What Banger to drive to southern Spain for £500?

jaycey001

Is fuel economy needed?If not, a cheap LS400...

I know you said about needing it to be small to drive down narrow roads, they can be a bit tricky for that but it can be done! (do it often). They are near enough bombproof mechanical wise and can transport everything & everyone in the utmost of comfort! Parts? Can be interesting price wise, some parts are cheap because Toyota. (I'll leave it at that). 

More a car for the drive down rather than when there, but worth a punt...  :mrgreen:

+1000 on the aircon, having lived over there for many years and having taken UK RHD cars over a few times aircon is a must, be aware that putting a UK car onto ES plates is not always that straightforward and can be expensive and not worth the hassle, also most UK insurance policies only cover you for 30 days per trip, you can get 365 day cover but it isn't cheap either.

A pug 306 estate with AC would be my choice, only because I had a couple that went to and from Alicante 5 or 6 times a year, or something like a mk6 fiesta 1.4 petrol with ac

Cheap LHD cars are no more unfortunately, have a look at www.coches.net or segundomano if you want an eye opener, prime shite which you can buy for £500 over here does not exist at all, cars are bloody expensive in Spain, take for example the mk1 Focus, over here you'd get a decent one for £600, in Spain they start at around twice that for a reasonable example https://www.milanuncios.com/ford-focus-de-segunda-mano-en-madrid/?hasta=2000&demanda=n

Thanks for replies, it got me thinking abit about maybe getting a slightly larger car rather than competing with the "first car" buyers.  You get allot more for your money with a larger engine and a bigger car. 

I will have a better look at older peugeot estates (although maybe slightly too big for the parking space) My Landrover 90 almost filled it and that isnt a long car. 

As has been said cars are very expensive in Spain and I dont mind driving on the wrong side, especially for what the car will be used for - local trips and no motorway work once there. 

I do have a 2000 reg Corolla but decided against taking it due to size and the gearbox is getting a bit crunchy,. Also while a japanese car would be my usual choice I noticed in the towns around the house in Spain that there were virtually no jap cars hence thinking french would be better.... 

I will keep looking and let you all know what I ended up with.... Likely something that doesn't meet any of my needs nor fit down any of the roads there :) 

Oh 1 last thing, the garage local to me has a 1999 fiesta for sale, what are they like reliability wise? I found out I can get cheapish LHD headlights for it and the certificate of EU conformity (to register in Spain) is relatively cheap.

Thanks again!

James 

Got to agree with Beko , that 406 would be perfect.

In a similar vein, an early Eurovan would be cheap and a very useful thing to have out there ,I'd have thought. Ferrying visitors to airports etc. The Paellamunchers seem quite keen on them too, so no problems getting lhd lights .

Has Messerschmitt still got his Combinato or whatever it is , for sale ?

This was in ebay tat a while ago

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/seat-marbella-fiat-panda-type-/321940339607

Hence I thought old left hand drive, foreign registered cars were cheap. Kick myself for not having a punt on it and doing the same - drive it down to Spain and leave it at my gaff there.

We will be selling MrsR's Berlingo once we have found it's replacement, a bus had a light intereaction with the rear quarter panel, which whilst ugly has done nothing to prevent it being used daily.

It's the 2.0hdi with glass roof and overhead storage, fairly recent MOT and solid all around, it'd be a bit more than your budget and is dependant on the new one we've seen not being a complete shed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i ended up with a 2000 reg Micra won on ebay for £255. Its got 58k on the clock and I spent today giving it a full service (why is the oil filter in such a  pig of a place??) 

the engine oil was not nice, but am hoping no major damage has been done to the chain - drove back 90 odd miles and it ran perfectly so fingers crossed it will transport me and family to Spain without too many issues! 

Underneath is surprisingly solid, not even any surface rust on wishbones or suspension mountings but body work is a bit rough and a few cracks on trim inside... But once in Spain im sure it will pick up quite a few more battle scars! 

Thanks for advice, and when im driving through Spain with no aircon, 1 window that doesnt open and 2 kids in the car I will really wish I had of listened to you all and brought something bigger and faster :) 

get a Picasso, loads of them knocking about everywhere

all picassos of the affordable range in my area were ex mobility cars,owned by cat piss stinkys called rita or sandra,with 6" of fag ash on the carpet,buckled wheels and fucked clutches,surely not all like that,but its how i remember them,but im in stoke so normal.