Truck Shite

quicksilver

12 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Whilst on my travels last wee, I came across this very tidy little MAN curtainsider. Always stored undercover and recently through its test, it was used to transport peas to market but is now surplus, and the owner is thinking of selling. I managed to avoid asking how much.....

Which reminds me - it's pea vining time in East Yorkshire/N Lincs which usually means the hauliers drag out older wagons fitted with the special stainless steel pea containers. Keep an eye out for them; for the uninitiated they often look like this (note the number (often only displayed in the cab window) which tells the factory which wagon it is and hence the 'age' of the peas in order for them to be processed within 90mins of picking).

19396806064_1f4f28aa3d_b.thumb.jpg.0fa058ba2b09d0f26ebb8842659e5e6c.jpg

2 hours ago, martc said:

Which reminds me - it's pea vining time in East Yorkshire/N Lincs which usually means the hauliers drag out older wagons fitted with the special stainless steel pea containers. Keep an eye out for them; for the uninitiated they often look like this (note the number (often only displayed in the cab window) which tells the factory which wagon it is and hence the 'age' of the peas in order for them to be processed within 90mins of picking).

19396806064_1f4f28aa3d_b.thumb.jpg.0fa058ba2b09d0f26ebb8842659e5e6c.jpg

I served my apprenticeship on these kind of trucks, at an MAN dealership. No peas though, Wbb minerals had a fleet of those that were usually borked. Fun fact of the day, MAN made Panther tanks for the Germans during WW2.  

14 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

New Iveco S-way. Probably future truck shite.
I like it though!2ec05f082fe0263190f818d039f64c2d.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

That Iveco looks like a transformers model.

Being an Iveco, it will of course transform into a pile of shite quite quickly!

Saw my first Pea wagon of this years campaign yesterday. Broken down at the end of our road. Half on and off the main road junction...05 plate Scania...

13 hours ago, Pillock said:

I tried Google, but no luck. Why the special trucks with stainless steel pea-holders?

I believe the holders are dismountable and stored in a big shed and the wagons used are standard flat backs. But the trade is seasonal so the haulier drags out whatever isn't in use for regular work - ie the old snotters. This is a bit of a gamble (see Vin's comment above) as they need to get from field to factory in <90 mins.

Today I saw two FH's on pea duty. And an old Scania that looked like it was owned by a Mod with magpie tendencies.

As we were driving down the M1 this morning I said to Mrs BMH "grab my phone and photo that lorry".

"Lorry?, what lorry?".

"I'll tell you when, it'll be through the passenger window".

?

"Get ready"

"That lorry!".

She didn't do a bad job.

IMG_20190711_113425.thumb.jpg.9e4d116927322d34c36ee5e0d02e6164.jpg

Quite an impressive landmark now just north of J24

Just a wee reminder its the Ayrshire Classic Commercial road run this weekend. 150 trucks have entered. Starting at Ayr shore front on Saturday and heading up to Largs. Then heading to Rugby Park in Kilmarnock for 12.30 till 3.30. Then heading down to Portpatrick for an overnight stay.On Sunday leaving Portpatrick and heading to Lockerbie Truck Stop. I will be in my blue and grey coloured Stonefield 4x4. Pop in and say hi if you see us(tea and biscuits might be available)or give us a wave if I am moving.

Transfer boxes fine. Although my torqueflite gearbox died last year. The one on ebay was fitted with a range rover engine and broken gearbox.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stonefield-p3000-breakdown-spec-lift-truck-1979/143307395239?hash=item215dc950a7:g:jjkAAOSw-X9dERqW

Is this not near you?

All you need to know about Stonefields here....

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/stonefieldtkf/discussion/all

On 6/24/2019 at 10:17 AM, sierraman said:

So they can be chucking out all sorts of crap for an indeterminate time in Africa. What about fault finding with things like the auto gearbox, they’d be properly stuffed then I’d assume? 

Be interested to know how many actually end up in Africa. When I went to central Asia last year the overwhelming majority of trucks were ex-European, they often didn't even bother removing the original operator's decals. Mostly German companies operating in Kazakhstan it turns out. They also imported a lot of old US trucks.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, 5speedracer said:

New Iveco S-way. Probably future truck shite.
I like it though!2ec05f082fe0263190f818d039f64c2d.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

That old Iveco Stralis cab must have been around for the best past of 30 years. So looks like the DAF XF gets the crown then of longest serving design.

The Cf has been around just as long too.  I remember driving a 1997 85CF which had the sleeper cab without the bulge in the back of the cab so a narrow bed. Every time I get in a Cf it seems like I'm stepping back 20 odd years. The current Lf came out in 2001'ish  so had a pretty run too. They just keep lobbing a different front panel on it every so often.  I'm getting serious hankerings for getting an classic tractor unit, a Ford Transcontinental is near the top of the list.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, busmansholiday said:

As we were driving down the M1 this morning I said to Mrs BMH "grab my phone and photo that lorry".

"Lorry?, what lorry?".

"I'll tell you when, it'll be through the passenger window".

?

"Get ready"

"That lorry!".

She didn't do a bad job.

IMG_20190711_113425.thumb.jpg.9e4d116927322d34c36ee5e0d02e6164.jpg

Quite an impressive landmark now just north of J24

It just so happens that I was heading down the M1 yesterday morning (closer to late morning) in a 5ton brand new sprinter when I spotted that scania suspended ontop of those containers....... looks kind cool sat up there, ish. 

9 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

It just so happens that I was heading down the M1 yesterday morning (closer to late morning) in a 5ton brand new sprinter when I spotted that scania suspended ontop of those containers....... looks kind cool sat up there, ish. 

It's been there quite a fair few months now. It's engineless, but certainly draws your attention.

I didn't realise this technology had come in. However, although it will take some getting used to it would be brilliant not having mirrors plastered in spray in the rain and night vision would be much improved probably too. I'll miss the fact that if the mirrors clear you'll get through though! Wonder if they adjust so you can get the perfect driving position, or whether that won't be needed anymore as the mirror view will stay the same regardless of seat position. Can you still adjust the nearside mirror so you can follow the trailer in on blind sides?

43 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

I didn't realise this technology had come in. However, although it will take some getting used to it would be brilliant not having mirrors plastered in spray in the rain and night vision would be much improved probably too. I'll miss the fact that if the mirrors clear you'll get through though! Wonder if they adjust so you can get the perfect driving position, or whether that won't be needed anymore as the mirror view will stay the same regardless of seat position. Can you still adjust the nearside mirror so you can follow the trailer in on blind sides?

The mirror cameras follow the line of the trailer when turning so you can see the rear of the trailer. It’s quite weird driving with them. The nearside mirror screen is smaller than the original mirror so takes some getting used to.