Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

Odd one today seen on a Hyundai SUV (sorry, no photo as on the bike). Not the exact reg, but my memory thinks it was:

116191 569 65

All numbers, no letters and actual plate was black digits on a yellow background on the rear. Did not see the front plate (I must get some mirrors). Nothing on the plate or car to indicate which country it was from. I suspect it was from Morocco or Algeria, but cannot find any info on 11 digit plates to confirm it.

3 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Odd one today seen on a Hyundai SUV (sorry, no photo as on the bike). Not the exact reg, but my memory thinks it was:

116191 569 65

All numbers, no letters and actual plate was black digits on a yellow background on the rear. Did not see the front plate (I must get some mirrors). Nothing on the plate or car to indicate which country it was from. I suspect it was from Morocco or Algeria, but cannot find any info on 11 digit plates to confirm it.

Not Morocco, not sure they would be allowed here anyway as they contain non-latin characters. Iranian plates are also in the Arabic alphabet and they wear export plates abroad, maybe there's some international law saying only numbers and the Latin alphabet is allowed. Russian plates are clever as whilst they technically are in Cyrillic, they only allow the characters that also exist in our alphabet (but don't necessarily mean the same thing!). Mongolian plates use some of the Cyrillic characters that look like gibberish to us. Fun facts!

1 hour ago, willswitchengage said:

Not Morocco, not sure they would be allowed here anyway as they contain non-latin characters. Iranian plates are also in the Arabic alphabet and they wear export plates abroad, maybe there's some international law saying only numbers and the Latin alphabet is allowed. Russian plates are clever as whilst they technically are in Cyrillic, they only allow the characters that also exist in our alphabet (but don't necessarily mean the same thing!). Mongolian plates use some of the Cyrillic characters that look like gibberish to us. Fun facts!

I'm in Spain, hence my thinking it was from North Africa, as its only a 9km ferry trip. I didn't even consider the Latin characters aspect. 

Spanish plates do not (now) contain vowels. All are four numbers followed by three letters.

In Belgium you can buy a personal plate, but you also have to have a normal registration registered to your car so that it can be linked to your personal one. No reason as to why though.

11 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I'm in Spain, hence my thinking it was from North Africa, as its only a 9km ferry trip. I didn't even consider the Latin characters aspect. 

Spanish plates do not (now) contain vowels. All are four numbers followed by three letters.

In Belgium you can buy a personal plate, but you also have to have a normal registration registered to your car so that it can be linked to your personal one. No reason as to why though.

In the UK, your car will always have its own registration plate and I've never heard of it being given to another. So when you want your private plate back, you write to DVLA who then tell you to use the old one.

So wise friends, if you ever buy a private plate, don't throw away the old one. Put it back on when you sell the car 😃

14 hours ago, mintwth said:

Untaxed. Had its first MOT late and failed it. 

Why am I not surprised? 

What gets me is that if they get pulled by the Police, the DVLA could literally scrap it, particularly if they've got previous (which you know they almost certainly have).

19 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

116191 569 65

Could be Algeria - 

image.thumb.png.eef66874be9e867614d62f461f605463.png

The last two numbers are the 'Wilya' (province) the vehicle was registered in, but these only go as far as 58... Embassy plates also end in two digits (representing the country) but they are much shorter, the example below is for an Italian embassy vehicle -

image.png.849cf60a8d33b4aa715cf54cced77ec8.png

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/world/AF_ALGE.html#GI

I'm not aware of any rules about foreign plates characters having to be in Latin script, but I guess most countries will use these characters for ease. I have definitely seen long distance HGV's with Arabic script number plates in the UK.

7 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

In the UK, your car will always have its own registration plate and I've never heard of it being given to another. So when you want your private plate back, you write to DVLA who then tell you to use the old one.

So wise friends, if you ever buy a private plate, don't throw away the old one. Put it back on when you sell the car 😃

Not always the case - I bought a brand new car (one and only time) and had my private plate put on before delivery, however the dealer seemingly assigned it a normal plate first before transferring on my private one. When I came to sell it on I though I'd save a bit of time and got new plates made up with the originally assigned plate before I got the paperwork back so I'd be ready to fit them right away. But when the paperwork came back the DVLA had assigned it a completely different number so the plates I had ready were a complete waste of money!