Truck Shite

quicksilver

I'm on my phone at the moment & I can't for some reason put pictures up with the link, however, check this beauty out, 1 owner from new (53 years)....

Lovely lovely old thing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1966-ford-D-series-lorry-D800-one-owner-from-new-53-years-very-reluctant-sale/123581762702?hash=item1cc60c0c8e:g:gdgAAOSwVXdcETpf

What's this?

attachicon.gif1547292340974.jpg

I remember these in service here, the Perkins engine sounded great when the pto was engaged to compact the rubbish being thrown in the back by bin men, who would walk up the driveway to the rear of the house to pick up the metal bins and carry them over their shoulders back to the cart...I had a nice Corgi model of one of these to...

thrown in the back by bin men, who would walk up the driveway to the rear of the house to pick up the metal bins and carry them over their shoulders back to the cart...

....and leave a trail of damp paper and tin cans behind them.

Did the S&D type mentioned above have the steps and handles at the back that the bin men stood on/grasped hold of whilst in motion? I recall these as a youth and the sound of the head bin man slapping/hitting with a blunt object the side of the lorry to tell the driver to move on. I wanted to be a bin man based solely on the fact that they could ride on the steps at the back.

....and leave a trail of damp paper and tin cans behind them.

Did the S&D type mentioned above have the steps and handles at the back that the bin men stood on/grasped hold of whilst in motion? I recall these as a youth and the sound of the head bin man slapping/hitting with a blunt object the side of the lorry to tell the driver to move on. I wanted to be a bin man based solely on the fact that they could ride on the steps at the back.

Pakamatics and the later Pakajector certainly had footplates at the back. The hopper was about chest to shoulder height because of how the compactor worked, so the loaders had a step on the back to reduce the height needed to lift a bin. 

TBH I can't see why they were banned over here. A lot of European countries have a footplate for the men on the back. Would make the job a hell of a lot quicker.

Pakamatics and the later Pakajector certainly had footplates at the back. The hopper was about chest to shoulder height because of how the compactor worked, so the loaders had a step on the back to reduce the height needed to lift a bin. 

TBH I can't see why they were banned over here. A lot of European countries have a footplate for the men on the back. Would make the job a hell of a lot quicker.

Indeed, but it’s the norm now in our green and septic Isle too ban everything from driving any vehicle with an internal combustion engine, being normal and eating meat, watching reruns of ‘It ain’t half hot mum’, male TV or radio presenters, so small wonder bin men riding foot plates was done for...

I saw a Scania today. It was an L reg. Now you are probably thinking,

ok its a 93, so it's knocking on a bit, and ?

Well, It wasn't an L from 93, IT WAS AN L FROM 70 FUCKIN 3.

Could not fookin believe it !! Artic pulling a full load of tree trunks,

between Stourbridge and Hagley. Well known places for large pine forests

in need of a trim obviously. In 8 years living here I've never seen a tree trunk

on anything.

It was fuckin magnificent coming towards me on the other side of a wide road

where traffic is moving at no more than 30 on a good day. I attracted his attention

by a subtle, feeble, flash of my French headlights that were probably designed 

about the time his truck was built.

As we passed each other I nodded, in a somewhat fauning manner, actually I was giving

it the big wave, and he did point and give me a thumbs up to my obviously inferior

30 year old chod. I felt blessed to be acknowledged by a driver of such magnificence.

As I was blinded by this truck from the gods I failed, miserably, to see what model it was.

Can't be that many 73 Scanny's knockin about. Anyone know anything about it ?

Thats so cool!

I realised sure you see the odd vintage bus out and about, but you never seen vintage lorries still earning a keep

I wonder what the milage is on that lorry, must be intergalactic by now! :)

There was a feature on it in Commercial Motor 6 years ago, which reckoned it had done somewhere around 3.5-4 million kilometres then. It's had two or three engines, a new cab and various other replacement bits in its time so it's a bit of a Trigger's broom.

Funnily enough, I passed that F88 on the M42 a week or so ago.  He was lumbering up the incline west of Hopwood Svs fairly slowly given that he was unladen.

On the odd occasion I've seen him in the past he's always been going L.F. on account of being too old to require a limiter.

HERO.

When you head out into the sticks there’s a few old trucks still working. Farmers with old Volvo f6 Turbo sixes etc. As far as using a lorry goes the use they’ll get is fairly light. Something like a new tipper will be run 24/7, day shift then a night driver. You couldn’t possibly make it pay running it on days. Hence at 10 years old they are bollocksed. Doing a couple of runs a week loaded up with hay or whatever and it’ll last much longer, plus when it’s your truck you take a lot more care with it.

• 3 weeks later...

From... http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/31st-october-1969/46/cummins-v-diesel-range-extended

"The range of Cummins V6 and V8 diesel engines made in Darlington has been extended with the introduction of the V6-155 and V8-210. The V6 has a rated power output of 15513hp at 3.300 rpm (BS gross) with a maximum torque of 302 lb. ft. at 1,900 rpm while the V8 produces 210 bhp at 3,300 rpm (BS gross) with a maximum torque of 405 lb. ft. at 1,900 rpm. The engines will be applied initially in certain overseas markets, and are at present available in the UK only for vehicle manufacturer evaluation.

The new engine models are developed directly from the Cummins V6-140 and V8-185 engines, the improved performance being obtained by increased swept volume capacity. The piston displacement of the V6 is increased from 352 cu.in. (5.77 litres) to 378 cu.in. (6.2 litres) and the displacement of the V8 from 470 cu.in. (7.71 litres) to 504 cu.in. (8.27 litres). The up-rating has been achieved by a moderate increase in the piston stroke-0.25in.—and there is no change in cylinder bore size.

Piston design is changed by moving the gudgeon pin nearer to the crown and. compression ratio 17 to 1 results. The new gudgeon pin location and a new piston ring pack are said to improve piston stability and oil control. Other alterations include revised camshaft timing and overlap and while the new engines are dimensionally almost interchangeable with the earlier types, there is a significant difference in the package size caused by the fitting of a deeper and larger-capacity oil pan and modifications to the cooling system.

A significant feature of both the V6-155 and the V8-210 is that the cooling water flow pattern has been changed by the intro

duction of a front water cross-over in place of the rear water cross-over in the V6-140/ V8-185 design. The modification allows a greater flow rate and a much improved distribution of cooling water in the engine: this is accompanied by the introduction of a modulating thermostat which controls the flow of water more precisely than before."

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk