Dollywobbler's Honda S-MX - Provisionally sold

dollywobbler

More tinkerings.

DXniKOqW0AEGn4Q.jpg

Sadly, to no avail. Swapped the new caliper in, which had a nice, free-moving piston, but there's still a chirruping sound when I'm driving along. I'm wondering if the hub face has some crud on it, so the disc isn't quite sitting flush. It's bloody irritating. There are no witness marks that I can see, definitely nothing on the surface of either pad. I've been for a 15-mile drive, and it's still doing it. BAH.

Also, it now clunks when I apply the brakes going backwards. It never used to do that.

Are the top and bottom pad shims ok and present ?

Ref the clunking - I’ve had to use high temp silicone to stick the pads to the caliper piston and the two lugs before to stop this on hondas. Some pads now come with sticky backs .

The other noise - not the back plate rubbing is it ?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an idiot. You knew that already. The squeak was driving me mad, so I had the nearside caliper off the Honda last Wednesday. With the disc off, I noticed a very slight scuff on the backing plate, under the hub of the disc. I carefully adjusted the backing plate slightly with a hammer, refitted it all and the next day, set off on a 120-mile drive. I noticed that the horrible clonking seemed to have disappeared from the nearside. Hmmm. 

However, the clonking was very much worse on the offside. Ah. By this stage, I was pretty convinced it was the caliper carrier bolts. The kit I'd used had new bolts, and they hadn't seemed awfully keen on being done up tight. I decided to investigate at the first opportunity. I was loaned tools by SNG Barratt.

DY4_yirW0AANeKk.jpg

Esteemed company or what? Sure enough, I could wiggle the caliper in a way that shouldn't be possible. But, the bolts just wouldn't tighten up enough. So, we raided the stores for some chunky washers. Fitted them under the bolt heads, job's a good'un! Horrible rattle gone.

I do think it's time to consider moving this one on though. Yes, always the way just after splashing a load of cash on it! If anyone fancies some oddball JDM action, then let me know. I may even get around to sorting the roof paint if you're lucky.

Posted a video about the Honda on YouTube, and now someone has 'reported me' for dangerous brakes. I 'should not' be using spacers or washers according to this great sage. Sounds like guff to me. After all, you can buy caliper spacer kits for a load of cars to enable you to fit bigger brakes (not what I've done here, they're the same size, just a slightly different offset). It's true I'm no engineer (had you noticed?) but I'm a bit of a loss with this one.

Posted a video about the Honda on YouTube, and now someone has 'reported me' for dangerous brakes. I 'should not' be using spacers or washers according to this great sage. Sounds like guff to me. After all, you can buy caliper spacer kits for a load of cars to enable you to fit bigger brakes (not what I've done here, they're the same size, just a slightly different offset). It's true I'm no engineer (had you noticed?) but I'm a bit of a loss with this one.

What are the consequences? Demonetised? Banned for a bit? It's one of those things where you will always get someone who has an extreme opinion and the internet (in places) allows them some small platform to propound their views and get a response.

Edit to add: If any of us were to try hard enough, we could find something "wrong" with 99.9% of the cars on the road.

The only issues I can think of from adding spacers to a caliper carrier would be the carrier hitting the brake disc (noisy) or brake pads not seating correctly into carrier and then onto brake disc(you would see it). The caliper itself 'floats' anyway to provide equal braking pressure to both sides and will not be effected by your washer spacing mod.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The spacers came with the discs, to deliberately adjust the centring of the disc within the caliper (as the offset is slightly different). I've added further washers under the bolt head because the bolts that came with the kit seem to be a few mm too long. That shouldn't affect the caliper position at all.

Frankly, there is part of me wishing I'd just stumped up for genuine discs and pads. I think it would have been a lot less hassle.

The spacers came with the discs, to deliberately adjust the centring of the disc within the caliper (as the offset is slightly different). I've added further washers under the bolt head because the bolts that came with the kit seem to be a few mm too long. That shouldn't affect the caliper position at all.

Frankly, there is part of me wishing I'd just stumped up for genuine discs and pads. I think it would have been a lot less hassle.

Let haters hate or something to that effect.

In the motorcycle world it is normal practice for all sorts of shimming, bracketery and the like to make calipers fit different bikes.

My ZZR1100 has 4 pot calipers, it's a common mod to fit 6 pot GSXR calipers. They use smaller mounting bolts so the accepted solution is either inserts in the fork leg OR shouldered bolts which are 10mm for the fork leg and 8mm at the caliper..... And with shims to space the new calipers out accordingly.

It's completely accepted practice, no nuns or kittens die if it's done to a good standard and MOT testers across the land don't blink and eye.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I think I may have let one detractor get to me a bit much. I guess I do take comments seriously (and to be fair, 99.9% of my comments are really nice!).

YouTube has some odd angry people lurking. I posted up a video my friend took of me towing a caravan with the XM and got this:

7824e92d75f3a92f6745bc47d9dd9ec2.jpg

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

YouTube comments are often written by people with no sense of proportion.Just look at the tree felling videos.33% say "good job".33% are total nitpickers, usually from what sounds like a position of complete ignorance.The next 33% say "why did you cut down that lovely tree,it did you no harm".This to professional lumberjacks.That leaves the 1% who issue random death threats.