Citroen XM diesel for sale £250

jonathan_dyane

My thoughts :)

I am confident that the XM will easily get to Birkenhead however I can offer no guarantee! I guess you need to weigh up this against how much trouble you would be in if the plan failed... I would be more than happy to drive the car to the port for you if I'm available. However! (and this links into the when part) I will be collecting Wuv's Primera on the 24th at which point I will need to transfer the insurance off the car. Obviously I will not be driving it anywhere after this point. In an ideal world the car would be gone before then...

Exciting stuff :)

I love it when a plan comes together!

Right aiming for collection before the 24th then. Insurance quote obtained at an amazing £244 comprehensive. Its looking likely I will just fly over myself and collect, its just getting the timings right for best value flight / boat combination....

I'm just working out all the travel arrangements now, with a genius twist - I'm going to fly the kids over with me, spend the day as a family on Friday and the kids can fly home with wifey on Saturday morning while I take the car on the boat.

Looking like Saturday the 17th, or perhaps the Friday night before depending on Ferry prices. Wifey has no parking so I'll need to collect on route to the boat....

That way the car becomes a tiny aside and not the main focus of the trip. Everyone goes home happy.

I'm going to take the Birkenhead to Belfast route, my thinking is it only has to do 8 miles or so from the ferry to my house. Its all dual carriageway too so no start stop stuff.

Jonathan - if you would be so kind to fill the boot with some of those big 5ltr bottles of water you get in Tesco I'll reimburse you.

I'll PM you to sort payment and collection details probably tomorrow when I finalise all the travel stuff.

YAY!

They're usually less bother than you might imagine. There are two adjustments to the suspension which are height and firmness. You should only drive in the normal height unless you are driving through a flood or over very uneven ground and you need more ground clearance in which case you use the next click up and drive slowly and carefully! The other two height settings are low and high and are not for driving in because there is no wheel travel and the driveshafts are at an unhappy angle. 

In terms of the firmness adjuster it has two settings, normal and sport (I think). With normal the car makes use of two extra spheres as appropriate to provide a more comfortable ride but this is computer controlled and uses various sensors to determine road undulations, corners etc so it will (in micro seconds) firm the suspension for added control. The result is a car which has an excellent ride/roadholding balance. If you're going for fast driving road lots of corners you can use the sport setting which firms the ride.

Its lovely and easy tbh. Its alot less bother to change spheres than springs and shocks!

The very very basic check is put the suspension on high, and check the lhm level. Theres a floating gauge at the top of the tank, that needs to sit above the 2 red lines iirc. Everything else is as per a normal psa car.

You'll know something isn't right as you'll feel it. I'm having mild rear height corrector issues at the moment (due to my laziness to go fix it) and the back sinks down slightly when parked in normal mode, and is slow to rise back up. This makes the rear end have 'no suspension' and bounce about when driving. A quick flock up to intermediate and back sorts it. I just put her in high when parking for more than an hour, then drop it back down whilst putting my phone on the seat and lighting a rolly etc.

Traffic lights are fun, you have to try and complete a full normal-high-low-normal before they go green! Its the citroen rule!

Never drive at full low or high, as apart from the driveshaft issues mentioned, theres no suspension, and much reduced brakes and steering. The car will always keep the brakes as long as it can in case of failure, theres a sphere or two dedicated to that.

Whwn working under it, have it up on ramps or axle stands. Whwn I did 3/4 of the job on my rear corrector, I was moving it up and down by wiggling the connector pin. If it lowers onto you, you ain't raising it back up before you die...

Get onto club-xm. Co. UK and get reading! Or ask here, plenty of us lhm lockers on here.

Judging by its history though, you can probably ignore everything bar the water leak and hp pump very happily for a fair while!

Whwn fixed, and on your test hood, put the system in sport mode (is it a hydractive?) mine was bloody epic, and felt a little odd to be taking a corner at 75 and have no body roll! Mind you it wasn't bad in normal mode either.

Great stuff - I want to start as I mean to go on and keep on top of the oily bits.

I've heard people mention "citrobatics", on a car doing limited miles should the suspension be cycled occasionally?

Yes. I've never quite been sold myself on it, but with the aforementioned parking in high then dropping down that I do, she feels alot better! And its good fun too! Try and do a few each time as well. Otherwise the height correctors could seize with Road crap and youll have the (easily fixed) issue that I'm having atm with my xantia. All I need is to buy a decent 11mm flare spanner and a tin of brake cleaner and ill have the whole thing out and stripped and cleaned.