Ones I should have kept.....

Tonka

With me it's seeing stuff at shows that was just cheap transport back in the day but many are now seen as rare, desirable and even valuable.....you know when you could buy a half decent car with tax and test for £50, I actually bought a Hillman Hunter for a mate just so he could go on holiday with us to Weymouth, I spent £80 and got a Magnum 1800 Estate thrown in the deal, the Hillman did 500 miles and never missed a beat.... the Magnum sold in the local paper for £90 when we got back.....those were the days.... 

Top left was a 1970 Torino 500  unmarked US Police car imported into the UK at 3 years old, no power steering and originally had a 427 Cobra Jet lump in it, that was the rumour which was confirmed when the truck-like  master cylinder failed and the only one that matched was as fitted to the Cobra Jet Mustang....I owned it twice this was the first time around, when I swapped it for a 260Z 18 months later it sat on massive wheels, was jacked up at the back and had twin exhausts.       

Sadly not a 2002 turbo it was a one owner 1602 I bought in 1986 for £360, GRP bumper found in Auto Trader and a set of replica arches......bit of work with masking tape and aerosols  after I painted it white and we had stripes.....   

The Mustang 2 was swapped for the Charger and ended up in Newark, the Torino went to Sheffield...  

With me it's seeing stuff at shows that was just cheap transport back in the day but many are now seen as rare, desirable and even valuable.....you know when you could buy a half decent car with tax and test for £50, I actually bought a Hillman Hunter for a mate just so he could go on holiday with us to Weymouth, I spent £80 and got a Magnum 1800 Estate thrown in the deal, the Hillman did 500 miles and never missed a beat.... the Magnum sold in the local paper for £90 when we got back.....those were the days.... 

Out of all of those I would probably only want the beemer and the Cortina, that said years back when based up in Rosyth we bought a dirt cheap Rolls Royce funeral car (not a hearse, but the mourners car) between several of us. It was a bit juicy driving down to Plymouth and back in it, but with 8 people cost about the same as driving a sierra! Plus the kudos you got from your old man/mates when they asked what you were driving these days!

post-7547-0-89395200-1472764233_thumb.jpeg

I sold this because I was bothered about it getting bashed at Tescos and I don't have cars for 'best'. I got 2 cars and 2 shagged out lorries with the money, a clear win.  I still like the look of them though.

Came with 1.8 which had had a bit of modification- bigger carbs and mildly ported head, and it was the worse for it. Things are tight under the bonnet so in hot weather stuck in traffic, fuel vaporisation could see you stuck on the side of the road which is no way to carry on.

Ghibli/Rapide/Espada would all be in my dream garage, natch, and I'm absolutely not interested in hearing how disapointing they may be to live with.

Sorry to disappoint you, but they aren't disappointing at all, to the contrary. They are exactly what it says on the tin.

Mind you, mine were still all original back then, not molested by those vandals called "restorers".

My cars were driven, and they were driven hard. That Grifo photo is really from when I had it and you can see for yourself that it wears its battlescars with pride.

Like all my cars, it was often parked at the roadside in some city centre on a Friday evening and not moved until I had sobered up enough on Sunday afternoon.

I even took it to St. Anton going skiing, knobby rear tyres, snow chains and all.

The Rapide was bought in Leeds in 1986 for the princely sum of £3,500, a not inconsiderable amount back then, just £1,000 more would have bought you a new 1.3 Chrysler Alpine!

I then drove it home, I lived near Frankfurt at the time. It was so nice to drive, that I used it on a holiday to Rimini a few weeks later, which I needed after I got a German TÃœV on it.

My cars were thrashed around all over Europe and the ashtrays were always full with my Gauloises butts. A car is a bloody car, isn't it? That's why they made them.

Interesting was that yellow D'Ieteren 993 3.8 RSR. It was built from a customer's car, who had a rather lethal accident, using a new shell.

They left away all sound deadening, carpets, radio, etc., but tweaked the engine and fitted an adjustable wastegate, so with a turn of a knob on the dashboard,

short blasts of 1,100 OMGBHP were possible.

In Ludicrous Mode, the car was capable to exceed the speed limit on Belgian motorways in first gear. Then there were five more.

I gave me that thing for my 30th birthday.

After six weeks or so, I decided to better get rid of it, because I was convinced that if keeping it, I wouldn't celebrate my 31st. But at that point, I was still somewhat reluctant to sell it,

because I still expected that sanity would kick in once the novelty had worn off. Did it ever!

What finally made me put it up for sale in a local paper was when I disembarked from it and saw my reflection in a shop window.

Yellow Porsches in combination with the Junkman are not a pretty sight.