Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

6 hours ago, martc said:

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question...

Yesterday I saw a black Jeep Cherokee (2014 - 2019 version), RHD, yellow plates at the back white at the front just like normal except the number was (if I remember correctly)  DH100AF. There was no spacing but the numbers and letters where clearly not faffed about with. The chap driving it was of a military bearing but wearing civvies.

Is this an armed forces vehicle? I know recent 'army' numbers are in the format  AB12CD which replaced the traditional 12AB34 but have they extended the digits in the middle to 3? If not what is it?

I've been racking my brains (and google!) about this and it is unusual. The format wouldn't fit any of the UK (inc diplomatic), Isle of Man or Channel Island plates. I have seen a couple of USAF Ford vans with UK style plates (colour, shape, typeface etc.) with obviously American formats, so potentially it was a car from a US base that they'd bought here? 

Otherwise, it's a mystery ? 

17 hours ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

I've been racking my brains (and google!) about this and it is unusual. The format wouldn't fit any of the UK (inc diplomatic), Isle of Man or Channel Island plates. I have seen a couple of USAF Ford vans with UK style plates (colour, shape, typeface etc.) with obviously American formats, so potentially it was a car from a US base that they'd bought here? 

Otherwise, it's a mystery ? 

Thanks for your efforts.

I've had a look at various foreign systems and I wonder if my spot was French?

France and Italy have similar reg number systems now. Italy started with AA 111 AA in 1994. And France started with AA....AA in 2009. I think the French just use up all the combinations of AA...AA before moving on to what....? AB or BA next? Will they be on to DH by now (or at least in 2019 as that is the last year of this type of Cherokee)?

In France the front plates are white, the back yellow like ours but of course the style is completely different - incorporating issuing departments emblem/number and the EU country designator. I suppose there are circumstances where a Frenchman might need to get plates made in the UK (my spot was definitely UK style plates); but it was a RHD car...

The mystery continues.

22 minutes ago, martc said:

....In France the front plates are white, the back yellow like ours but of course the style is completely different - incorporating issuing departments emblem/number and the EU country designator. I suppose there are circumstances where a Frenchman might need to get plates made in the UK (my spot was definitely UK style plates); but it was a RHD car...

The mystery continues.

The French used white front / yellow rear mainly between 1993 and 2007.

The current AA-xxx-AA format since 2009 imposes white plates front and rear.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

There's a really good plate which probably only those involved in scientific and medical research would understand. Wonder if I should invest* in it....

Only if "Invest" means never getting your money back at all for the plate.

I have N999 MCR  (Nurse - 999 - my initials) means fook all to anyone else I would imagine and doubt I would find anyone willing to part with £250 for it that I paid. I expect my lad will "inherit" it at some point