Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

On 22/12/2020 at 20:16, Jerzy Woking said:

I've not seen a single Spanish humorous plate. Probably unlikely as all plates here are randomly generated and issued with four numbers followed by three letters.

Spanish plates are randomly generated and assigned to the car. But there was some buzz some years ago when #### HDP plates started being issued (HDP meaning Hijo de P*ta)

Edited by OM646
Wording

That Micra, I'll bet that that plate has been in the family for decades. It's amazing how often you see obviously very expensive plates on very ordinary cars.

I like to see it, it means the owner values what they have over what they can get for it.

That's excellent.  The car has been doing a steady 2/3k since mot records began so I'm guessing the same owner has had it long term and just used it as an honest form of transport, no delusions of grandeur there.

Quite the opposite to a misspelled/ illegally spaced/ wrong font/ screws in a funny place WAYNE plate on a rented double cab pickup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 09:39, Sham said:

That Micra, I'll bet that that plate has been in the family for decades. It's amazing how often you see obviously very expensive plates on very ordinary cars.

I like to see it, it means the owner values what they have over what they can get for it.

The last time I saw an Edwardian plate was something like 30 years ago on a Renault 9. The plate was X 8 which is now on a 2.3l diesel Fiat.

AAA 1 is also round these parts.

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I know I'm wearing glasses, but isn't that a spectacle lift on the back end? Vehicle 1: on the bed, 2: tow

So it is, it's so neatly tucked under that I didn't even notice it. Things must have moved on since the days of the big spec lifts sticking up out of the back that I remember.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, Sham said:

I know someone very well who, when in young in the 1960s, went to look at a Riley which was priced at £40.  Supposedly it was £20 for the car and £20 for the plate which was three characters and a one. Even in those days such notable number plates had some value. During the test drive the owner managed to go round a bend, putting the car into a hedge and bending the wing. The owner then said he could have the car and plate for £20 which was duly excepted.  The person still has this number plate, which, in theory is worth a chunk of cash, but he doesn't need the money so he just has it on an old classic of his.

1 hour ago, The_Equalizer said:

I know someone very well who, when in young in the 1960s, went to look at a Riley which was priced at £40.  Supposedly it was £20 for the car and £20 for the plate which was three characters and a one. Even in those days such notable number plates had some value. During the test drive the owner managed to go round a bend, putting the car into a hedge and bending the wing. The owner then said he could have the car and plate for £20 which was duly excepted.  The person still has this number plate, which, in theory is worth a chunk of cash, but he doesn't need the money so he just has it on an old classic of his.

Me and  friend bought a Riley 1.5 for £50 to do autotests in. Had some fun then scrapped the car and sold the reg for £50. I still have the original front plate inside the lid of my tool chest. It was three numbers and letter D. I used to see the reg about on various cars. It is now on a Mclaren.

Riley 1.5

29 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

Me and  friend bought a Riley 1.5 for £50 to do autotests in. Had some fun then scrapped the car and sold the reg for £50. I still have the original front plate inside the lid of my tool chest. It was three numbers and letter D. I used to see the reg about on various cars. It is now on a Mclaren.

Riley 1.5

These number and single letter combinations can go for big money. Just looks at the DVLA auctions. It strikes me as odd. We know two/three letters are of interest because they form people's initials. But a single letter? Answers on an e-postcard ...