I think it had the same driver.

UKAX 192 - AAFES

Bonus rear view of the trailer complete with US licence plate. A weird sight on a UK road.

UKAX 192 - AAFES

Puerile I know but this amused me. As Olivia Colman once said in an episode of That Mitchell and Webb Look, it's funny because it involves poo. The warning on the back is particularly topical.

DK08DZE.thumb.jpg.06877735db7a46abe8983fbf36e6d50e.jpg

DK08DZE1.thumb.jpg.26333f4b21b8b79366d63761f6ca225d.jpg

39 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

Hey @quicksilver will you be there tomorrow afternoon (13th)?

I’ll be passing through from the direction of the Field of Dreams... Not in a truck, sadly, but I might have something interesting on the trailer (not that it hasn’t featured on these pages before!)

Depends on the weather really, I am planning to be there sometime tomorrow. I normally go up in the morning but might delay until the afternoon if it rains. I think I might know what you're trailering but I've been sworn to secrecy.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:00 PM, quicksilver said:

It's the first Tuesday of another month so I was keen to see if I'd worked out the AAFES truck's schedule correctly. Bang on time it turned up and it was a different one :) UKAX 192 may be new and a replacement for 175 as I think it had the same driver.

UKAX 192 - AAFES

Bonus rear view of the trailer complete with US licence plate. A weird sight on a UK road.

UKAX 192 - AAFES

Puerile I know but this amused me. As Olivia Colman once said in an episode of That Mitchell and Webb Look, it's funny because it involves poo. The warning on the back is particularly topical.

America lorry still continues to puzzle me. Why bother shipping the trailer all the way from the States just to ferry servicemen's shopping around? ...and use a UK supplied tractor to pull it? Why not just use a local logistics company? Obviously it makes sense to bring specific military vehicles over, but civvy stuff is incredibly daft unless they have some sort of 'buy American' policy. I used to live near RAF Menwith Hill outside Harrogate and often saw US pickup trucks and cars... and this:

07-09-07_1310.thumb.jpg.d980f1eccd43e1ba8e1063d56777afc9.jpg

2008 cameraphone vintage... but I imagine a similar US civvy truck over here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 7:28 PM, willswitchengage said:

America lorry still continues to puzzle me. Why bother shipping the trailer all the way from the States just to ferry servicemen's shopping around? ...and use a UK supplied tractor to pull it? Why not just use a local logistics company? Obviously it makes sense to bring specific military vehicles over, but civvy stuff is incredibly daft unless they have some sort of 'buy American' policy. I used to live near RAF Menwith Hill outside Harrogate and often saw US pickup trucks and cars... and this:

07-09-07_1310.thumb.jpg.d980f1eccd43e1ba8e1063d56777afc9.jpg

2008 cameraphone vintage... but I imagine a similar US civvy truck over here.

That looks like one of those Scanias' predecessors that were brought over as complete rigs, then the units were retired and trailers kept. I don't really see the point either but it's the US government we're dealing with so normal logic doesn't apply. Buying normal Euro rigs over here would make much more sense but be much less interesting for the spotters.

In other trucking news, I went with a mate to the very busy A43/A5 roundabout in Towcester for some spotting on Tuesday. I knew it'd be a good day when within the first 10 minutes this old ERF rolled up.

W281AOR.thumb.jpg.59a5965442da5400c2670bf26e6f7405.jpg

Same operator as the blue one I saw a while back. He has three of them, that's the boss himself behind the wheel and his wife was driving the blue one.

W281AOR1.thumb.jpg.801123747b8a269d3def6216ffbf933f.jpg

He was followed just a few minutes later by a Hino. Rare to see these at all, especially one that isn't a tipper.

PO14HKK.thumb.jpg.f70899a4d115977af1ec708c2c855b1e.jpg

Spot of the day has to be this T-cab Scania in the wild. V8 with upright exhausts that made a lovely noise as it came down the hill.

R39DNO.thumb.jpg.e46572ff9238ec2d6f2aae32749301cf.jpg

Then we wandered back to the cafe for lunch. We'd seen this old Wendy House Volvo on the road last time and got a honk and a wave from the driver. It was parked up today so I had a chat with him.

LGZ9964.thumb.jpg.6913caa766c58bd60a54bad4e0a78e4d.jpg

42 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

In other trucking news, I went with a mate to the very busy A43/A5 roundabout in Towcester for some spotting on Tuesday. I knew it'd be a good day when within the first 10 minutes this old ERF rolled up.

W281AOR.thumb.jpg.59a5965442da5400c2670bf26e6f7405.jpg

Same operator as the blue one I saw a while back. He has three of them, that's the boss himself behind the wheel and his wife was driving the blue one.

W281AOR1.thumb.jpg.801123747b8a269d3def6216ffbf933f.jpg

He was followed just a few minutes later by a Hino. Rare to see these at all, especially one that isn't a tipper.

PO14HKK.thumb.jpg.f70899a4d115977af1ec708c2c855b1e.jpg

Spot of the day has to be this T-cab Scania in the wild. V8 with upright exhausts that made a lovely noise as it came down the hill.

R39DNO.thumb.jpg.e46572ff9238ec2d6f2aae32749301cf.jpg

Then we wandered back to the cafe for lunch. We'd seen this old Wendy House Volvo on the road last time and got a honk and a wave from the driver. It was parked up today so I had a chat with him.

LGZ9964.thumb.jpg.6913caa766c58bd60a54bad4e0a78e4d.jpg

Vanfleet have or had a few Hino tractor units. Only time I've ever seen them. should try get a pic next time I see one.

I know one fruit & veg place with a Hino  18ton curtainsider as well. Hino used to be everywhere in Ireland but I don't see them as often now

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Weren’t Hino assembled in Ireland as a CKD?

Yes including previous generations which from time to time made their way to the UK too. I have seen Hino FYs with UK regs before but nothing older, just Google 'Hino Ireland' and find plenty of interesting photos. Tractors do exist too, but I guess most operators preferred the comparative luxury and spares availability of European stuff to Hino's ruggedness - wipe down interior and 16sp manual.

14 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

I'd love a proper shit old truck. Bit overkill doing the license just for the craic mind

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Get something pre 1960 and drive it on a car licence. I wanted to buy an M35 Reo with a Hercules multifuel engine but now I’ve got my class 2 licence I can have one any age lol. 

3 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Get something pre 1960 and drive it on a car licence. I wanted to buy an M35 Reo with a Hercules multifuel engine but now I’ve got my class 2 licence I can have one any age lol. 

I always wondered how much of a PITA it would be to get a truck licence as a T1 diabetic, as I'm one too.

Not that I have any need for an HGV licence other than the craic. Amusingly I do hold 2 classes of forklift licence, and they didn't do any extra checks.