Truck Shite

quicksilver

Oh dear, again some years ago delivering some heavy pallets (about 1200 kgs each) to a solar farm near Exmouth, nearly all the workers on site were Spanish, one of which rocked up in a Bobcat with pallet forks on but as he got the pallet clear of the bed the back wheels of the Bobcat left the ground and the pallet slid off the forks. He tried to lift it from this position and put his forks through my tyre, it was a long day!

BB7494A6-FE9C-43DF-A68E-8C8312F1D7E1.jpeg

On 5/19/2020 at 10:31 AM, Asimo said:

That Coleman device is front and centre wheel drive? I think?

Any other front wheel drive trucks?

1579076991_Screenshot2020-05-19at10_07_02.thumb.png.65b7a36b796e02938e075b83a5071410.png

Leyland built a prototype FWD Freighter in the late 80s: built to be a brewer's dray, with a deep step frame and a Kirkstall axle and modified transfer case doing service under the cab.

Never caught on though, obviously. Simpler to fit a three piece prop, and low profiles on puddle jumper rims on the drive and makeweight axles, apparently. 

32 minutes ago, colnerov said:

Hi,  Another strange concept for presumably length constraints from 1983, the Steinwinter Supercargo.

Steinwinter-Supercargo-2040-Concept-1-9767-default-large.jpeg.99a8e45ebe8a6211430d2b6cf487e236.jpeg

I wouldn't want to stand on a narrow, tight street corner with that thing about, that trailer must swing out  spectacularly - 10 or so feet I would say. Duck.

13 hours ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Saw this during the week near our local dump, faded curtainsider advertising some long defunct soft drinks brand.

I love these Volvos, if I was a proper truck licker I would go for one of these all day long

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Out of interest, what defunct drink was it advertising? Cresta or Quatro?

23 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Stuff I haven't seen for ages - truck drivers carrying bicycles behind their cab. Found various pics of it on a cycling blog but I swear I haven't seen people do this over here since I was a kid.

01e33851f8adf669177437580867349b.jpg

Used to have a truck in years ago with a bicycle bungee corded to the back of the cab. Used to drop it off for inspection then cycle home. 

52 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Perhaps Corona ?

Before I'm shot, my mitigation is remembering a fizzy drink from my yoof.

Or perhaps Citra? We had Citra lemonade around our part of the world (E Yorks), go on holiday to Scarborough and it was wall to wall Corona (may still be today with all the day trippers...). It was these little regional differences that made a holiday (other variations where the bottled milk deliverers).

The steamer out of Scarborough Harbour was /still is called the Corona - but it wasn't sponsered by the drinks company.

SCHWEPPES LEMONADE

I stumbled across this delightful still at work Bedford TK in Cyprus last year, I love the venerable TK and is one of the most successful and long produced lorries but I’ve never driven one! I did drive a 7.5 ton TL about 30 years ago but I would love a go in a TK with the 330 diesel.

09BFDA69-2ABC-4FF3-B080-B92622255C1E.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm getting bored with the lack of shows to go to, so I've taken up truck spotting and the roundabout near home is a goldmine. Mostly modern stuff but I did catch this old stager today, a 1995 Mercedes 814, probably a horsebox. These are getting rare now.

M867GPB.thumb.jpg.40eeb5847b3ca838bbde3ebbc53527ab.jpg

And definitely not shite but a special spot nonetheless, an Ailsa Edition in the wild. This was a limited edition of 50 top of the range trucks built to celebrate 50 years of Volvo Trucks in the UK, and this one is the full-fat 16-litre 750bhp version.

V22ATC.thumb.jpg.4f5c8423389ea0f22306e3fea69c42aa.jpg

I'll put this here rather than in for sale because it's likely to be of interest only to those who who are into trucks.

I have sitting here a small box filled with negatives. They were rescued from a skip by someone who just happened to be passing when York Trailers place at Northallerton was being demolished quite some time ago (I'm guessing now but I think it was about 2008 or so) . Most of the negatives are of the "here's a trailer what we done builted" variety but there seems to be a fair few wagons photographed as a result. I've only had a quick rummage through and it seems to be mostly wagons and trailers with only the odd "Here's Ted Sprodgit being presented with his 95 year long service gold wheelnut" one thrown in for good measure so there is probably plenty to keep the truck wonk interested for a few evenings. The era I would reckon is mid 70s to mid 80s but that is just based on what few I've looked at.

I'm no camera buff but most of the negatives are colour on something like 120x95 film. There is a sprinkling of smaller ones and B&Ws. As far as I can see there is no 35mm stuff but I haven't looked that closely. Just guessing the total quantity in the box runs to a few hundred negatives. Although they were pulled from a skip they are all in good nick and most are in their paper sleeves.

They were pulled from a skip and we have no interest in pictures of things made by York trailers so they are worthless to us. If anyone is excited by that sort of thing and can promise them a good home then drop me a line.

• 2 weeks later...

Not many trucks around this morning but taking this photo set off an interesting chain of events,

CG65CMG.thumb.jpg.c63b4ae92100e3f21d8a51cb59e9dae1.jpg

A couple of minutes later it came back the other way, having been all the way around the next roundabout. It's a local firm so surely he wasn't lost, thought I. Then he stopped, beckoned me over and said he was going to park up at the lorry park round the corner and I should go and talk to him. Thinking I might have upset him by taking his photo and was about to get an ear-bashing, I made my way nervously round the corner. I couldn't be more wrong: turns out he is a fellow truck enthusiast who I had been following on Flickr for years but never met, so we had a good chat and showed each other photos of some of the nice things we'd seen. Basically he'd diverted off his route, parked up and taken time out of his day just to talk to me. What a top bloke!

And yes, that is a Porsche 911 on the back, a 1974 model he picked up from France yesterday.

My return to work 4 weeks ago after 12 weeks on furlough has been a bit of a trial mostly driving this old heap, It pulls really well considering its mileage though the syncro on third gear is non existent so it’s a good job I know how to double de clutch. I’m still being paid the company artic rate to drive rigids and have been assured I will be back driving artics very soon, I did one day in an artic 2 weeks ago and I was fine even having some challenging drops and having not driven an artic in 15 weeks. This old rigid has the nickname Triggers broom.....

5DCEE501-DC69-4BA5-AA72-34C07E15208F.jpeg

A32FAFD6-79A0-4B61-8BE2-74999BA35A73.jpeg

On 8/1/2020 at 4:15 PM, quicksilver said:

Not many trucks around this morning but taking this photo set off an interesting chain of events,

CG65CMG.thumb.jpg.c63b4ae92100e3f21d8a51cb59e9dae1.jpg

A couple of minutes later it came back the other way, having been all the way around the next roundabout. It's a local firm so surely he wasn't lost, thought I. Then he stopped, beckoned me over and said he was going to park up at the lorry park round the corner and I should go and talk to him. Thinking I might have upset him by taking his photo and was about to get an ear-bashing, I made my way nervously round the corner. I couldn't be more wrong: turns out he is a fellow truck enthusiast who I had been following on Flickr for years but never met, so we had a good chat and showed each other photos of some of the nice things we'd seen. Basically he'd diverted off his route, parked up and taken time out of his day just to talk to me. What a top bloke!

And yes, that is a Porsche 911 on the back, a 1974 model he picked up from France yesterday.

I got papped by a photographer between j16/17 M6 in an Arclid merc delivering it back on Saturday. No idea if the picture is online yet but I recon the usual driver is gonna be pissed because it’s me behind the wheel and not him lol. 

46 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

No idea if the picture is online yet but I recon the usual driver is gonna be pissed because it’s me behind the wheel and not him lol. 

I found my reg online, the truck was  photographed near our depot. Checked the date of the photo with tachomaster, i'd been in my unit all week except that Tuesday. Gutted. Still couldn't see who was driving though.

14 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Yeah I’ve put the reg in but nothing comes up. Unless it was just a truck spotter out to pap for his own collection lol

Bizarrely I sort of discovered mine by accident. To find it again the full reg doesn't come up with anything but  ??17(space)??? finds it. Try breaking the reg up.

29 minutes ago, Agila said:

Bizarrely I sort of discovered mine by accident. To find it again the full reg doesn't come up with anything but  ??17(space)??? finds it. Try breaking the reg up.

Have done. Tried the trucks company and the make still nowt. Bizarrely it’s their only merc as they run volvos 

Some lovely stuff passed through yesterday morning, but you're not interested in blinged-up Scania show trucks are you? Here's a couple more in keeping with this place.

This waste disposal firm are well known for using elderly Fodens long past their sell-by date

50188014578_dbd845b05c_c.jpg

CF03 EEY - Cammack & Wilcox by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

And the oldest I've seen so far, a 1992 Volvo FL6 still pottering around as a horsebox

50191138003_9a32c5461a_c.jpg

K196 OKB - unknown by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

The most interesting spot came through just as I was leaving so I didn't manage to photograph it. A fairly elderly RHD Scania unit registered UKAX 175 with what was obviously an American box trailer. Turns out it belongs to the AAFES, the retail arm of the US Department of Defense (with an S 'cos Septics can't spell) and had presumably been supplying the shop at the nearby USAF base. A European unit pulling a US-style trailer was a really weird looking combination.

And I also saw something to confuse the Stobart Spotters as Unsteady Eddie doesn't run tippers. It belongs to Stobart Haulage of Chipping Norton, a small firm run by a Rupert Stobart.

50191685316_1613b1e52e_c.jpg

LK67 LDV - Stobart by Adam Floyd, on Flickr