Citroen XM diesel for sale £250

jonathan_dyane

That is fucking lovely! I am properly jealous, which is annoying as I love the xantia...

If the water leaks out when its driving, get an assistant to rev the fuck out of it whilst you look at all the hoses, thats how I spotted where mine was leaking, as the water shot out under pressure, but was a very slow drip at idle. Then tape the fuck out of it...

Although if you can't find the leak and have to keep topping it up is the system wont/shouldn't be pressurised when hot, I could take the car off mine and fill whilst it was hot (even running on occasion) and not get scalded.

Jesus thats beautiful. Schmitt, would the hubcaps you have be 15"?

My xm holed its rear water pipe, I mummified it in self amalgamating tape and it fixed it (id bought a new pipe, but never fitted it, mine was a rubber one though)

Failing that, the water level sensor is quite long (on the 2.0tct anyway) so when it beeps at you its about half emptied the header tank. So if its just a small leak rather than emptying the block in 5 miles, just take lots of water and keep an eye on the lh display.

Mine was ok on a run with the leak, it was when accelerating it lost the most.

Costa, did you fit the new pipe yet? Or had I bought the wrong one?

£250 car works out to be over £1700 when insurance and etc are added. Still cheap but I've a CX needing my funds at the moment.

I'm oot. (Very, very reluctantly)

Someone grab this as its a real bargain.

P.s you don't have any CX bits lying around you don't want, do you? Say, like a gearbox, exhaust, windscreen or anything like that?

Thought not. GLWTS!

I've deliberately not passed the Co-op on the way home tonight, for fear of a(nother) bottle of Monte Giove or clutch of beers.

Because,

An old heating oil tank half full of filtered veg.

A set of good spheres for a Hydractive XM (think there were some for the French mkt which weren't hyperactive, for the pedants) 

Winter tyres to fit.

No fear of Cit hydraulics. Just the electronics and hidden pipework which goes with hydractive.

And an HP pump which is too new.

Trouble is, I can't justfy it - there isn't the need, and with a couple of little ones I'm actually looking out for a (pre-2001 so veg, obv) Sharan. How sad is that? 

Has this sold? Had I not just bought ( and yet to collect) a ropey jag I'd be all over this. I predict it will be sixcylinder's by the weekend.

I have been thinking about it, but the water rate loss worries me to get it home.

I have thought about if I could combine it with my trip to Cholmondeley on Sunday, not sure.

I am very busy at work so taking more time off is not really on for the next few weeks.

?????

Someone get this thing snapped up - it's the best engine/box config for an XM, along with the V6. 

Front discs and pads are on Amazon for 6.21 and 4.86 including delivery, if you buy a book (or the Valeo rad for 11.87). Wheel bearings are under £6, front and rear. It's like Amazon are trying to encourage sales of old French tat, Renaults are the best for deals.

When the next owner decides to sell, I'd love first refusal. 

Can you see/access the leaking pipe? Surely something like https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/sentinel-external-seal-x-joint---leak-sealer/?gclid=CIu18tOA8M4CFYUV0wodICMPEw could be used to get it back, if so?

Ok my current position on this:

Wife has moved from her initial stance 

"It's horrible, we only need one car, Christmas is coming up soon"

She is now saying

"If you are determined there's not gonna be much I can do to stop you. But think about it all sensibly"

In order to get to this point I have had to tell her the following facts* in response to her questions:

1) "how much?" Its cheaper than putting a towbar on the 307. We can ignore the fact I would fit the towbar myself and use Peugeot dealer pricing here - man maths......

2) "Will it not cost loads to get home?" - The horrible 7 hour ferry to Dublin is around £60 at the minute.

3) "It'll cost a fortune to run" - these are pretty frugal allegedly plus itll only be doing limited miles

3) "It'll cost you loads in insurance, tax and maintenance"

This is where it could all fall down. The insurance is remarkably cheap, £320 on a limited mileage policy. Tax shouldn't be bad and I would just pay by direct debit anyway. But maintenance.

I am a competent DIY mechanic but have never owned anything with LHM. For me to get away with it as far as she is concerned I would need to get a few months out of it before any expensive failure occurred.....And there is the water leak to consider - would be easy for me to fix but it represents a risk in terms of getting it home and selling it's magnificence to her in the process.

100 miles from Dublin stopping every 30 to top the water up won't impress her much. I could pay the extra £50 and get the Liverpool to Belfast boat and then its only 10 miles home.

because she is in Liverpool and comes home every weekend I could ask her to drive it onto the ferry and I'll meet her at the other side. This would represent the cheapest / least hassle option but the XM would need to behave very well indeed during her short stint behind the wheel

tl:dr - I have sort of permission and the man maths is almost there

Ok my current position on this:

Wife has moved from her initial stance 

"It's horrible, we only need one car, Christmas is coming up soon"

She is now saying

"If you are determined there's not gonna be much I can do to stop you. But think about it all sensibly"

In order to get to this point I have had to tell her the following facts* in response to her questions:

1) "how much?" Its cheaper than putting a towbar on the 307. We can ignore the fact I would fit the towbar myself and use Peugeot dealer pricing here - man maths......

2) "Will it not cost loads to get home?" - The horrible 7 hour ferry to Dublin is around £60 at the minute.

3) "It'll cost a fortune to run" - these are pretty frugal allegedly plus itll only be doing limited miles

3) "It'll cost you loads in insurance, tax and maintenance"

This is where it could all fall down. The insurance is remarkably cheap, £320 on a limited mileage policy. Tax shouldn't be bad and I would just pay by direct debit anyway. But maintenance.

I am a competent DIY mechanic but have never owned anything with LHM. For me to get away with it as far as she is concerned I would need to get a few months out of it before any expensive failure occurred.....And there is the water leak to consider - would be easy for me to fix but it represents a risk in terms of getting it home and selling it's magnificence to her in the process.

100 miles from Dublin stopping every 30 to top the water up won't impress her much. I could pay the extra £50 and get the Liverpool to Belfast boat and then its only 10 miles home.

because she is in Liverpool and comes home every weekend I could ask her to drive it onto the ferry and I'll meet her at the other side. This would represent the cheapest / least hassle option but the XM would need to behave very well indeed during her short stint behind the wheel

tl:dr - I have sort of permission and the man maths is almost there

TL:DR

What time is she picking it up? 

I have sort of permission and the man maths is almost there

If you convince a female that a £250 hydraulic Cit with a leaky water pipe and intermittent HP pump is needed, you deserve an award the size of an LHM fountain.

Does sound like a belting car, you'd be nuts to miss it. I think. Don't worry about the hydraulics, they'll be fine. Instead, worry about the fact that no other car to follow will ever come close with its sports car handling, remarkable composure at high speed and speed/economy/size combination.

I agree with Wobbler, LHM issues are a piece of piss usually, the worse it will do is shit a pipe and from all accounts it's fairly easy to have one made up, plus if it was going to do that it would have done it by now. Do frequent citrobatics and you should be ok, even the rear height corrector, which seems to be xantia/xm problem spot number 3 may not be as bad on a hatchback as there's more weight over the area.

Regarding liverpool - the dock, I'd maybe ask Cavcraft for some help on this, he won't care half as much about having to stop every 20 minutes and top the water up. Just send a corsa b that you've dragged out of a field where it's been standing for 15 years across on the ferry for him he'll be chuffed!

Then get the water leak fixed PDQ (a morning of dismantling and removing various boost pipes should let you see it, then either repair or replace as needed, although it may be easier to remove the whole pipe and get a new one made than find a spare, but get yourself onto club xm.co.uk, there's usually a few breakers on there. Then, once fixed, take her out for a WAFT!

I've never had a HP pump go, but drove my ZX for 8000 miles with the lower UJ fucked so proper stiff steering and it was fine*

Its almost a foregone conclusion then!

latest text from woman  - "It's really up to you x" WITH A KISS AND EVERYTHING! SHE'S HAPPY!

Just need the following clarified:

A) Will it make it to Birkenhead without shitting itself piloted by warning light ignorant wifey or do I need to fly over / do some sort of cavcraft deal? (I think I still have that Agila)

B) piloted by myself will it do 100 miles from Dublin stopping to top the water up? or should I pay the extra and get the ferry to Birkenhead?

C) Jonathan, do you accept a paypal payment or prefer cash on collection?

D) Finally - is there a rush to get this moved?

Ta very muchly

Its almost a foregone conclusion then!

latest text from woman  - "It's really up to you x" WITH A KISS AND EVERYTHING! SHE'S HAPPY!

Just need the following clarified:

A) Will it make it to Birkenhead without shitting itself piloted by warning light ignorant wifey or do I need to fly over / do some sort of cavcraft deal? (I think I still have that Agila)

Birkenhead is 3.5 miles according to google maps from 'liverpool', so if Mr Dyane brims the water up and your wife doesnt floor it and keeps the revs down it should* be ok

B) piloted by myself will it do 100 miles from Dublin stopping to top the water up? or should I pay the extra and get the ferry to Birkenhead?

If we take the 30 mile range down to 20 to be safe, that's only 5 stops. Say 2 litres at a time to be safe, just go to asda or ask Mr Dyane to put 20 litres of water in the boot, preferable in bottles or other containers

C) Jonathan, do you accept a paypal payment or prefer cash on collection?

D) Finally - is there a rush to get this moved?

Yes, we all want to see the collection thread

Ta very muchly

Plus, it's not just a warning light, if it's like my S2 it will beep rather loudly and display 'Engine Coolant Level LOW' or summat, maybe with missing pixels as they all do that sir.

Trust me, after driving it 100 miles with it beeping at you 5 or 6 times, once fixed, you'll be driving happily along and BEEP BEEP...

Fuck, what's wrong with it now, I thought I'd fixed that...

"SCREEN FLUID RESERVOIR LOW"

FFS