Truck Shite

quicksilver

Cummins also did a V6 IIRC, sure Atkinson and possible Foden used it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dodge fitted the ill fated Cummins V6 vale engines in their 500 series, it was a very poor engine with numerous issues and was dropped after a short time and the company reverting to Perkins engines..

Rowe Hillmaster?

It is indeed a Rowe Hillmaster, one of the 120 or there abouts built by the Cornish company between 1954-62. The particular example in my avatar (126 CAF) is 1 of 15 that are apparently known to survive though I’ve not seen this particular lorry myself as it’s under restoration, I have seen a fair few of the other survivors as most are owned by Westcountry based enthusiasts and appear at local shows.

Another example (37 AOD) has just been restored by its original owners, the Gregory transport company and the lorry is now proudly on display in a heritage reception area of the companies Cullompton base.

The fair is in Milton Keynes at the moment. Amongst all the modern stuff I found this pair of classic Fodens still going strong with Hatwells Leisure's Electric Dreams Waltzer, and very nice they are too.

32161551037_b4a8e89a13_c.jpg

GCE 479W - Perry Hatwell by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

46189675195_796188df2e_c.jpg

E465 MHW - Perry Hatwell by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

That puddle was really quite large BTW but those Fodens were worth getting wet feet for

46380148404_05d441dd72_c.jpg

On reflection... by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

The last few times the fairs came by they were empty, I doubt they were even covering wages for the casuals let alone making any money. I wouldn't want to be a traveling ride owner/ operator these days :(

The days of getting £10 an hour cash for putting up/ pulling down then taking tickets/ eyeing up women at the smaller shows are gone.

Dad used to drive for these and those old A series were rebuilt overnight sometimes.

e896dbf99c98282ecdd210e1e08ff631.jpg

Used to go to Gordon’s farm on a Saturday morning and get paid about £20 to wash wagons. Best part was reversing them into impossible gaps because you could. Weird how I ended up in IT really.

Had a trip up to the Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, because why not.

It's a good start when this is in their carpark...

7d3bb23fbf523dba8e49f377c23abd6b.jpg

Drinking and Driving is bad, mkay, but apparently you needed a stiff drink after piloting this

c4c5518afd1f3eb580036d863fc664a3.jpg

Anyone remember the Scampi Fries advert with the Roadrunner driving out of the sea? This is the scale model they used

8146f68e15cbd82cd8ed4dec3fddad08.jpg

TEH FEWTURE

6a90d76122b124be04cb69d0132552e4.jpg

f026dc725c35ff273c04e1b2424e79d4.jpg

Had a trip up to the Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, because why not.

It's a good start when this is in their carpark...

7d3bb23fbf523dba8e49f377c23abd6b.jpg

Drinking and Driving is bad, mkay, but apparently you needed a stiff drink after piloting this

c4c5518afd1f3eb580036d863fc664a3.jpg

Anyone remember the Scampi Fries advert with the Roadrunner driving out of the sea? This is the scale model they used

8146f68e15cbd82cd8ed4dec3fddad08.jpg

TEH FEWTURE

6a90d76122b124be04cb69d0132552e4.jpg

f026dc725c35ff273c04e1b2424e79d4.jpg

The future looks like an old Citroen

It was the mid 90s take on the future, so it's sort of our futuristic past.

That said.... Well their idea of what the future entailed was:

* Aluminium chassis bonded with glue rather than welded.

* Computer controlled engine (fuel injection etc)

* Satnav (well, the speedo had "miles until next turn")

* A TV screen for unknown purposes

* Aerodynamic aids

I don't reckon that's a bad stab. Apparently it was on Tomorrow's World.

Cheers for the photos, Pillock, I'm glad the museum's still going. I went there in 1994 when I went on a mini-break to a hotel in Preston, with my parents (halcyon days....). I don't remember seeing the Scampi Fries Roadrunner at the time, which is strange, as I love Scampi Fries and I can't think where else it may have been at the time. I think if I'd been the model maker and spent all that time detailing that model, I'd be a bit miffed to see how little of it was actually seen in the final advert - I reckon the box body on a home made wooden go-cart chassis would've sufficed!

I also remember seeing the Transit Supervan II in its original mk2 body and livery, before the body was butchered into the smiley face Supervan 3 that Ford demonstrated a couple of years later.

I also brought this back as a souvenir of my visit:

46404715664_20e059a80c_z.jpg

Quite why I bought a souvenir ash tray aged 13 (when no-one in our house smoked), I'll never know. Equally strange is why I chose to bring it to NZ with me...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...