collectioning later

messerschmitt owner

first of all I have to get the wife up and out of bed as she's driving her car back.

She doesn't want to get up ...

So I've bribed her with lunch!

No trains, buses, tubes, planes or ferries - just taking the pug for a decent run. There may be pictures....

She's pretty nice. Good points - goes like stink, clutch feels good, air con works. Windows go up and down, dealer mats in front, goes like stink, handles well, not too rusty, stereo works, goes like stink, lights work, tyres are alright, it's clean, goes like stink ...

Bad points, gearbox notchy, electric mirror switch doesn't work, something indeterminate on the steering wheel making it a tad sticky.

I think her owner will like her.

Steering wheel sticking could well be the universal joint at the bottom of the steering column. Had that seize up on a fiesta years ago. Made the steering heavy and it wouldn't self right after cornering.

I think he means something is on the steering wheel, making it sticky to the touch?

They do that, My Puma did, loads on the forum did too, is it the fake leather stuff that's only on certain parts of the wheel? I rubbed mine off over 3 years of sitting in it at lunchtime having a rolly, was much better then. Lighter fluid on a rag cuts through it

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95889

Was setting it on fire the best way to fix the stickness  :mrgreen:

Was the best thing I could have done to the car in the end!

I still have my metal gearknob and the ford badge from the front grille if its needed Campbell?

You can tell if its a hot or cold day by feeling the gearknob... Do the heaters go hot AND cold? Does the boot release switch work? Does the boot pop right up on its own or does it clunk, unlatch but only open a cm or 2?

It's better if it doesn't fly right open as it should, you'll/the new owner will realize this on a rainy day, the boot has to be opened VERY slowly!

The stock cd player is a prick with burnt CD's

The dash 'diagnostic' thing is fun for a few minutes http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81443

Sounds alright to me, I do hope you make full use of its handling and performance while you have it although I would like some of the tyres left if possible.  I was pleased to see it wearing a matching set of 4 Toyos, shows it has probably been looked after.  

Shame the gear change is notchy, I thought they were supposed to have a really good gearchange, maybe just needs new fluid.  

Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Massive thanks to messerschmitt owner for this, he's a proper gent with excellent taste in cars and camper vans.

Was the best thing I could have done to the car in the end!

I still have my metal gearknob and the ford badge from the front grille if its needed Campbell?

You can tell if its a hot or cold day by feeling the gearknob... Do the heaters go hot AND cold? Does the boot release switch work? Does the boot pop right up on its own or does it clunk, unlatch but only open a cm or 2?

It's better if it doesn't fly right open as it should, you'll/the new owner will realize this on a rainy day, the boot has to be opened VERY slowly!

The stock cd player is a prick with burnt CD's

The dash 'diagnostic' thing is fun for a few minutes http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81443

Metal gear knob is ok. Badge is on front. Heater goes cold and warm and air con works. Temp gauge sits resolutely at half way. The boot release switch? One on the key? It's a bit reluctant. Opens fine from the key and just ops and goes no further. You have to lift the tailgate and then it'll happily stay up. Has a 6 disc multiplayer. Haven't tested that but the speakers work ok. The main reason I didn't test that is that the local charity shops in Tewkesbury either had CDs I already owned or ones I never wanted to own under any circumstances.

Notchy is just that. Nothing wrong with it, you just feel it going into gear a little more than the pug or the dispatch. Overall though, the gear change is quite nice. I genuinely think you'll like it. I did. Came out of it thinking I'd like one of these.

From what I've been told, the boot is supposed to fling itself fully open when you push the button.

However, when it rains all the water on the tailgate runs into the lower screen seal channel bit, and if you open it too fast, the water runs off the edges, back onto itself and runs straight into the boot.

To keep the boot dry, I had to open the boot, lift it an inch and wait for the water to drain off and flow into the drain channels on the rear wings, then open it!

Many people on the puma forum either wanted to replace the struts but then decided against it, or replaced them and regretted it on occasion

I kept my phat banging sub and amp in the boot so never fixed it to keep them dry!

Oh Phil

Did you know it comes with a stack of old mot certicicates and receipts and all that jazz. Locking wheel nut key is in the glove box. Those are its original plates too.

I did not - that's a bonus, it does sound like it's been reasonably well cared-for which is a promising sign.  Its MOT history looks pretty decent.

Phil

Moved it to the parking spot of shame outside the house. She genuinely looks not bad. This is the worst of the rust. Both arches at the rear and no doubt some light sill issues too. Overall not bad. Big pile of receipts,mot and manuals. Two keys. One remote and working too plus a slave key. All tyres are matching and 1/3 worn. She's on a slight slope but I'll check oil properly on the level and add some synthetic if required. I'd say she needs a service going by the colour of the oil.

Campbell

post-4009-0-58611200-1472837845_thumb.jpeg

post-4009-0-86935600-1472837890_thumb.jpeg

post-4009-0-72519700-1472837934_thumb.jpeg

post-4009-0-78718900-1472837987_thumb.jpeg

post-4009-0-39168500-1472838020_thumb.jpeg