Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

3 hours ago, anonymous user said:

Saw a hearse today bearing the registration 1 RV

I thought it was a fake Rolls Royce as it looked hideous. The front wasn't too bad, but the rear bit was an inflated blob. I checked on DVLA, apparently it is real built in 2020.

Similar to this? Given, I think it looks okay and good to see Rolls-Royces still being used.

Rolls-Royce - Phantom H-VII image

2 hours ago, DSdriver said:

Rolls Royce no longer look classy, just nouveau riche

Or should that be very nouvea riche given they start at a £250k?

Actually, if money were no object I am happy to admit the Rolls-Royce Wraith would be top of my car shopping list. I think the are majestically OTT.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:04 PM, gm said:

spotted in the north east, of course :) 

IMG_4930.thumb.JPG.3d02f2b2245867e13b07f80610738df1.JPG 

Speaking of "Y1"-series plates, I'm fairly sure someone out there has "Y1FFY" on retention.

I've also stumbled across a plate which has significance for anyone in science/medical peer-reviewing, and wondering if I should invest....

On 2/26/2021 at 10:39 AM, The_Equalizer said:

These number and single letter combinations can go for big money. Just looks at the DVLA auctions. It strikes me as odd. We know two/three letters are of interest because they form people's initials. But a single letter? Answers on an e-postcard ...

At the very very beginning of issuing reg numbers, in 1903, single letters were used, followed by up to 4 numbers. The letters were issued alphabetically dependent on population size of the county  - A for London, B for Lancs, C West Riding of  Yorkshire and D for.... Kent. Once the single letter combos filled up they started the 2 letter system, which was fairly soon afterwards (after the first world war)

According to the t'internet 'D' was on the books for Kent from 1903 to 1963! You would have thought all the D's would have been used up by the time those Rileys roamed the road.

21 minutes ago, martc said:

At the very very beginning of issuing reg numbers, in 1903 single letters were used, followed by up to 4 numbers. The letters were issued alphabetically dependent on population size of the county  - A for London, B for Lancs, C West Riding of  Yorkshire and D for.... Kent. Once the single letter combos filled up they started the 2 letter system, which was fairly soon afterwards (after the first world war)

According to the t'internet 'D' was on the books for Kent from 1903 to 1963! You would have thought all the D's would have been used up by the time those Rileys roamed the road.

single and 2 letter 4 number registrations where also issued in reverse format by some counties as they ran out of 3 letter 3 number combinations

some counties issued the 4 number and 1 letter or 2 letter registration plates first before moving onto reverse 3 number 3 letter plates

(the first reverse numberplate being 1000E in fact) 

while other counties issued 3 number 3 letter plates first before finally issuing 4 digit 1 or 2 letter plates as a last ditch effort before switching to Suffix plates

Dxxxx was Kent issued from Dec 1903 to June 1914, 

and xxxxD was issued from July 1964 onwards (and may have also been used as an age related plate series until the mid 1970's more research is still needed on that tho)

18 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

and xxxxD was issued from July 1964 onwards (and may have also been used as an age related plate series until the mid 1970's more research is still needed on that tho)

On 2/26/2021 at 10:39 AM, The_Equalizer said:

These number and single letter combinations can go for big money. Just looks at the DVLA auctions. It strikes me as odd. We know two/three letters are of interest because they form people's initials. But a single letter? Answers on an e-postcard ...

Which would make the Riley 1.5 pictured (No = xxxD)  quite a late one as they stopped making them in '65.  Why did they start re-issuing xxxxD in 1964 when the ABC123A system started in Feb  '63?

On 08/03/2021 at 12:19, martc said:

Which would make the Riley 1.5 pictured (No = xxxD)  quite a late one as they stopped making them in '65.  Why did they start re-issuing xxxxD in 1964 when the ABC123A system started in Feb  '63?

well xxxxD is not technically a re-issue, it had never been issued before then

but as for why when suffix plates where introduced in 63,

Suffix plates where not made mandatory until the 1st of Janurary 1965

so a lot of County councils just kept issuing all the non suffix plates they had, until they finally ran out or just decided to change

but only a few counties actually ran out and Issued A Suffix's most finally either ran out or just switched because they felt like it during B suffix and some just kept going until they had they where forced to switch to suffix registrations starting with C suffix

and some remote scottish locations never even ran out of their original  2 digit 4 letter allocation they got given in 1904 and kept issuing those until 1964!

Bute County council had only made it to SJ2860! before being jumping onto the Suffix system!