How someone ruined a Jetta:

MiniMort

Once upon a time known as July 2016 my friend sold his pride and joy: a 1991 Volkswagen Jetta. He had owned it for a year or so and had slightly restored it to make it a better model which sold for £1600. Here is a picture of the car:

post-19684-0-18859100-1472508088_thumb.jpeg

This evening, when browsing eBay he noticed his very car for sale but with a difference: it was ruined. When being sold the car the new owners promised that they wouldn't lower the suspension, therefore the car now has lowered suspension, furthermore it has a horrible plastic matte black unnecessary on the bonnet and a terrible German style number plate. Oh, and it comes with a price, too: £3300.

post-19684-0-17757200-1472508392_thumb.png

If you think this is as bad as we do then please comment on this board. Also if you are looking for a German restoration project then please try and buy it off them for a lower price and put it back to its showroom condition: it would help my mate feel much better about it.

Many thanks,

Jack (on behalf of William Bray)

Granted it looks a bit shit, but your mate sold it and that's where his intereste should have ended. I'm sure he's a bit cut up about it, but it's not his car and he's wlecome to buy it back if he wants. Playing devil's advocate one could be forgiven for thinking he's jealous because the car might be sold for a lot more then he got for it. 

I feel the entry level for ruining a car is being lowered to the extent me application of a tin and half of fiberlglass to the Dolomite's bootlid could be considered a concours restoration...

Personally I'm too attached to my cars to allow the risk of ruinage so I simply allow them to dissolve in the driveway.

Thats not too bad, was expecting it to be ratted or something. Can easily be reversed that with new springs.

Will probably go for less than he sold it for IMO. Modded cars seem to go for less as they are common and have someone elses mark on them. A good 'blank canvas' has got to be worth more shirley?

I sold my VW T2 about a year ago. Now admittedly it wasn't in fantastic condition but it was a fairly rare version so certainly ticked the individual box. Obviously it now has black and silver plates, jailbars, fake weatherworn paint and lowered suspension. It does have an MOT now though so its not all bad.

I can understand your annoyance. I found a picture of my car on the internet from when the last but one owner had it. Even though I had no connection with the car at the time and it was back to standard by the time I got it, I couldn't help feeling miffed that somebody had buggered up my car. You don't get to do that to my car, even if I haven't owned it yet.

I've learned from long experience that when selling a car you have to accept that either a) it'll be the kiss of death for it, or b)the buyer will keep it for five minutes then sell it on for twice what they paid you for it. Both options are regardless of whatever convincing bullshit yarn the buyer may spin you at the time. That's life.

I also don't get bonnet bras? Its like my mum putting runners on the carpet at home. True, the carpet never got ruined but thats only because I never saw it as it was covered by plastic runners.

especially here as the damp weather = paint blisters if left on too long

if you want to be unique in a old vw leave it stock lol....at least he hasnt fitted camber washers to it

Okay, fine I did oversell it but we are both angry that they are asking much more for what we (personally) would call an inferior product. If it was a lower price that I could afford I would buy it and put it back to what it was.

So that's the real reason then someone might actually make a profit,

Mr cav you nailed it.

It's what the next owner after the current one will do that I'd be worried about.

Yup! Currently it's all easily reversible, although lowering can do some damage to drive shafts and usually means zero suspension travel, meaning rock hard suspension, which I can't imagine does 30 year old spot welds much good.

I also don't get bonnet bras? Its like my mum putting runners on the carpet at home. True, the carpet never got ruined but thats only because I never saw it as it was covered by plastic runners.

Me neither, are they to stop stone chips? Its the bumper on my 75 that's rattled with them not the bonnet.

So that's the real reason then someone might actually make a profit

The compositional arrangement of the colourful houses in relation to the car in the first photo annoy me a little. Also the white reg plate screw head through the R.

Hey, an occasional poster said something we didn't agree with! Let's make sure and give him/her good kicking!

Yes the car has been moderately slapped with the Scene stick but there's nothing there that a mornings work couldn't eradicate. I'm always far more fearful of selling a car and seeing it right royally abused and smashed up in front of your eyes. If your selling a Vw that's over 10 years old these days it's highly likely somewhere along the line it will be hit with the lowering stick and be stickerbombed. It's for these reasons that many on here, myself included like to hoard on to our precious old chod! But I dont think the Jetta is in the firing line of the Satin black rattlecan paintjob of death quite yet!

Nobody mentioned that the new owner has added wind deflectors too.

Totally worth over £3k now.

So let me get this straight. Your mate sold a car, the buyer was a dubber mong who did the usual dubber mong things to the car. Now they're being a fucking chancer with the re-sale asking price. Remember, asking price and the price they actually sell it for are two (very, in this case) different things. The world keeps on spinning...