Truck Shite

quicksilver

The plan was to be at the top when listings were alphabetical. A bit irrelevant now though. 

Moved from that house now. Could get an artic on the drive there. Probably 3 if we parked on the front lawn as well. 

The neighbours there were not my type of people and quite often I had letters dropped through the door. Normally regarding old cars  (all legal and nice cars that were garaged) , me coming and going at all hours so must be up to no good (I wish transport was a 9-5 weekday job) and if I parked a van on the drive it supposedly it brought down the tone of the area. We were half the age of everyone else there and they didn't like change. Houses only ever went up for sale when somebody died. 

56 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

I love my MAN I drive, it gets the job done with no fussy gimmicks to go wrong in theoryIMG_20190607_042816.thumb.jpg.f12367f84a76c4aa1b12476724f6fc47.jpg

We have just sent our 65 reg back to MAN at the end of the lease. They are by far the cheapest for a new one but although Nuneaton depot is fine as you probably know,  but aftersales through MAN head office are useless. 

Here’s my current steed when it was brand new on the fleet, she’s just about to crack 500,000k now and has been virtually fault free in service. These MAN’s have been far superior to the Renault and Merc units we had previously, the Merc Actros units were particularly bad and the boss won’t even consider that brand now.

8EC48300-0A45-46DC-B631-A6245CD552F1.jpeg

7 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

MAN have had to up their game after the D20 Engine was a huge failure. They are on the up again. Haven’t seen many Merc engines rebuilt but the rest of them falls apart instead 

Am I right in thinking that MAN and Scania have given up trying to run engines that are cleaned by EGR only? I.e. does everything on the market now need Adblue

4 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Am I right in thinking that MAN and Scania have given up trying to run engines that are cleaned by EGR only? I.e. does everything on the market now need Adblue

EGR alone does not comply with euro6 emissions. So newer trucks have both EGR and Ad blue. MAN sold the d20 with either EGR or Adblue. If you bought one with EGR you could bet your bottom dollar you’d be having it rebuilt. The adblue motors seamed to be fine. 

• 1 month later...

Today at 0430 when I discovered that my current truck (2013 Volvo FE) had been left in the warehouse after it had been loaded, meaning that I didn't get cold, wet and miserable while doing my daily checks and securing the load:

photo_2019-11-01_18-03-12.jpg

There was plenty of scope to get wet (and muddy) later on in the day, believe me!

I’m without my unit from a few posts up, 2 weeks ago a night trunk driver hit a car that had been crashed and abandoned on the A38 near Buckfastleigh by a drunk driver. The weather conditions were very poor with heavy rain and our driver didn’t see the car until it was too late, he was very shaken up as he didn’t know there was nobody in the car....

I’m not sure if the insurance will have it repaired of written off at the moment, no decision has been made. I’ve got the delights of our spare unit which is a 14 plate with 700,000 k’s on it which is nowhere near as nice to drive, at least it’s not an Iveco!

The funfair has been again and I'm pleased to report this trio of immortal ERFs are all still going strong.

49038123452_8510370b0e_c.jpg

VRW 531S - Albert Smith by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

49037032683_354be2694f_c.jpg

GEG 968W - Charlie Appleton by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

48923818956_d13003b878_c.jpg

JKY 452W - Mark & Gary Forest by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

This one was the 'modern' replacement for the S-reg but itself is now 25 years old!

48991961502_9659819fb0_c.jpg

M366 NNC - Albert Smith by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

This one however is unlikely to be seen again. It looked like it was on its last legs and was due for retirement at the end of this season.

48923818856_900a50410c_c.jpg

E644 SOG - Paul Nichols by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

And here's a Foden with an awesome-sounding 500 Cummins. That load I'm told tips the scales at 68 tonnes so it needs all the power.

49037659727_a2909e2928_c.jpg

P864 PVM - Charles Deakin by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

The fleet at work (Big green supermarket beginning with W) always gets more interesting over the Christmas period. Usually the wagons that deliver to us are 2013-onwards Scanias, DAFs and New-shape Actros's (Actros'? Actroses? Actrosses? Idk.). However during the peak demand season, they reinstate a lot of the older fleet which are mothballed for a few years after retirement from the main fleet. So today's excitement was the arrival of a pair of 12-plate old-shape Actroses and a 61 plate DAF. All of them absolutely spotless so had clearly just been woken up for Winter and sent through the wash before doing their drops to us. All very exciting to see some fleet-scaled Truckshite in action, especially as I think it might be the last year for the 61-platers. Also, I never used to like the old shape Actrosses much, but they've suddenly become really smart looking trucks?!

No pics because I can't really wonder off into the yard to get a piccy while I'm unloading the buggers.

1 minute ago, Crackers said:

...New-shape Actros's...

...12-plate old-shape Actroses...

...old shape Actrosses...

Google suggests I'm an idiot.

The new shape Mercs are the Antos and are therefore rubbish.

The old shape  Mercs are the Axors, which are excellent. And that also explains why I thought the old Actros suddenly became good looking: It wasn't an Actros I was staring at. ?

6 hours ago, Crackers said:

Google suggests I'm an idiot.

The new shape Mercs are the Antos and are therefore rubbish.

The old shape  Mercs are the Axors, which are excellent. And that also explains why I thought the old Actros suddenly became good looking: It wasn't an Actros I was staring at. ?

The Antos is a rigid that looks like a smaller version of the Actros which is usually ungratefully under powered. Axor do a unit, like the Actros inside and out but the cab is narrower and the expansion tank is placed at the back of the cab. Also available in rigid, also with an under powered engine. 

7 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

The Antos is a rigid that looks like a smaller version of the Actros which is usually ungratefully under powered. Axor do a unit, like the Actros inside and out but the cab is narrower and the expansion tank is placed at the back of the cab. Also available in rigid, also with an under powered engine. 

We have Antos artics, they do some of our store deliveries. 

2 hours ago, Crackers said:

We have Antos artics, they do some of our store deliveries. 

Yes commonly used for the brewery departments for running to pubs in the middle of nowhere etc etc.Don’t see many Antos units round our way, they tend to use DAF. 

39 minutes ago, Crackers said:

The majority of units we get are DAFs, which are most agreeable as they sound super! The Mercs are less frequent visitors, and Scanias even less so. 

I’ve mainly only driven mercs. I didn’t have my licence when I worked for a DAF dealer. I drove a CF unit about 6 months ago and it felt much better than the mercs! Shame really as you’d expect Mercedes to be leading that role. 

I get the feeling the DAFs are more popular, especially as a fleet workhorse that just need to get the job done reliably. I'd be fairly confident saying that JLP wouldn't have been using them for near-on 20 years if they weren't any good! The company have tried various models of Mercs over the years and I can't see that they've been too thrilled with any of them, with there only being 3(?) reg-years of Axors and 2 reg-years of Antoses. Whereas the DAFs we have a good 9 years worth of DAFs on the fleet currently, from 2010 to brand new. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:48 AM, Microwave said:

Not sure if anyone here actually knows anything about these

Ok, so a while ago I made a post on here about a 1938 Crossley wagon that someone I know has. At some point after that I was led to believe that the Manchester science museum has manuals on these things in their archives, and it turned out to be true. Recently, the owner was sent a huge photocopied manual for a slightly later model and it contains lots of useful information, and some not so useful information.

The reason I'm making this post is because despite all the new information, we still don't know what oil this thing needs in the engine, gearbox, diff etc. As the manual is dated November 1944, I'm assuming the oil specifications listed are some long forgotten military code. I'm hoping someone here knows what these numbers means.

vO4GkT5.jpg

This is, as the heading suggests, some general engine information. It lists the oil as oil Stores Ref. 34A/35. Does anyone know what that equates to in modern terms? We're thinking straight 30s or something, but want to be sure. The following pages have the same issue if anyone can help (some seem to share a common oil type):

ZrZ30oN.jpg

IoBJl6M.jpg?1

8bqzCDB.jpg

JmhGguY.jpg?1

So yeah, in short, what exactly is oil Stores Ref. 34A/35, Stores Ref. 34A/77 and 34A/50,51? Would appreciate any help.