U can haz cheep Jags - 4 sayle p3

richardthestag

Spotted a 2000 Jaguar XJ8 Sovereign last week in a forecourt with £1495 emblazoned across the screen

Found it was a 4 litre 1t68k on the clock with all the toys, despite massive searching the only fault were;

non functioning drivers side arse warmer

minor surface rust on the o/s/r wheel arch

dropped headlining held up with glittery pins

I ask what service history? but it cannot be found.

Return a week later, "you found that history yet, else I may make an insulting offer"

"what like!" relies dealer.

" well no history = spare parts price so 650-700"

Hmmmmmmph exclaims graham the dealer. I Left details

1h later ok defo no history but I will take 700 for it not warranty

Job is a good un! Pick it up on Monday

Planning for New chains and tensioners unless they are metal when I get the cam covers off and a fluid change

WCPGW

I had a pact with myself, that I would own a V8 before I was 30 years old. That was accomplished last year with Mason the LS400.

At the time of this purchase, I noted a number of year 2000/2001 Jaguar S-Type V8s on Autotrader which were around £1000 with months of MOT left rather than minutes. I opted for the LS400 as it was a 'safer' option.

Saying all that, I have to admit that the itch hasn't 100% been scratched. While I don't think a V8 is a necessity, I reckon owning a Jaaaaaaag before my 32nd birthday (in two years time) is probably the next 'pact' I am going to make.

I have even looked into the possibility of making one a daily driver. A 2005 S-Type with the 2.5V6 engine seems like the best combination of power/waft, manual 'box, RWD and given that the S-Types got more reliable with age, there might be a degree of feasibility with this plan.

I had a pact with myself, that I would own a V8 before I was 30 years old. That was accomplished last year with Mason the LS400.

At the time of this purchase, I noted a number of year 2000/2001 Jaguar S-Type V8s on Autotrader which were around £1000 with months of MOT left rather than minutes. I opted for the LS400 as it was a 'safer' option.

Saying all that, I have to admit that the itch hasn't 100% been scratched. While I don't think a V8 is a necessity, I reckon owning a Jaaaaaaag before my 32nd birthday (in two years time) is probably the next 'pact' I am going to make.

I have even looked into the possibility of making one a daily driver. A 2005 S-Type with the 2.5V6 engine seems like the best combination of power/waft, manual 'box, RWD and given that the S-Types got more reliable with age, there might be a degree of feasibility with this plan.

What you need is a nice 2001 3l manual S-Type with low miles. I'd recommend bargain basement spec so there's less to go wrong...

What you need is a nice 2001 3l manual S-Type with low miles. I'd recommend bargain basement spec so there's less to go wrong...

See, the 2.5 comes in a basic cloth spec with no other designation other than '2.5'. It's to the base spec Sierra what glamping is to camping...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

See, the 2.5 comes in a basic cloth spec with no other designation other than '2.5'. It's to the base spec Sierra what glamping is to camping...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Was the 2.5 available in 2001? I think apart from metallic paint mine is as basic as you can get. Popular without the Plus.

Pick up day is today :D

I am in High Wycombeshite so Fathathestag is doing the honours.I think he has been getting the itch for this one ;)

Pics to follow

Mrs thestag doesn't know about this one yet.... oops

The idea is to give it an MOT test at the local station - he is a thorough little bugger - then assess the situation. Main worries are the grenade big ticket items like chain tensioners and gearbox fluid change as we have no idea when last done. Then a good going over to sort surface corrosion on the underbody.

Then decide whether to sell it on for Pro£itz or use it. It is the third running v8 in the collection (Stag and Range Rover Classic daily driver) alongside 2 further range rover classics under restoration (50% shareholder with fathathestag who also has a running v8 range rover eek). 

With all the dashing up and down the motorways between N Devon and wycombeshite I have found that the Range Rover and Stag cost pretty much the same in fuel £38 each way, LPG for Rangie and S Unleaded for the stag. Rumours are that the Jag would be about the same when not Audi bothering. Way cheaper that Great Western and Taxis at each end. 

Cant wait to waft  8)

MoT history which follows for those interested. is not too horrific considering it spent the last year living by the seaside, oh and it being a 16 year old Jaaaag. First owner was Jaguar, second was a well heeled chap in posh bit of Lunnon, third owner bought it 10 months ago - i think from auction.

Over all it has the feel of a well looked after car, even the screw pins holding up the headlining are diamante effect :D

• Vehicle makeJAGUAR
  • Vehicle modelXJ8
  • Date first used24 November 2000
  • Fuel typePetrol
  • ColourBlue

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date28 November 2015
  • Expiry date27 November 2016
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading163,482 miles
  • MOT test number6850 3823 3134
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    nearside front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Front inner arches corroded
  • Test date16 November 2015
  • Test ResultFail
  • Odometer reading163,481 miles
  • MOT test number4878 6137 9546
  • Reason(s) for failure
    offside rear Brake pipe excessively corroded Into flexi (3.6.B.2c)
    nearside Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)
    offside Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)
    nearside front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    offside front Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded floor pan (5.2.6)
    nearside front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Front inner arches corroded
  • Test date21 March 2014
  • Test ResultFail
  • Odometer reading163,063 miles
  • MOT test number8097 4028 4079
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Front Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)
    Offside Front Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)
    Nearside Inner Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering (6.1.A.1)
    Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
    Nearside Front Brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)
    Offside Front Brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)
    Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Front Anti-roll bar rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Anti-roll bar rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • Test date14 March 2013
  • Expiry date27 March 2014
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading152,138 miles
  • MOT test number7756 7367 3007
    Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Inner Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Inner Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Nail in offside rear tyre
  • Test date26 March 2012
  • Expiry date27 March 2013
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading143,271 miles
  • MOT test number4498 3628 2097
    Nearside Front Anti-roll bar has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
  • Test date28 March 2011
  • Expiry date27 March 2012
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading130,895 miles
  • MOT test number4098 0798 1011
    Nearside Front Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
  • Test date22 March 2010
  • Expiry date21 March 2011
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading117,617 miles
  • MOT test number1145 6138 0074
    Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Test date22 March 2010
  • Test ResultFail
  • Odometer reading117,617 miles
  • MOT test number1807 0118 0413
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Headlamp aim too high (1. 8)
    Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Test date20 March 2009
  • Expiry date19 March 2010
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading104,936 miles
  • MOT test number8840 7987 9026
  • Test date13 December 2007
  • Expiry date12 December 2008
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading92,285 miles
  • MOT test number7228 4784 7395
    Nail in nearside rear tyre
  • Test date17 March 2007
  • Expiry date21 March 2008
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading82,952 miles
  • MOT test number1046 3697 7478
    Front brake disc slightly scored (3.5.1h)
    front tyre worn on inner edges.
  • Test date13 November 2006
  • Expiry date16 November 2007
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading78,355 miles
  • MOT test number3208 2711 6332
  • Test date22 March 2006
  • Expiry date21 March 2007
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading73,201 miles
  • MOT test number2111 6198 6049
  • Test date17 November 2005
  • Expiry date16 November 2006
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading69,562 miles
  • MOT test number9024 6172 5358

Wonder what went on there then.

Nice Jaaag.

Ben

found 2nd owner had it from 6 months old to 14ish. Looks like a couple of fails and niggly issues and he chopped it in against a new XJ #guess.

Next owner picked it up Nov 15 we think through Auction but it covered 400 miles on its way to the mot test :-P

Top buyage!

I had no idea these later xj models had such a different interior to the earlier (x300) models, despite how similar they look externally. My 95 model seems pure xj40 from the drivers seat.

Edit- except the gopping late xj40 airbag wheel has been ditched

The X300 shares much more with the late XJ40 than it does with the X308. The '40 and '300 are very similar under the skin - a great many  mechanical and bodywork parts are interchangeable. The suspension is identical to the late XJ40, though can be fitted with firmer springs depending on the model. The X300 is essentially a facelifted and mildly re-engineered XJ40. The interior is slightly different but looks very similar and shares quite a number of components.

The X308 has quite a few differences to the body and suspension from the XJ40 and X300 - it isn't just the engine/transmission/driveline/subframe differences and a different interior and electrical system.

I agree with you about the late XJ40 steering wheel - it is truly grim!

In its defence, it is no worse than other airbags of the same type - early Mercedes and BMW airbags are just as ugly. The X300's is FAR nicer - it is quite an attractive steering wheel. By the time it was made, technology had moved on to the electronically triggered airbags which are much more attractive than the mechanically triggered stand-alone airbag used in the XJ40 and others.

The X300 shares much more with the late XJ40 than it does with the X308. The '40 and '300 are very similar under the skin - a great many  mechanical and bodywork parts are interchangeable. The suspension is identical to the late XJ40, though can be fitted with firmer springs depending on the model. The X300 is essentially a facelifted and mildly re-engineered XJ40. The interior is slightly different but looks very similar and shares quite a number of components.

I learned this by accident-I always fancied an X300 but by chance ended up with a nice very late XJ40 which was such a nice car for very little money I know see little point in having an X300. 

I could of course be temtped to an XJR though...