Truck Shite

quicksilver

I was going to post this on the Ebay tat thread, However, I think it deserves a place in this thread...

Currently at £500..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leyland-Roadtrain-T45-Tractor-Unit-truck-Lorry-Classic-Barnfind-Restoration-/202078106420?hash=item2f0ccb3334:g:jo4AAOSw1KNZ3Qn1

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It also comes with a spare cab... Sorry for taking this off topic by posting this.

It's fun fair time again and with that comes truck shite of course.

This thing is immortal. It's been turning up every year without fail for at least the last two decades. Bonus Merc coupe too.

post-5267-0-23198700-1507922965_thumb.jpg

Never noticed this unusual badge on it before. The Super Trailblazer was a bus chassis built primarily for Africa but there are a few in Malta too.

post-5267-0-46369400-1507922964_thumb.jpg

This gets scruffier every year. It'll need a repaint soon as there won't be any paint left on the cab.

post-5267-0-49094600-1507922963_thumb.jpg

Another ERF that's been running for years

post-5267-0-23109900-1507923140_thumb.jpg

Arty shot of old truck and old building

post-5267-0-95190800-1507923140_thumb.jpg

Great too see showmen still using ERF's and Foden, still see a few on the circuit down in my part of the country though Volvo's and Scania's now seem to be favoured.....

I guess you have the always beautifully turned out firm of Anderton & Rowlands down your way. There's still a few ERFs and Fodens about but their numbers are thinning out year by year. The Volvo FH and FM seem to be the in thing now but Scanias and DAFs are gaining ground too. Things just aren't the same with so many modern rides on artic trailers pulled by nondescript modern ex-lease tractor units and the proper 'showman's special' is a dying breed.

Yep....I have a feeling we are at the end of an era with showman's lorries.    Many of the rides are now Chinese built and on lease plans and it probably won't be long before the lorries are - not just ex-lease.    Its always a good day when I see proper old stuff like those in Buckingham there.

Actually, I've got a ton of old truck photos for this thread:

14774689635_1a1c5f1187_k.jpg1990s BMC Fatih. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

7113360423_6bdaf36220_k.jpg1975 Bedford TK Pantechnicon. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

6637519989_a6d99b9ebd_b.jpg1981 ERF M-Series Livestock Transporter. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

13306040285_06c88d4552_k.jpgFiat of some sort.... by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

8671968445_8df19d954e_k.jpg'1988' Morris Recovery Lorry. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

6289965004_838e975742_z.jpg1980 DAF 2300 Tow Truck 'Stagecoach South'. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Local relic still in use with Stagecoach.

6219829426_47ecac630c_b.jpg1976 Mercedes Benz L-Series. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

5743692113_ed3578c4ed_b.jpg1996 Mercedes Benz MK1820 Lorry. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Locals to Reading may know the Smelly Alley Fruit Co still use one of these, I actually got a photo of it too...somewhere

22043104821_5ae38f8d0e_k.jpg1976 Seddon Atkinson 400 Series. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

16316859324_93f2a3c0b8_k.jpg1989 Pegaso Ekus. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Yes not a truck but another for the WTF LT recycling topic

14493175047_242e3dd1b4_k.jpg1980s Mercedes Benz 813. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

10000s of these in Greece

Plenty more I haven't put on Flickr...must get round to it. 

I think I have mentioned before...

Years ago I was in a yard and the guy was making a long chassis showman's box-ontheback using an ex BOC artic/ very powerful cab.

Interesting structure... The various bits were all bolted together... However the factory chassis [originally] seemed to be riveted.

Not MOTd are they....

TS

I think I have mentioned before...

Years ago I was in a yard and the guy was making a long chassis showman's box-ontheback using an ex BOC artic/ very powerful cab.

Interesting structure... The various bits were all bolted together... However the factory chassis [originally] seemed to be riveted.

Not MOTd are they....

TS

Nope showmans class is mot exempted, in fairness most are well kept round our way

^ ????????????

So that's the old DAF 95 cab on a Seddon Atkinson?

Someone please fill in the blanks

Top photos btw.

It's the Cabtec cab, shared by the DAF 95, Sed Atki Strato and Pegaso Troner. Later Stratos built after the Iveco takeover have the same cab as the Iveco EuroTech.

I'm pretty sure that in the late 90s/early 00's, 'Smith's of Scotter' used to run the fleet on Dutch number plates, even though they are just outside of Scunthorpe...

Can't blame them, IIRC VED for my then 38 tonner, 2 axle unit, 3 axle trailer peaking at about £3200 around 1983.

My boss bought and issued to me a 3 axle twin steer sed ack in 84 which reduced the VED to about £1500, still a high amount, though he'd taxed it so i could stil pull 2 axle trailers @ 38 ton, it might have been cheaper still had he taxed it for 6 axles only.

Lot cheaper VED now, but maybe too low, 44 ton lorries with 2 fixed axles on the 3 axle tractor unit and 3 fixed axles on the trailer are literally ripping the roads to shreds.

How and why did the propaganda that 38 then 44 ton lorries on 6 axles would do less damage to the roads than 4 @ 32 ton, another load of bollocks swallowed wholesale.

How and why did the propaganda that 38 then 44 ton lorries on 6 axles would do less damage to the roads than 4 @ 32 ton, another load of bollocks swallowed wholesale.

I remember 'Radius Gauge Cracking' on the railways... because Stobart + TESCO Co2... no kitten was safe... railways will be brought to a StandStill!... [/daily fail]

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ffe.12432/abstract

what happened... ?

TS

Why too low? I thought it was meant to be revenue neutral with HGV levy factored in.

Because its cheaper than some cars are now paying, VED is just another revenue and has no bearing on road useage or damage, have you seen the state of roundabouts in particular but also the inside lanes of dual carriageways on routes used by the heaviest lorries, the roads are crushed and the surface ripped off turn surfaces in a matter of months.

We really can't go on like this, though i don't know what the acceptable answer is, the country is vastly overpopulated and servicing this constantly increasing population has meant massive increases in lorry movements, this exacerbated because we no longer have the regional and local factories that used to service a locality within reason, no room for local industry any more between the retail parks warehouse monstrosities and housing for the good little consumers which keep the former ever expanding buying cheap shit clothes and plastic tat that will last 5 minutes then be thrown and replaced starting the next lot of movements.

We import far too much hence the main ports and chunnell and routes to/from are now bottlenecks, far too much stuff passes through, en route to warehouses...warehouses being our one growth industry.

The railways can't possibly cope, rail and road should have been integrated 30 or more years ago along the lines of Freightliner, with fast efficient hubs where containers could be transhipped onto rail for the long haul, we simply don't have the room now and the costs would break the country, which already has a national debt it can't possibly service added to every year by the defecit.

The road miles travelled by most goods are now ridiculous, the infrastructure designed for a population around 25% less than current and we're busy papering over the cracks with hare brained schemes like so called smart motorways, in other words we've run out of road space so hard shoulder running is the sticking plaster idea, which will semi work for a while till they've finished the smart motorway work by which time the population will have risen more than that extra road space can possibly provide for.

The rail does its bit, there are some good container routes, but where they do a good job is shifting aggregates from the outlying pits into that london where its used to build more houses shops offices etc,  perpetuating the need for more of the same.

Someone with a big set of bollocks is going to have to stand up one day and say stop, and mean it.