Internet detectives wanted - find reg from VIN

Dave_Q

Hi all, 

In a manouevre inspired by Cavcraft purchasing dept: 2 wheel division, I've just bought a shit old moped for <£50.

Naturally it's in bits and has no V5 or number plate, or any clue what the number plate was.

No it's (probably) not stolen.

All I have to go on is the VIN/chassis number which is ZAPC1900000029682.

It's a Piaggio Typhoon 50 of around 96-03 vintage.

Any ideas on how to find out what the reg is from the VIN so I can send off a V62?

Thanks.

How does all this work then?? My Francis Lombardi is a UK car, but has no paperwork or numberplates. From the VIN, I have a letter from Fiat UK telling me it was built in October 1968, but they have no idea what the reg would have been...

Ultimately, all information comes from the DVLA and any system you use to get a VRN or VIN will refer back to the same source.  Stuff that has been 'off the record' for many years generally comes back as unrecognised; your only option then is to jump through the DVLA hoops, which is becoming increasingly difficult without some decent evidence of a vehicle's past history.

I have a relatively recent Suzuki bike (1984) that has no number plate and although the VIN is perfectly legible, Swansea will not issue the number and it will need to be re-registered.

It will be a while before the Lombardi hits the road again. I know I should* be able to get it re-registered with the DVLA when the time comes, with the history and paperwork I do have, but I was just curious as to what you'd been able to sort out in the case of Dave Q. Cheers.

Vin: if you can't find any evidence of what the old reg was then you'll need to re-register, but you should get an age related plate with the dating letter.

In my case Alex has found me the reg, and the fact it is a previous Cat C write-off.

Luckily it's not possible to reduce the bikes value to less than I paid, so that doesn't really matter.

I will make sure it runs etc then fill in a V62 to (hopefully) get a logbook.

Ultimately, all information comes from the DVLA and any system you use to get a VRN or VIN will refer back to the same source. Stuff that has been 'off the record' for many years generally comes back as unrecognised; your only option then is to jump through the DVLA hoops, which is becoming increasingly difficult without some decent evidence of a vehicle's past history.

I have a relatively recent Suzuki bike (1984) that has no number plate and although the VIN is perfectly legible, Swansea will not issue the number and it will need to be re-registered.

Have you spoken to Suzuki GB they might just might have a record of which dealer it was supplied to, Yamaha (and Kawasaki I think) can give a dealer a reg number from a frame number last one I checked that came up was an 88

PM me if you want as there are a few other things you can do if you are sure it's reg'd

Interesting thread  -  I have an extra Honda NF75  that's complete, circa 1979, but came with no

number plate, from a Poole motorcycle dealer for spares, originally.  It's too good to break!

The dealer could not assist, but it wasn't a Honda dealer mind...