Truck Shite

quicksilver

The FH cab was still a 'baby' when it was replaced, being used for 'only' 20 years from 93 to 13 but other cabs are still going. Ivecos cab came out on the Cargo in 1991, Scanias P cab in 1996 and Daf's 65/75/85 cab in 1993. The Cabtech is 30 years old this year would you believe it!

Aye, you could never accuse Paccar of wasting money developing cabs!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

My neighbour was showing me a picture on his phone yesterday of his family company's 52-plate FH12, which they've just had done up at significant cost (£6K for all new alloy wheels and tyres :shock: ) and grafted on the front end from a newer FH - to my inexpert eyes it looked like a 12-plate motor, only it has a proper gearbox and isn't suffocated by as much Euro-emissions bollocks as a new one.  Probably isn't LEZbianised, but they never go to London anyway.

My Volvo is still being painted so the Daf chugs on. Tonight we are down at Helston in Cornwall having brought this Cavcraft favourite down:

post-3736-0-77379900-1488232294_thumb.jpg

I was told it hadn't run for a while - turns out it hadn't been touched since the Olympics! It's like brand new inside, although someone had helped themselves to the batteries and diesel during its prolonged rest. It's off now, having my daily rest and then off to drop the Fergie and on to pick a forage harvester up.

Right I saw this on one of the eleventy hundered lorry Facebook groups that I started following at the end of last year. Some of the older posters have said that under things like the centre cap on the steering wheel, there was written things such as "now put it back" or "nosey bastard".

Anyone else heard of this?

Fitters are weird* so I wouldn't be surprised. I know one tyre fitter who chalks "It's burst" inside new tyres once in a while.

*In their defence, repeated blows to the head, days on Monster and rollies, and working out what the twat in the driver's seat has done wrong, at 2am by the M74 in subzero temps can't help.

Right I saw this on one of the eleventy hundered lorry Facebook groups that I started following at the end of last year. Some of the older posters have said that under things like the centre cap on the steering wheel, there was written things such as "now put it back" or "nosey bastard".

Anyone else heard of this?

That's a product of waiting time boredom, you get it in taxis too. If you're stuck in the cab for a while you end up taking things to bits, and from there it's a short step to leaving notes for the next bored person.

In a slightly similar vein I once worked in a haulier's office wherein a very shouty manager spent most of the day yelling at drivers down the phone.   When he went out for a long business lunch one of us (not me) unscrewed the mouthpiece of his phone and put a tailor-made roundel of thick cardboard over the microphone inside.  On the cardboard was written "Speak Up".

I've had some good wheezes with phones, the odd times I've worked in offices, but not strictly relevant, so...

One thing I did do, one time, was scrawl "due to bad weather, flash and honk if overtaking" on the back doors of a trailer I was swapping with a mate. I left him to go from Dalkeith to Washington and back to Fife like that. All on A-roads in shitty weather, with people looking to overtake...

Thankfully he saw the funny side.

Hope that keeps it vaguely O/T...

Whoever was unlucky enough to have bought the shagged out Mk2 Transit I drove for ATS may have found a note in the steering wheel centre telling them they'd been had off.

I heard a V8 making its way up the hill past Skiach Services today and was surprised to see it was a Daf, the V8 sound was backed up by a pair of twin stacks. Is a V8 Daf a thing?

On a similar note a few years ago I travelled back from Lerwick on the freight ferry with some Dutch truckers, one of whom was driving what appeared to be a MAN V8, is that a thing?

Daf V8 - not that I know of. Not even a history of V8s, they prefer a straight-6. However, twin stacks on a S6 can get pressure pulses going on that sound similar.

The MAN V8 was/is a thing. Built to supercede the V10, it was a high spec special in limited numbers. Really it's a heavy haulage/plant/marine engine, and most MAN buyers don't want 680bhp! They didn't even win the power war: Scanny and Volvo were still ahead.

Edit for vid.

Tonight we are down at Helston in Cornwall having brought this Cavcraft favourite down:

I think I must have passed you going the other way.  Either that or there were two black puddle jumpers getting a piggy-back south the other day.

Would like to see more pictures of what you get on your low-loader; looks more interesting than what I do anyway.

Is it possible to swap engines in a lorry nowadays or would that cause Confusion and Delay in the various electronic systems? The Daf would have been around ten years old I think.

Up until about the mid noughties, it would be possible. But Daf's predilection for S6's is in part so they can make straight chassis rails for strength. So they're not as wide as a Scanny or older Actros under the cab. They briefly factory fitted the 525bhp 14L Cummins in the late nineties due to issues with their own engine.

Any newer gen motors from about 2004-5 on are a potential nightmare for engine swaps due to CANBUS etc.

I think I must have passed you going the other way. Either that or there were two black puddle jumpers getting a piggy-back south the other day.

Would like to see more pictures of what you get on your low-loader; looks more interesting than what I do anyway.

Lots of knarly farm kit usually as that's our business, but now we've got a full O licence it should hopefully be anything goes. Here's my back load. I love my (British built) trailer and the supa-easy outriggers and timbers that don't give you a hernia lifting them on.post-3736-0-97793500-1488392616_thumb.jpg

I'm off to Scotland tomorrow, will get some pics to bore you with