Shite Tow Cars

They_all_do_that_sir

I'm not sure this deserves its own thread, but ever since I bought our caravan (1990 Swift Corvette) I have fancied getting a period towcar for it.

Bit of googling doesn't yield much in the way of "Tow car of the year 1990", I can see the overall car of the year in 1990 was the citroen XM though which I imagine would tow well....

The caravan only weighs 750kg (or just under 1000kg fully laden according to the plate).

What would have been the weapon of choice back then?

Best tow car i ever had (car not 4x4) was a Mk4 Zodiac, which had the same rear suspension as the Granada that replaced it, so my vote would go to Granada or later Scorpio.

That Zodi pulled my banger racing trailer (all steel bloody heavy) plus Rover 90 mk3 Zodiac or whatever at a comfortable 70mph and never once developed a snake nor felt unstable.

My then boss at the time had a Granada Ghia 3 litre manual estate, the Ford A series 3 tonner i drove then went bang at Barlborough, Ted sent one of the lads up in the Granny and we towed that A series back to St Albans, on a rope,  a bloody site quicker than it would have driven under its own steam, they really don't make 'em like that any more.

bloody lucky not to encounter plod but then travelling at normal motorway speeds on a fairly lengthy rope and making it not too obvious don't suppose they would have reason to notice.

I have this as my period towing weapon, I think my caravan is around 1993 and this is 1994 so a perfect match, it is also a deal heavier than yours at 1400KG laden, but no problem at all for the mighty 24V

CCBE4775-EA31-4057-B7B0-0AA92CFFC1CD.jpg

Except when this happened, which definitely wasn't* the very first time I towed with it..

96a2cf70-f57d-4a2f-99b1-26bd83c29357.jpg

And then after a lot of faffing around this happened..

25A6E56E-0239-4430-A7BE-CC666FA1D24B.jpg

But other than that it is perfect. 

Except for a small* amount of smoke that pours through the heater vents after the first 10 miles or so of towing, from an as yet unidentified ATF leak somewhere.  But it tends to clear after that.

Sierra values seem to be getting a bit spicy for my liking. I seen this one:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C781655

But it sounds to have been a bit barried

Made for you, twin socket towbar already fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-2-3-DIESEL-EXELLENT-CONDITION-NO-MOT-DUE-TO-STORAGE-/172319858739?hash=item281f106033:g:eu0AAOSwV0RXrOPw

Early Volvo 850!

I had a phase 2 V70 with the 2.5 pez. Was the 140bhp and it could barely pull itself let alone the caravan. Was very stable once moving but was hard work and done about 10mpg.....

850 dizzler might be the ticket though after the v70 I feel like I've ticked the Volvo box. Besides I don't live in Scotland ;)

From 87 to about 93 I had a couple of different caravans and access to a lot of new or newish cars to use .

As these were company cars and I was young and stupid I wasn't worried about weight etc.

Orion 1.6i- towed 16' 1970's Bessecar surprisingly ok- looked dangerous mind.

405 1.9 GRi- same caravan - more stable but dragged its arse - had to rip off the mudflaps.

BX 1.9 TZi estate- I changed to this specifically for towing and it was shit! Never felt stable, struggled on hills, barely ever got into 5th.

Granada 2.0i , used a couple of different ones( kept the towbar off returning car and put it on various pool cars- Best Tow Car Of Ever- Hatches more stable than saloons ,don't know why - same overhang etc. Once cruised for 2 hours on the Autoroute at 90 rushing for a ferry- solid as a rock.

Range Rover Brooklands - OK, but pitching motion cause kids to get travel sick.

Rover 827 Si Fastback- loads of power- much too soft ,lots of sparks from back and smoke from font tyres.

Montego estates 2.0 Gti and Diesel Countryman- Great, almost as good as Granadas.

Cavaliers- SRis better than GL or CD due to lower gearing.

Sierras - 1.6 and 1.8 struggled- never towed with a 2.0i- should be almost as good as a Granada.