Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Three Speed said:

No photo but I saw CSK209 on 2012 C-Max today. So what? My Traction Avant was allocated CSK318 when it was imported in 1985 and I understood that series was strictly for age related use and non-transferable to modern motors. Is this not so?

suffix-less age related plates issued to new registrations (ie not replacing an existing registration mark on an already registered vehicle) where transferable for a time, but today they are non transferable as you say

im not sure when they made new registration, suffix-less plates non transferable as well, but it is how quite a few age related plates ended up as private plates

I THINK even age related replacement suffixes plates where transferable for a short while but people where abusing that so they quickly got made non transferable, but as above new registrations remained transferable for a while longer before also being made non transferable

I don't know if this qualifies as a great number plate, but it's a coincidence of staggering weirdness.... 

My first Skoda, a 1992 Favorit 136LS, was bought new from my local Skoda dealer, Welham Green Cars, except it wasn't quite new. Although it had only 12 miles on the clock when I picked it up, the dealer explained that, as they'd sold so many new cars in the last few months, Skoda gave them a number of cars for them to sell for what they could get for them & my Skoda was one of these cars. £4995.00 for an effectively brand-new car suited me at the time. The only "catch" was that the car was pre-registered by Skoda themselves, at their King's Lynn distribution centre, so it bore a Norfolk registration number,  J 284 EVG. 

Now, here's the weird bit.... in the early 1990s I was moon-lighting for a driving agency, taking any work I was offered and one job was to collect a new Lada Niva estate from one dealer & deliver it to another one quite some distance away. The Lada Niva, again a pre-registered car, bore the number J284 BVG. This is one I'll never forget & I will remember this as one of the weirdest co-incidences I've ever come across!  

2 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

@Nev - a great find!  Who knew that there would be an ideal numberplate? Fortunately for @Six-cylinder,  I enjoy motoring incognito... it would be hard to be an International Woman of Mystery on the road if my forum name were to be on my car! 🙂

Even better would be MRS 6C. You could put that on anything post-1965 so almost anything in the collection, but which one would you choose? It's not on a vehicle and has probably never been issued.

The DVLA plate selling site is a surefire time waster and far cheaper than commercial sites. I've actually bought a couple of their cheaper plates after a couple of sherbets and never actually transferred them onto anything. Good thing is you can retain them up to ten years for future use.

On 12/9/2020 at 11:03 PM, mitsisigma01 said:

If I was to purchase a private plate on retention off an ebay seller, what would be the cost of transferring it to one of my vehicles and what should I be aware of with the seller, I have seen a dvla retention form in his name.... 

Anybody transferred a plate from a private seller... Any potential for problems....