To Middlesbrough in an Aldi and Back in an OPel.

New POD

So Cadged a lift from Derby to John's house near Middlesbrough, in a Black A6, at an average speed of 69.8 mph, and having shared tips on tax avoidance (mine - pay lots into your pension, his - spend it and forget you have to pay tax, until your accountant reminds you how much you owe and then panic)   

Said Barge was almost as described, apart from the grabbing brakes which makes braking at 80 a bit scarey.

So I felt obliged to buy it.

John took a photo

post-17612-0-54004500-1475181556_thumb.jpg

I then drove back to Derby at an average speed of 67 mph, (I had the cruise set at 70 mph exactly and an average 31.2 Mpg.

Phoned wife, and she seems to think that a car that "cheap" which really needs a new door must be a scrapper.

Do I remove the 3.2 badge before she sees it ?

Nice one POD!  That is a nice looking Omega.

Remove 3.2 badge, cos sleeper innit!

There is an Omega just like this but in a lighter blue on the drive of a posh house down the road, looks seriously fit and would if it ever came up for sale. Not because I need two cars but I just would love to try it for size, and bomb around in it for a abit.

Yes, yes, yes!

I love Omegas. Brodfather is on his 4th one right now (a 3.2 Elite) and is simply superb. Such was the impact of the green, pre facelift, Elite he got when I was very young, whenever I have to draw a quick picture of a car, it always seems to bear a resemblance to it.

The one car I have promised myself that I will someday buy is one of these in Elite or MV6 flavour, so well done on living the dream and can we please have more pictures?

I was thinking of replacing it with an OPEL badge that came off an Ascona A/B.  I know it's a Vauxhall, but hey.

What you need is a Caddy grille.post-17414-0-92163800-1475230821_thumb.jpeg

I like Omegas now, I think they got off to a shaky start because the Senator was so well loved. That and their traditional middle manager company car market almost dissapearing overnight( killed by the bugeye Scorp?) and everyone, including the Police, it seems, having to have prestige* badges.

In fact the last petrol engined car I had for work was a black M reg 2.0 16v CD , I never bonded with it somehow , even though it was great on fuel and I kept it for about a year in 97/98 , its sort of faded away ,in my mind, from my car history.

( Oh, I like the Irmscher grille. Sorry I is chav)

women rarely are. just enjoy the car!

Wife is happy. 

Because

1) I made the dent look less bad by a little trickery with 2 small sockets, and some leverage of the door, so it has moved back and is not touching the front door, and the window is no longer seized into place, and because I had some green polish for the MX5 which came with a crayon, and I have used it to colour where there was missing paint. - She still wants it repaired.

2) In 460 miles it did not break down. (actually I've done 780 miles since buying it now)

3) She had no significant back pain. The heated seats helped the small back pain she had. Even after 5 hours in the car yesterday she was fine (we did have a short stop)

4) I was in no pain, or discomfort (which can not be said for driving the Astra) on the way to Cardiff.

5) I was in no pain or discomfort on the way home from Cardiff

6) I am a hero because I ran 13.2 miles in 2 hrs and 23 mins.

7) I have not mentioned the small problem braking.  I will leave that a few days before I replace discs and pads with new / better.

8) She realised that 3 first class return tickets to Cardiff would cost the same as the car, and she did point out that the 2 rooms in Jury's Inn for 2 nights (one for her sister) cost more than the car.

Brakes always felt a bit odd when i had it. It stopped fine, but they just felt a bit strange

They Judder, and the car steers left.  I think new discs and pad will sort it, and a clean of the sliders, and may look at the suspension bushes (before ignoring them)

Was the dent caused by Wind catching the door ?

• 2 months later...

So far, 4500 miles completed, front wishbones, all discs and pads replaced, and now looking at front tyres and thinking, "ah the inside edge looks a bit worn"

I wonder if that was like that before or after wishbone replacement. How best to get a full alignment check before buying new tyres.

Brakes always felt a bit odd when i had it. It stopped fine, but they just felt a bit strange

They have a feature designed to NOT grab, so that the brakes are progressive, but feel spongy, unless modern hot hatches with brake switches, (on or off)

So far, 4500 miles completed, front wishbones, all discs and pads replaced, and now looking at front tyres and thinking, "ah the inside edge looks a bit worn"

I wonder if that was like that before or after wishbone replacement. How best to get a full alignment check before buying new tyres.

Should get the camber and toe (tracking) set after having wishbones changed. We use to set hem with a little less Neg. Camber to give the tyres a better chance of surviving.

Should get the camber and toe (tracking) set after having wishbones changed. We use to set hem with a little less Neg. Camber to give the tyres a better chance of surviving.

According the OoF (Omega Owners Forum) Front tyres will need replacing BEFORE a full re-alignment is done by some block in Bolton called Nick.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=138116.0

Excessive camber on the front wheels (leaning in at the top) is the usual cause of inner edge wear on Omegas.

Insist on having it set to 1deg 10sec, no more no less. If you get fobbed off by being told that it isn't adjustable or that it is already within the manufacturers limits then walk away and save your money.

Before you do anything are you certain the front bushes in the bones were torqued with the wheels on the ground

I have conned my Mother in Law in buying me a years membership of http://www.autobahnstormers.org.uk/  but after a couple of posts I'm pretty sure that they are a bit Cliquey, and it might not be the place for me. Still Vauxhall Trade club card is on it's way.

Well bought sir, possibly the newest car I would actually own.   Glad wife is coming round - pretty soon she will think it was her idea.

She's very much glad I bought it. Although I've not discussed the fuel consumption with her. I think she knows.

She refuses to drive it. 

I'm not sure if that's due to the size or the autobox, or both.

She's used to a BINI and an MX5 with manual gears.

According the OoF (Omega Owners Forum) Front tyres will need replacing BEFORE a full re-alignment is done by some block in Bolton called Nick.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=138116.0

I have conned my Mother in Law in buying me a years membership of http://www.autobahnstormers.org.uk/  but after a couple of posts I'm pretty sure that they are a bit Cliquey, and it might not be the place for me. Still Vauxhall Trade club card is on it's way.

That will be Nigel Lang's place in Bolton, I took my beloved 3.0 there many years ago and sceptically spent a fair few quid to get it set up properly, new wishbones etc. It was like a different car when he'd finished ! If your bones were knackered they will have been responsible for the inner edge wear.  

So the plan is to buy a second set of wheels on Thursday, order some winter tyres, and get them fitted, take them and car to Nigels, or somewhere similar next week, and have alignments set with all new tyres fitted.

Just got the decide which 235/45/17 winter tyres I can actually afford.

• 2 months later...

Second time I've changed the oil today. This time with GM's 5w/30 fully synthetic (As suggested by lookers parts man)

I bought enough to service the omega twice and the BINI once. (It needs the same spec)

Also took the plastic scuttle off and sealed it with black mastic. Trying to stop water dripping on the coil pack.

Noticed that the wiper mechanism is VERY worn, so will probably regret sealing the scuttle into place, at a later date.  

Also : Can't see the cause of the oil leak.

And since I got it, I've now done 10K.  Rear tyres will need replacing soon.