Crossover / SUV advice

dieselnutjob

A friend of mine really needs to start looking for a replacement vehicle.

His old Seat Toledo has intergalactic mileage and is difficult for his wife to get in and out of.

She has reduced mobility which is gradually getting worse.

With a high up vehicle she can kind of reverse her bum straight onto the seat and doesn't have to struggle with the drop or climb out.

The other requirement is low door sill height on the inside. She struggles to lift her feet out of a footwell if the door aperture has a high edge on it. For example she loved my old 96 Passat because the floor is virtually level with the sill whereas Mondeos from that era are a total disaster.

A good diesel engine is essential due to the huge mileage that they do and a bit of poke for the motorway and I guess 7 to 10 years old to make it affordable.

She seemed to manage alright with SWMBOs Freelander but they don't really need a full blown 4x4, just the high seating, and they are a bit slow. Their Toledo is a 140bhp TDI so a bit of a flying machine...

Any ideas?

As well as the seat height to match the bum and flat floor things, the length of the door is important for swinging painfull or stiff legs in. This makes some 2 door models much easier to access than their 4 door version.

Since Mrs Me had new top-link ball joints fitted, comfort & access has been top priority so we bought a 3 door Grand Vitara because it got full marks for access, has reasonable seats and has enough room under the dash for the passenger's feet. Would be a bit too high for the short of leg and is a bit, er, odd to drive. I like it, though it is really only a two seater.

If they like the way the 140bhp Toledo goes, we've got a 2008 Touran with the same motor - originally bought because Cat struggles with her pelvis sometimes and liked the way you step up and into it. Everything else about it should be reasonably similar as it's on the Golf platform.

Nissan X-trail,available in 2.0 and 2.5 petrol and 2.0 or 2.2 diesel forms.

Manual or auto.2 wheel drive or 4x4. base spec s,se all the way to the all singing tekna.

When Mrs V8 (who is 41) hurt her back thrown from a horse our x-trail was the only car she could easly get in and out of.

Nissan X-trail,available in 2.0 and 2.5 petrol and 2.0 or 2.2 diesel forms.

Manual or auto.2 wheel drive or 4x4. base spec s,se all the way to the all singing tekna.

When Mrs V8 (who is 41) hurt her back thrown from a horse our x-trail was the only car she could easly get in and out of.

You mean a first gen one?

My boss has one.

I hadn't thought of these.

You mean a first gen one?

My boss has one.

I hadn't thought of these.

Posted Today, 05:54 PM

The T30 is the first gen from 2001-2007.we had a 2004 2.0 se petrol 4x4 it had the 138bhp-ish nissan engine .The diesel in these are the 2.2-113 bhp di nissan engine ( i think) to the 136bhp dci renault engine.

The 2nd gen is the T31,2007-2014 ours is a 2010 2.0 dci man with 173 bhp renault unit,the auto is down graded to 150 bhp.We get around 35-40 mpg around the doors and into 50's on a run.

Short runs will cause dpf problems but if dealt with straight away by a run down the A1 in our case clears quickly in around 13 miles. I was told a story from a dealer of someone ignoring the dpf light,and the engine going into limp mode.Having to do a forced regen with a brick on the accelarator pedal.

I personally think the T30 is a better put together car,the newer car has to many rubber suspension bushes.not that we have had many problems with ours.

Both cars do like to go through front discs and pads.

We have spoken about replacing our with a T32 2014-onwards but we need to have a flat floor with the rear seat folded,the T32 carn't do that so unsure what we replace it with.

Posted Today, 05:54 PM

The T30 is the first gen from 2001-2007.we had a 2004 2.0 se petrol 4x4 it had the 138bhp-ish nissan engine .The diesel in these are the 2.2-113 bhp di nissan engine ( i think) to the 136bhp dci renault engine.

The 2nd gen is the T31,2007-2014 ours is a 2010 2.0 dci man with 173 bhp renault unit,the auto is down graded to 150 bhp.We get around 35-40 mpg around the doors and into 50's on a run.

Short runs will cause dpf problems but if dealt with straight away by a run down the A1 in our case clears quickly in around 13 miles. I was told a story from a dealer of someone ignoring the dpf light,and the engine going into limp mode.Having to do a forced regen with a brick on the accelarator pedal.

I personally think the T30 is a better put together car,the newer car has to many rubber suspension bushes.not that we have had many problems with ours.

Both cars do like to go through front discs and pads.

We have spoken about replacing our with a T32 2014-onwards but we need to have a flat floor with the rear seat folded,the T32 carn't do that so unsure what we replace it with.

negative its the yd22 nissan donk

the later engine (mr/m9) is the joint renner/nissan one but i think it owes more to nissan than renner