Truck Shite

quicksilver

Damn, that's a shame. Didn't think it was going to be easy, I'm honestly really shocked that there is absolutely no mention of this stuff on Google at all. Good idea about the museum, I live in Leyland where there is the commercial vehicle museum, I might go in later and see if I can get any information out of them, not hopeful though. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

Oh man no, I think you were born to be a lorry driver keeping those big wheels turning, Merry Christmas Sir and think again!

I'm giving serious thought to going for my C/C+E after new year but my employer were less than helpful after my mother passed away (the phrase used was "you get three days for a bereavement, we'll see you on Wednesday") so when the seventh or eighth letter from HR arrived on the 21st saying that they would be terminating my contract if I didn't return so I told them to ram it.

Had a coach outfit chasing me since I left the bus company in July, been told to tell them what I want and when I'm starting so going back to it for a bit. Slightly longer commute but all contract work, no stage carriage or private hire.

5 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

I'd quite like a PSV licence, but I don't think I'd use it, as having to deal with transporting people as opposed to bits of steel would do my head in...

I've done PSV for ages. The buses are all a bit sterile now, much preferred being hit with a 30 year old Leyland Leopard when I started, or even 70 hours a week in a manual Merc.

4 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

I'd quite like a PSV licence, but I don't think I'd use it, as having to deal with transporting people as opposed to bits of steel would do my head in...

With buses / coaches the load gets on its self so there's no delays, especially if you work to my time table ("the drivers watch says 11.55 . The coach leaves at 5pm. Feel free to turn up at anytime after that, the railway station is....).

Occasionally, I wonder if that couple I left at Leicester Forest East ever got to Victoria.....

17 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

This! I drive an artic on multi drop and relish comments like “how the fuck did you do that” after I’ve reversed a 40 foot tri axle into a tight yard and what you are transporting doesn’t complain! PSV drivers are not allowed to reverse so they keep telling me...

11 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

With buses / coaches the load gets on its self so there's no delays, especially if you work to my time table ("the drivers watch says 11.55 . The coach leaves at 5pm. Feel free to turn up at anytime after that, the railway station is....).

Occasionally, I wonder if that couple I left at Leicester Forest East ever got to Victoria.....

Reminds me of when I went to a broken down Mega Bus at Sandbach services. Driver and passengers were all stood outside so I cracked on and found my way into the engine compartment buried deep inside. 5 mins later I got out, no one there. I rang the driver. “Where the fuck are you?” 

“We all got picked up by another bus, if you fix it, take it back to your workshop!” My response was not a chance. After hanging up a hurried passenger showed up, where is everyone? He asked. Gone mate.  You missed the bus ?

9 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

This! I drive an artic on multi drop and relish comments like “how the fuck did you do that” after I’ve reversed a 40 foot tri axle into a tight yard and what you are transporting doesn’t complain! PSV drivers are not allowed to reverse so they keep telling me...

They are, it is an urban legend that persists.

I have on a number of occasions refused to reverse, but only ever if I either have schoolkids on, OR if I'm at a school with kids wandering about.

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

My all time best score was the day I took 43 assorted doormen from Leeds to Blackpool on an all day January jolly.

Parked up at the old Rigby rd coach park at 12.30 with strict instructions to be back on board for a prompt 22.00 departure... left at 22.20 with 6 on board!

Best thing was the following morning when I returned to the yard to clean out the bus and found thirty odd unopened crates of beer in the side lockers that they’d brought with them and never touched! ?

1 hour ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

That's why when I worked in psv they were known as steerers anything harder than pressing the button with D on it was to complicated.

Two pedal jockeys where I worked....

We had half a dozen DAF Berkhofs with a four over four box....always entertaining to see the ex-Yorkshire Rider lads have a go on them ?

8 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

My all time best score was the day I took 43 assorted doormen from Leeds to Blackpool on an all day January jolly.

Parked up at the old Rigby rd coach park at 12.30 with strict instructions to be back on board for a prompt 22.00 departure... left at 22.20 with 6 on board!

Best thing was the following morning when I returned to the yard to clean out the bus and found thirty odd unopened crates of beer in the side lockers that they’d brought with them and never touched! ?

I bet the boot of your car hung low that day ?

• 4 weeks later...

Got my unit back after a night trunk driver ploughed into an abandoned drunk driver crashed car back in early November, I think it took so long due to the circumstances and it was borderline write off.  The first day I got her back I was on the Totnes Paignton road when a pheasant flew out of the hedge straight into the windscreen breaking it (and the pheasant!) so it was off the road another day..

Here she is today waiting to take a full load as storm clouds brew over Buckland Filliegh....

5329EB05-BDEC-41F6-942E-ED36429A19D8.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Due to passing my probation period and also due to my company bringing more of its brand new DAF CFs and LFs into use, I was finally allocated my own truck this week, after six months of driving various shagged-out Volvo FEs and DAF LF 7.5 tonners, namely a 65-plate DAF CF:

photo_2020-02-04_18-52-23.jpg

It's nice to have a truck with a decent stereo with AUX-IN capability, electric mirrors, a comprehensive built-in driving timer and lots of places  to store the flotsam and jetsam of everyday truck driving. Hopefully, it will be mine for the foreseeable future :)

So my work has taken delivery of brand new Scania R450's....

We were taken over by a bigger firm late 2018 so now being taken fully into there ranks these past few months. Meaning we are now moving to what trucks they want us to take. Which is Scania, so new vehicles are overall 'fleet' spec. We've had a few in the time I've been there, but they have been a case of acquired when taken over another componey or what not, so not been in the componey colours. Personally none of us workshop staff like working on Scanias, so this move is going down well....

Well what can I say? Delivery mileage and throwing up ABS/EBS faults and one of them with an oil leak....I shit you not! ?

I haz truck related questions. What are those tiny short articulated lorries for? They usually serve small supermarkets and chain shops. I get that they only need to carry a small load but what advantage do they have over a rigid lorry?

Also, are euro style 4 wheeled tractor units now more common? I've seen quite a few new plate full size ones with UK plates this year.

11 minutes ago, warch said:

I haz truck related questions. What are those tiny short articulated lorries for? They usually serve small supermarkets and chain shops. I get that they only need to carry a small load but what advantage do they have over a rigid lorry?

Size for small shops is obvious.

But the point of having a small trailer is it's fits with the set up. Any tractor unit able to deliver it to store. Any shunt tug to move it round a yard to load etc. 

Easy to move around the country for swaps etc. It's like having a rigid benefit for a specific purpose with only a small disadvantage. Compared to having to run a rigid would be a proper pain. Especially as there may not be enough work for it, so you either have a class 2 driver underworked or a class 1 driver overpaid.

7 hours ago, warch said:

Also, are euro style 4 wheeled tractor units now more common? I've seen quite a few new plate full size ones with UK plates this year.

I used to look after some small MAN units (like a 7.5tonner tractor unit and small trailer) used for getting out to pubs and shops in the middle of nowhere where a standard rigid or artic wouldn’t get. 

as for the 4 wheel, (2 axle?) units. They are common abroad because the only carry 40 ton instead of 44 like us. That extra 4 ton usually means we need an extra axle to take the weight. 

• 2 weeks later...
So my work has taken delivery of brand new Scania R450's....
We were taken over by a bigger firm late 2018 so now being taken fully into there ranks these past few months. Meaning we are now moving to what trucks they want us to take. Which is Scania, so new vehicles are overall 'fleet' spec. We've had a few in the time I've been there, but they have been a case of acquired when taken over another componey or what not, so not been in the componey colours. Personally none of us workshop staff like working on Scanias, so this move is going down well....
Well what can I say? Delivery mileage and throwing up ABS/EBS faults and one of them with an oil leak....I shit you not! 

I see H-C have had 500 MAN in the fleet for a while, think you'll get any of the new ones?
Big loss for Norscot if you guys go all Scania. Look weird in your colours too as we're not used to them.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk