Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

Not sure if there's a 'Shit number plates, got any?' thread, so will dump this here, taken by a rear seat passenger leaning over:

Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree and outdoor

It reads NO.1  7ASH complete with the full stop after the O.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:19 PM, Andrew353w said:

I don't know if this qualifies as a great number plate, but it's a coincidence of staggering weirdness.... 

My first Skoda, a 1992 Favorit 136LS, was bought new from my local Skoda dealer, Welham Green Cars, except it wasn't quite new. Although it had only 12 miles on the clock when I picked it up, the dealer explained that, as they'd sold so many new cars in the last few months, Skoda gave them a number of cars for them to sell for what they could get for them & my Skoda was one of these cars. £4995.00 for an effectively brand-new car suited me at the time. The only "catch" was that the car was pre-registered by Skoda themselves, at their King's Lynn distribution centre, so it bore a Norfolk registration number,  J 284 EVG. 

Now, here's the weird bit.... in the early 1990s I was moon-lighting for a driving agency, taking any work I was offered and one job was to collect a new Lada Niva estate from one dealer & deliver it to another one quite some distance away. The Lada Niva, again a pre-registered car, bore the number J284 BVG. This is one I'll never forget & I will remember this as one of the weirdest co-incidences I've ever come across!  

Similar thing happened to me once.

SWMBO’s sadly-departed Hyundai was registered AO06 GLV. I happened to park up in my town’s car park one afternoon and directly in front of me was a Sprinter van. I had to do a treble-take as the van bore the registration of AU06 GLV. I think the lads in the van were doing the same thing as we both gave each other very confused looks....

On 12/20/2020 at 6:45 PM, Lord Sterling said:

This is what constitutes as a private/cherished plate in Belguim:

20201211_165427.thumb.jpg.38ff080919e37e7c19a00c86d1437af6.jpg

Seemingly you can use just letters. I did spot a Belgian private-plate on a car on a UK motorway a couple of years ago. 

I think this is a recent thing. Way back when, "private/cherished plates" were just a random selection of less numbers and letters.

I've not seen a single Spanish humorous plate. Probably unlikely as all plates here are randomly generated and issued with four numbers followed by three letters.

22 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I've not seen a single Spanish humorous plate. Probably unlikely as all plates here are randomly generated and issued with four numbers followed by three letters.

But a chap I used to know called Colin Jones said he couldn't work out why people in Spain sniggered when they saw his name written as C A Jones until it was explained to him.

4 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

I saw MI55 ECP.

Then I thought, what if there was a Miss Eurocarparts? She'd have an arm missing, 12 fingers on the other hand. She'd be a ginger scouse with a hairy back... But, it would be a cheap date.

Allegedly, someone from the Wrexham depot took a part round to the house of someone very high up in the company's daughter. And then had to go back later with the right one.

37 minutes ago, Rusty Pelican said:

No longer on the DVLA but im surprised it was ever issued in the first place

133769876_4113765291985208_9025338988678161680_n.jpg

Actually on Retention last on a Mercedes ML270 so the VRM does survive somewhere amusingly LOL!, unless the DVLA manually withdrew it

(but im not sure I have heard of the DVLA manually withdrawing an already issue plate?, only example I can think of is the BFxxxx series) 

Actually on Retention last on a Mercedes ML270 so the VRM does survive somewhere amusingly LOL!, unless the DVLA manually withdrew it
(but im not sure I have heard of the DVLA manually withdrawing an already issue plate?, only example I can think of is the BFxxxx series) 

Used to belong to ex motorcycle racer and mate of Barry Sheene one Steve Parrish, I’m fairly sure he had it on quite a few cars, but the DVLA got a bit annoyed about it being out there, so may have withdrawn it, I remember reading something about him arguing with them.

cf584bd1d8fede0bdcf39d086b8a2c93.jpg

Steve Parrish purchased it from Fiona Richmond, a former star of grumble pamphlets.

It is on retention, and a few registration sellers have it on their listings. DVLA can withdraw issued numbers if they later consider them to be offensive, or they have been displayed incorrectly and reported to them by police. Between 2015 and 22 May 2020, the DVLA rescinded 109 number plates

DVLA won't be issuing what they consider asdrug related, such as GA20 NJA and SM20 ACK. Seem stupid to me as they arent exactly spelt out.

Not so much a great plate as a curious one seen last week. A local UK company but S9-1-RVB sure isn't a UK plate. The blue band says NL but the format, font and colour are all wrong for a normal Dutch plate and I can't find any reference to temporary export/transit plates in this form. Any ideas?

S9-1-RVB [NL] - Skylift

I've got a few I've seen on my travels.

One that sticks in my mind and must belong to a snooker player or Barry Hearne I saw in Milton Keynes was either 147 CUE or CUE 147. (It was a couple of years ago!).

A lecturer at college had a Mini with the reg ORG 169.

A guy near me has MAD 4 1T.

Eastern Western Holdings (a car deal group based in Edinburgh) have EA 57 ERN and WE 57 ERN on 2 of their cars.

On 1/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, quicksilver said:

Not so much a great plate as a curious one seen last week. A local UK company but S9-1-RVB sure isn't a UK plate. The blue band says NL but the format, font and colour are all wrong for a normal Dutch plate and I can't find any reference to temporary export/transit plates in this form. Any ideas?

Don't think it's a Dutch transit plate - it doesn't match the following definition (translated ) - 

Transit or transit registration plate - The transit registration plate is for vehicles subject to registration that do not have or have had a Dutch registration plate and are therefore allowed to drive by road through all countries - in Europe and worldwide. The number plate is white with black inscription. The licence plate consists of 1 number followed by 2 letters followed by a combination of 3 numbers and / or letters. The transit registration plate is valid up to 14 days after issue of the registration plate.

Dutch plates beginning with S are either from Saba, a Dutch possession in the Caribbean

image.png.80c58fd39dc3377371b5b068f709c287.png

Or, again translated, Vehicles that have to drive to the place of investigation for (registration) investigation. The meaning of this seems, literally, to be lost in translation but I suspect it's something to do with inspecting and registering one off vehicles (like the DVLA do with kit cars). Perhaps this lorry was bespoke and needed a special inspection, but the plate would be in this format (with an S, not an F).

image.png.9c6c13feed24c99ae90c8c7749902b45.png

Also, from the tax/MOT checker...

image.png.7d16817d0a3ed8e24a5795493d9374d1.png

4 hours ago, martc said:

Don't think it's a Dutch transit plate - it doesn't match the following definition (translated ) - 

Transit or transit registration plate - The transit registration plate is for vehicles subject to registration that do not have or have had a Dutch registration plate and are therefore allowed to drive by road through all countries - in Europe and worldwide. The number plate is white with black inscription. The licence plate consists of 1 number followed by 2 letters followed by a combination of 3 numbers and / or letters. The transit registration plate is valid up to 14 days after issue of the registration plate.

Dutch plates beginning with S are either from Saba, a Dutch possession in the Caribbean

image.png.80c58fd39dc3377371b5b068f709c287.png

Or, again translated, Vehicles that have to drive to the place of investigation for (registration) investigation. The meaning of this seems, literally, to be lost in translation but I suspect it's something to do with inspecting and registering one off vehicles (like the DVLA do with kit cars). Perhaps this lorry was bespoke and needed a special inspection, but the plate would be in this format (with an S, not an F).

image.png.9c6c13feed24c99ae90c8c7749902b45.png

Also, from the tax/MOT checker...

image.png.7d16817d0a3ed8e24a5795493d9374d1.png

Some good detective work there, thanks. I reckon it's most likely an 'inspection' plate as that lorry has bespoke bodywork so it's likely to need whatever the Dutch equivalent of SVA might be. It's plausible that they ran out of S-12-34 plates and changed to S-12-ABC format but the font and layout are still weird so maybe it's a Dutch reg on plates made outside the Netherlands. I guess the only way to find out is to ask the operator.