Truck Shite

quicksilver

Some old shite gathering shite I drove at Gravesham Borough Council before I moved to Sussex in 2015.

post-24583-0-20825900-1519857183_thumb.jpg

I loved this old TK, though at my height it was a little cramped. Didn't mind the lack of power steering too much. Only sent to auction because the Hiab died. First heavy commercial I drove in 2000, we had it until around 2003.

post-24583-0-90616900-1519857256_thumb.jpg

First freighter I drove on my own round after passing my HGV in late '01. Retired shortly after. These old Dennis Deltas were absolute pigs to drive, though still better than a Mercedes Econic

post-24583-0-84232100-1519857366_thumb.jpg

This was a good old truck to drive, pretty quick as well (no limiter!). Nice accurate* cable change magic wand gearbox, clutch was heavier than the Delta for some unknown reason.

Still trying to track down the Shelvoke I learnt to drive HGV's in but I can't remember the sodding reg plate. Ahhh nostalgia

Didn't Dennis end up switching to the Allison World Series auto box on bin wagons? I did remember some bloke having a flatbed Elite with that box, a one off special job

Our Dennis' have a autobox fitted and it has Allison written on the button surround so yes.

dozeydustman, that Bedford is lovely, were you all sad to see it go?

Didn't Dennis end up switching to the Allison World Series auto box on bin wagons? I did remember some bloke having a flatbed Elite with that box, a one off special job

They had Autoboxes from the mid 1980's as an option, normally an Allison or ZF unit on the Deltas fitted with a generic 3spd + drive T- shifter. Early Elites could still be ordered with a manual 'box, which I think was an Eaton or ZF unit. The other L-reg (L211FHB) was an auto with the keypad, as were all subsequent lorries. Lovely old Perkins Diesels too.

The Leyland DAF 'carts we had were utter shite, as was the G-reg Leyland Freighter gritter. They went along the road bouncing like Zebadee from the magic roundabout.

that Bedford is lovely, where you all sad to see it go?

I was, but I think I was the only one TBH, everyone else preferred the shitty more modern Leyland Roadrunners and L/DAF 45's. It only went out once a week for fridge & scrap metal collections, had a genuine 38k from new on the clock when she went. 6-pot diesel with a 4-speeder. Above 60 she was a noisy old thing though!

About the only reason I stay on Facebook is to follow Trev's Truck Pictures Page.

He lives in Gozo and travels around there every day, sometimes hopping over to Malta.

90% of the trucks are ex British living a new life.

Pictured by Trev below is what looks like a DAF 75 but its actually an AEC which has been re cabbed with a DAF item. I love stuff like this. All the running gear is original and it has had a 4th axle added. He has posted up lots of videos of the run he got in it. I think its a DAF engine but have asked him the question.

How ace is that!

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1516864750919.jpg

I wonder if the old AEC cab still exists. AEC were (IMO) about the best British trucks and buses in their day. Lovely growly engines (especially the A760) and whining "Southall Orchestra" gearboxes gave them a lot of character. 

I think they'd still be going if they weren't bought by the Plughole of doom. I could see the AEC wings on the front of a few modern trucks....

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed we have a new member called N Dentressangle, which made me realise I haven't seen a Norbert Dressingtable truck on the road for ages.

Have they gone to the wall? They used to be everywhere.

XPO are a 'reorganisation' of the ND group, and what was left of Christian Salvesen and the joint ventures with DB and so on. Certainly their 'recycling and salvage unit' business up here for Asda and Tesco seamlessly transformed from ND to XPO with just the signs and logos changed.

I've trunked plastic granules for them, from Grangemouth to Leigh in the past. In fact, first time I'd to check in at Grangemouth Docks, I asked for XPO and got a puzzled look from the guard. Once I explained it used to be ND, he pointed me to the right yard, but he genuinely hadn't noticed the change. Same guys in the same red Renaults doing the same jobs...

They are an odd company to work for. Nothing wrong per se, it must just be cultural. 53mph limiters on a run like that are a pain in the cunt though. 4'29" 59s each way, plus change, officer.

Thought Tesco owned ESL ;-)

Didn't catch what it was, but was rewarded by the unmistakable sound of a Detroit 8V71 with straight pipes on screaming past this morning.

Ah, the joys of holidaying in the US...

Pretty sure it was an old Kenworth that was responsible for the noise...keeping my eyes and ears open for it surfacing again.

They truly do sound epic. Sad the big two strokes never caught on to the same extent in the UK...

• 2 weeks later...

Am aware of 'clutch out/downhill velocity' vs. governor.

However - logging trucks, on the A69 towards the chipboard plant @Hexham, stoically maintain 65 - up hill & down - and don't try to ripp them on long drags unless SwiftMotor :(

..... They make money by doing as many round trips as poss in a day = hmmmmm :)