Truck Shite

quicksilver

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2020 at 7:43 AM, warch said:

I haz truck related questions. What are those tiny short articulated lorries for? They usually serve small supermarkets and chain shops. I get that they only need to carry a small load but what advantage do they have over a rigid lorry?

Also, are euro style 4 wheeled tractor units now more common? I've seen quite a few new plate full size ones with UK plates this year.

Further to other replies, urban artics - as they’re sometimes known - are more manoeuvrable in certain respects than a rigid with the same load volume.

I used to deliver to shops with an 18t rigid. Occasionally I’d be told off for reversing off the road into a yard: “The risk assessment says you have to drive in and turn in the yard!”  
“Yes, but your risk assessment is for an artic which can screw around in it’s own length. There’s no way I can turn in here, and you’ll be waiting a long time for your stuff if you want us to come with in artic as we only have two to cover half the country!”  

As of last Friday I don't work with in haulage as I was made redundant. I wont go into the nitty gritty of it.

But yeah, others here know of the amazing* workmanship* I've encountered there over the last 6 months since I've been doing trailers. Last one I had was a bit of "welding" that had been done to a cover tray (Tray that bolts ontop the chassis of the trailer to store crap), they are prone to cracking on the right side support arms so some have had an extra bit of metal welded for support. This one I came across the bracket had been very badly spot welded on...then the rest 'secured' with silicon paste! If this tray was to fall off, it would case a crazy amount of damage! 

Or finding a set of newly fitted brake shoes that had been fitted wrong, causing an axle to have little to no breaking power. 

Wiring repairs someone had been using spade terminals and leaving them exposed...on wires that are exposed to the elements. Not like there was a box full of proper crimp/heat connectors, along with lots of electrical tape kept in the stores...

Suzue sockets that had been fitted and wired wrongly. You'd think that once you fitted it you'd test it? Nope, they've fitted it and so the trailers been on the road with some lamps not working for the past 12 weeks or so.

All that was within the last 2 weeks of me working there I should add, there's plenty more shit like that. 

My truck pictured this morning in Southminster after making my final delivery for at least three weeks:

photo_2020-04-03_10-46-28.thumb.jpg.035651806107b0b0b6f74fe2e07ebb79.jpg

After two months of driving one almost every working day, I have come to the conclusion that the DAF CF is a brilliant all-round truck, although the engine in mine could do with a bit more torque than it has. I'm already starting to miss driving it, so I hope that I am indeed back at work at the end of this month.

41 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

My truck pictured this morning in Southminster after making my final delivery for at least three weeks:

After two months of driving one almost every working day, I have come to the conclusion that the DAF CF is a brilliant all-round truck, although the engine in mine could do with a bit more torque than it has. I'm already starting to miss driving it, so I hope that I am indeed back at work at the end of this month.

I always thought they were bland and shite, especially in ASTronic auto guise. 

2 hours ago, Shep Shepherd said:

If you're running a 330 DAF at 18 tons and feel it could use more torque, I wonder what our guys running the same 330s at 32 tons must think!!

On 4/3/2020 at 9:01 PM, Shep Shepherd said:

That cab design has got to be the best part of 30 years old now - older than the Stralis design and almost as old as the XF?

The 9 litre things in older CFs are some of the loudest engines I've ever heard - somehow it was a fantastic idea to put these in the superb DAF/VDL buses too.

On 6/24/2017 at 11:45 AM, quicksilver said:

It's taken a fortnight to sort and upload my photos from the Gaydon show as there are so many. Full album is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/quicksilver_coaches/albums/72157682056478143 and a few highlights below:

One of the model show exhibitors turned up in this!

35223266826_db4583a8a9_c.jpg

L691 WSD - Carruthers by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

In the transporter park. Loved the contrast between the shiny Foden and the scruffy ERF pulling it

34454440683_0fb37958a7_c.jpg

J632 NJA - Jimmie Cairnie by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Big mixer from Ireland

35265338485_28ef35cbbb_c.jpg

00-WD-2721 - Roadstone by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Lots of F88s. This one had a bit of a Mad Max vibe.

35135233781_83b02a10ac_c.jpg

OEM 111S - Portland by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

The very first Volvo truck in the UK, now 50 years old

34456225433_d7d1f233b7_c.jpg

The first Volvo - 50 years old! by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

This looked very out of place in a long line of heavies

35228943846_8d55a0f8ff_c.jpg

F774 KNC by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

The Foden Twin Load in all its glory

35139223762_64425c8515_c.jpg

GTU 899G - Knowles by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

A diesel Sentinel must be a rarity

35139224232_7247ee1e45_c.jpg

THY 852 - Knowles by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Anyone heard of a Rutland Eagle before?

34461888634_c93c7b0d34_c.jpg

EEB 844 - Knowles by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

This is lovely and attracted a lot of attention

35215467251_e186f317e3_c.jpg

TJL 562S - E Taylor by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Dutch T45

35347742335_5f88cb9e71_c.jpg

BF-85-TZ - H Dekleijn by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

The oldest known FTF

35298518601_98a2c61c45_c.jpg

MCY 370L - Kermis Conveyor by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Just for Cavcraft because he loves* these so much

35100304520_69f3dfd08a_c.jpg

X100 TOW by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Ex BBC outside broadcast unit

35100305320_0c72696f79_c.jpg

D201 FUW - BBC by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Another obscure make, a Vulcan

35100306910_f0cdc4837c_c.jpg

DUD 216 - Hunt, Edmunds & Co by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Maggie Deutz with awesome air-cooled V8

35356837681_02e1386622_c.jpg

CUB 107Y - Britaniacrest by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Aerodynamics? Never heard of them.

35333045252_94c7a09206_c.jpg

JUX 95V - AH Vater by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Stunning cattle wagon from Ireland

34659049634_0051e3c4b8_c.jpg

76-WD-6081 - M Lonergan by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

And of course, the other Quest 80

35114306200_16231dc028_c.jpg

WNT 502Y - BR Whorton by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

I used to drive for South Staffs Freight which was another name/incarnation of B R Whorton Transport. In 2004 that truck and the sister truck WNT501Y (think that's right) were still parked in the yard. Really odd looking, had box bodies on as they were used for delivering carpets.

South Staffs had some proper ropey trucks back then mine was a 17T Renault Premium with a 250 engine and a slapgate box. That one was about the best of the bunch. R858ATU. It went quite well despite the metal bracket screwed under the accelerator to reduce throttle travel.

Dave

That cab design has got to be the best part of 30 years old now - older than the Stralis design and almost as old as the XF?
The 9 litre things in older CFs are some of the loudest engines I've ever heard - somehow it was a fantastic idea to put these in the superb DAF/VDL buses too.
Beauty (one of Vauxhall's very finest hours) and the beast, which appears to be a wanky Iv*co rebadged as a Sudden Accident Strato. 

92849564_2751114888320218_8747089064563310592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=j7nVHFkt9bEAX_jWgTq&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=89c245cae19bf371ec0ef1d68b0af728&oe=5EB99EE0
This was pre Iveco when SA was owned by Enasa, Pegaso parent company. The cab is the one shared by Pegaso and Daf on a SA chassis. 14 L Cummins ones went well I recall.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

On 2/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, 17-Coffees said:

So my work has taken delivery of brand new Scania R450's....

We were taken over by a bigger firm late 2018 so now being taken fully into there ranks these past few months. Meaning we are now moving to what trucks they want us to take. Which is Scania, so new vehicles are overall 'fleet' spec. We've had a few in the time I've been there, but they have been a case of acquired when taken over another componey or what not, so not been in the componey colours. Personally none of us workshop staff like working on Scanias, so this move is going down well....

Well what can I say? Delivery mileage and throwing up ABS/EBS faults and one of them with an oil leak....I shit you not! ?

I know this is commenting on an old post, but, My Dad’s work has got these new Scanias, I am not sure what BHP they are (but they are not fancy, they are tractor units with small wheels) & he say’s they are “utterly shit” & he prefers the hired in Mercedes Actros Or M.A.N’s that are always hired to replace the Scania’s as they (the Scania’s) keep breaking down. He also said that they are gutless when driving uphills etc...I am sure he said they are limited to 54mph also. I will ask him, but he hates them.

before the Scania’s, his work had Iveco Strallis units, he also said they were shit, unreliable & I do know that they were always going wrong, even the Iveco mechanic who used to come out when they broke down, told him that they were shite

20 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Yes the CF base cab must be getting on a bit now. Definitely as far back as early 2000s and possibly the earlier 90s ones shared the same cab, not sure. 

I agree on the noise too, we have some of the euro 5 9 litre ones still hanging on at work and I can hear them coming long before I see them roll round the corner. Much louder than the euro 6 Dafs, Mercs and Scania we also have. Personally I think they sound fantastic, properly old school, but I imagine that racket must get a bit wearing if you're living with it all day, every day. 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, bigstraight6 said:
  • The American Coleman Space Star from the 1960’s was an unusual beast, It’s like a rigid artic in that there is no fifth wheel...

9E51D5A0-55C3-46FF-AEB5-DE7C075B040B.jpeg

...and you can tell what a huge success it was by how many people know about them and have seen them. I wonder which 4 wheels are driven, middle (2nd steer axle) and rear axle?

I don't understand why anybody would mess with the tractor and trailer formula. Nothing else gives the versatility afforded by swapping the power unit to a completely different trailer configuration at will. Then you have the fact that you can leave a trailer at a company for them to unload at their leisure. If the load box is attached to the truck then it's a different story...

Turns out it was a prototype idea by a snow plow (sic) manufacturer wanting to diversify into highway truck and trailers.

In essence, the photo above is quite misleading, as it appears to be a wagon and drag type truck and trailer but in actual fact, the tractor unit is physically coupled to the first trailer, making it a single unit! The main reason seems to be to save the wasted space between conventional cab and trailer, so I'm guessing this relates to maximum train length on the roads, or something.

More details and some better photos were taken from this Spanish article, which google translates very well:

http://dieciochoruedas.blogspot.com/2015/10/coleman-space-star-el-camion-que.html

545utyt.jpg 

Must admit that I thought the same when I saw the first image! Funnily enough, I recently learnt of this idea from the 1950's:

fa1-1080x650.jpg

The 1950 Fageol TC Cargoliner. Again, an idea into maximising load space, by essentially adding the motive power and controls to a Freuhauf trailer. In order to make the most use of the space, the cab is much smaller and the engine is mid-mounted and underslung.

fa10-760x521.jpg

I think it's safe to say that the steering is somewhat rudimentary!

Above images and further info gained from this article:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=138179

In a funny twist of fate, I learnt of the Fageol Cargoliner from an article in an NZ truck magazine about trucks with underslung engines. It showed a photo of the Cargoliner but quoted it as being a Super Freighter. Googling that model revealed that I'd spotted one in of these in 2017, in Tulsa, Oklahoma so now I can identify it!

37742355151_826bbf7e13_b.jpg

37484257710_fcaf16bab6_b.jpg

I also spotted this one stored just behind the two trucks above but am still not sure who made it:

37484255420_6cbdfc098c_b.jpg

Anyway, another article which gives more information on these and also features a photo of the one I spotted, too:

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/trucks-and-heavy-equipment/truck-stop-classics-1952-fageol-super-freighter-the-definitive-50s-moving-van/

1 hour ago, Asimo said:

Any other front wheel drive trucks?

Not quite a truck but Cobus airport buses are front wheel drive. They have a longitudinal front mounted engine (from an Atego I think) which powers a steering axle typically used for 4*4 / military applications. This means the remainder of the bus can be fully low floor with no axle intrusion.

Things can and do go wrong, this was years ago when I was driving rigids and on this particular day I had a newly qualified driver out with me to “show the ropes” and our last drop of the day was a new build house at East Prawle near Kingsbridge in South Devon, an area where narrow twisting lanes prevail. We got about 100 yards from the drop when I managed to get stuck, I couldn’t make the corner and when I tried to reverse the combination of the lorry losing grip and the weight on the headboard caused us to slide forward and get wedged between the hedges.

The blokes on the site were brilliant and took a tele handler some distance through the lanes to get behind us and we attached a chain from it to the rear axle of the lorry and yanked the bugger out, no damage except my pride...

86828DBD-610D-45A5-939A-C3428192433A.jpeg