Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

• 2 weeks later...

Only one I can offer was on a Lada Samara I had a good few years back, that I never even noticed until someone at college mentioned it.  R48 RSE.

We did have one school bus for a while that was TKS 666T, which somewhat appropriately caught fire one day...I can't vouch for the validity of the story, but apparently one of our regular drivers was a superstitious type and flatly refused to drive that one on account of the reg number.

• 2 weeks later...

I do like to see absurdly valuable plates on vehicles worth far less and here's a great example. The owner reckons it's worth £20-30k but he'll never sell it as its sentimental value outweighs its financial value. The 2004 Foden Alpha it's attached to on the other hand is probably worth less than 10 grand.

37782026332_ba2938f13b_c.jpg

76 JB - John Brixton by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Saw W333 YAM on the little R125 Yamaha pocket racer thing in Morrison's last night, with an L plate hanging under it. I was so busy pondering why the absolute fuck anyone would bother, I forgot to take a pic. Check on the database though I suppose. Unless it's hooky. Which, being Kirkcaldy it might be...

Edit: I recall many laughs when Pollock's broke with the traditional 'PSL' plates a few years back, and purchased 'PO10OCK'. In what universe was that even an idea, far less a good one?

Most of these go right over my head :(  Why is "76 JB" worth anything at all?

Saw an Audi a few days ago with (?) 666 HEL  (can't remember the first character)

Most of the interesting ones are seen on my way home from work and forgotten by the time I get home - five minutes later :(

May have mentioned previously but the only one I can remember, from about a year ago but have seen it a few times since is YE55JES on a red Panda.

The number '76 JB' was bought at one of the DVLA's auctions for £9000 (plus their quite hefty charges) in 2007:

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/search/previous-auction-plates.html?plate=jb&searched=true&x=0&y=0&start=70

So all in about £15K in today's money. 

I do love to see plates on vehicles where the former is worth considerably more than the latter. That 'T4' example is great. According to the MoT history checker the Honda it's on has over 163K miles on it too. Totally two fingers up.

Edit: I recall many laughs when Pollock's broke with the traditional 'PSL' plates a few years back, and purchased 'PO10OCK'. In what universe was that even an idea, far less a good one?

Just spotted PO10CCK on a Polo in Edinburgh the night. Whoever owns PO11OCK is sitting on a sizeable bag of coins...