Jump to content

Great number plates - got any?


outlaw118

Recommended Posts

I suspect that this belongs to the family of a former neighbour.  His wife has a Porsche with a similar registration and he had an XF with Owl in his reg too, I imagine that this belongs to the son, considering how it is 'parked'.

They had an aviary with owls and other raptors.

IMG_20240109_153318249.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, myglaren said:

I suspect that this belongs to the family of a former neighbour.  His wife has a Porsche with a similar registration and he had an XF with Owl in his reg too, I imagine that this belongs to the son, considering how it is 'parked'.

They had an aviary with owls and other raptors.

IMG_20240109_153318249.jpg

Oddly a guy just around the corner from me has an owl reg but he’s got Sheffield Wednesday stickers in his rear window, so that explains him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK number plate nerds - arguing with an internet stranger about this plate - he says it's UK, I say there are no Qs used except on the suffix type given to kit cars

FB_IMG_1705231812807.thumb.jpg.1c01e76bb006aa15abf4d9e4933b9b76.jpg

I wondered if it was Irish but drawn a blank - aren't there some African plates that look like UK ones?

Taken outside The Savoy hotel in central London on 16th October 1959, leopard belonged to Billy Smart's circus 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Sham said:

I've only ever seen Q prefix plates, Q123 ABC.

As far as I know, that's not a valid UK plate...

A quick Google suggests it might be from Luxembourg.

I'm now pretty convinced - two letters and four numbers, with QJ being a valid letter combination.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Luxembourg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

The seller has muddled up import and export. QT (and the rest of the sequences except QI and QZ which are Irish issues) are for temporarily imported vehicles all the way from 1921 to 1998. QT is 1976-81 according to the book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

London Issue temporary import number plates

 

they possibly existed in reverse format, by way of this number plate, which is a 1982-1989 Tucker computer font plate

image.thumb.png.7482e7dd8c731ae211bb0d9788333e02.png

but they are a bit an enigma, interestingly the DVLA still make mention of them 

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports#:~:text=You must get temporary Q,registered in its home country

but I dont know what format they are these days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bunglebus said:

OK number plate nerds - arguing with an internet stranger about this plate - he says it's UK, I say there are no Qs used except on the suffix type given to kit cars

FB_IMG_1705231812807.thumb.jpg.1c01e76bb006aa15abf4d9e4933b9b76.jpg

I wondered if it was Irish but drawn a blank - aren't there some African plates that look like UK ones?

Taken outside The Savoy hotel in central London on 16th October 1959, leopard belonged to Billy Smart's circus 

Sorry just realised the tuckers plates where posted in relation to this, yeah thats a British Temporary import plate :) 

sounds like @Blunderguts might be able to tell you when it was issued roughly :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Sorry just realised the tuckers plates where posted in relation to this, yeah thats a British Temporary import plate :) 

sounds like @Blunderguts might be able to tell you when it was issued roughly :) 

QJ is 1957-60

Anyone curious as to where an old reg number was issued needs this book on their shelf. Bottom of page 119 covers the Q temp plates. Anything with an I or a Z in it is Irish issue. Anything with an S in it is Scottish issue. Wales did not get anything with a W in it though!

image.thumb.jpeg.227c8d01dfc25c50d512d29c7c97463d.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WA05 STE on a skip lorry on the M5 somewhere near Bristol on Monday - I think there were two or three in convoy from the same company but this is the only one I remember.

70 NER (correctly spaced, too) on a Toyota C-HR near Kegworth, also on Monday - presumably a photocopier salesman

KIA 2 on a series 3 Allegro in a garage somewhere near Lincoln - I bet that would be worth something to a certain Korean manufacturer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...