A moment of self doubt.

barefoot

Look, there are reasons folk buy new tat.

As much as we all love our rammle, in the end it boils down to choice - including how you spend your money.

I appear to be one of a minority on here who has tents in both camps.

I could have spent my [amount of cash spent on Leonard] on a Caterham 7, Elise or Boxster; only the latter would have been any good as a daily and the chances of me getting insured on any of those cars in the cosmopolitan* area in which I live would have had me out by thousands (and thousands) of pounds in insurance.

Throw in a couple of terrible accidents last year and you begin to get the picture.

I couldn't have insured any of my fleet for anything approaching a reasonable amount and - bar the 605 diesel - I wouldn't trust anything else I own not to break / disintegrate expensively over the 30,000 daily miles a year I drive. I'm not especially handy with the spanners and my unique finances mean I can't fuel anything particularly thirsty. Neither do I have sensitive hands, so that's the Citroen ZX banished for the rest of time.

Does this mean I'll keep the Leonard forever? No. Are all modern cars faultlessly reliable? Are they bollocks.

I did finance with the C4 but that was only because I had some money up front and the rest of the payments were set at 0% APR.

The way it is, having a modern keeps my insurance premiums lower for my toys.

Amazon: 25 mpg, piss easy to steal, would go to shit if used in all weathers. Yeah, right.

Piazza: 29 mpg, hard to get spares for, dodgy when it rains, piss easy to steal.

605 diesel: 45 mpg, easy to get engine parts for, body and trim pieces - yeah, but I'm not paying to relandscape Dean Hunter's garden.

605 V6: 18 mpg. Engine parts unobtainium for my model. Bodged alarm, piss easy to steal

nob_van: yeah, like any normal insurer would cover me on that for 30k a year.

etc, etc.

Maybe it's just a case of having manners at the end of the day: walking up to a complete stranger and telling them their car's 'shit' (or words to that effect) remains incredibly rude.

Actually, come to think of it, you'd have a job getting a 7 or an Elise S1 or 2 for £8k.

A Boxster or 944 would be do-able, certainly - I drove 3.2S example of the former last year with 100k on the clock. It was fucking lovely and well worth £7250 in my tiny mind. My insurer quickly got his wang out and pissed all over the bonfire, however, informing me in the formal equivalent of 'ROFL FUCK OFF BELL END' when I tried to get a quote. 'Massive insurance risk', 'high postcode loading' and 'LOL two crashes £5000 a year please LOL' were the memorable responses.

Mustard mitt, never encountered one of these lol, look at your car it's shit type twats, but then I guess had I been faced with that situation I like to think I'd simply burst out laughing once he said I paid £8000 for my Seat and told him he'd been robbed, good and proper and try to persuade him to buy a box of dogshit for £500 because it's the newest fad or summat.

Then again, I might have just stumbled upon my words because I guess it does catch you off guard.

Look, there are reasons folk buy new tat.

As much as we all love our rammle, in the end it boils down to choice - including how you spend your money.

I appear to be one of a minority on here who has tents in both camps.

I could have spent my [amount of cash spent on Leonard] on a Caterham 7, Elise or Boxster; only the latter would have been any good as a daily and the chances of me getting insured on any of those cars in the cosmopolitan* area in which I live would have had me out by thousands (and thousands) of pounds in insurance.

Throw in a couple of terrible accidents last year and you begin to get the picture.

I couldn't have insured any of my fleet for anything approaching a reasonable amount and - bar the 605 diesel - I wouldn't trust anything else I own not to break / disintegrate expensively over the 30,000 daily miles a year I drive. I'm not especially handy with the spanners and my unique finances mean I can't fuel anything particularly thirsty. Neither do I have sensitive hands, so that's the Citroen ZX banished for the rest of time.

Does this mean I'll keep the Leonard forever? No. Are all modern cars faultlessly reliable? Are they bollocks.

I did finance with the C4 but that was only because I had some money up front and the rest of the payments were set at 0% APR.

The way it is, having a modern keeps my insurance premiums lower for my toys.

Amazon: 25 mpg, piss easy to steal, would go to shit if used in all weathers. Yeah, right.

Piazza: 29 mpg, hard to get spares for, dodgy when it rains, piss easy to steal.

605 diesel: 45 mpg, easy to get engine parts for, body and trim pieces - yeah, but I'm not paying to relandscape Dean Hunter's garden.

605 V6: 18 mpg. Engine parts unobtainium for my model. Bodged alarm, piss easy to steal

nob_van: yeah, like any normal insurer would cover me on that for 30k a year.

etc, etc.

Maybe it's just a case of having manners at the end of the day: walking up to a complete stranger and telling them their car's 'shit' (or words to that effect) remains incredibly rude.

Yes, for 30k miles a year, one could chose more suitable chod than you tend to include in your portfolio.

I still fail to see a single reason for succumbing to newfangeld tosh.

I drive a 1999 Landrover discovery daily; at  the 'motion lotion'  pumps; Ive had all sorts of  comments; "how do you insure that- it must cost a lot..."? (insurance companies here in Ireland either don't insure, or make it financially prohibitive to insure a car over 12 years of age, insurance companies literally dictate their 'insurance risk' they will undertake - even if they are tested- what car their customers  can drive; it has to be under 12 years; otherwise its prohibitively  too expensive to insure- mid 90s to early 2000 cars are vanishing as a result - insurance companies dictate what age of car you can drive on a normal policy...)

...other comments I get -"we have had one of them in our paddock/field/ back yard" for years - where did you get your test done - the implied, is that I have somehow got a 'dodgy test' - which is literally impossible in the current age of NRA here where both operator tester, n test centre itself is subject to such rigorous checks n fear of he/she is of losing his/her job n tester accreditation - loss od livelihood or business.... I keep my vehicle legal; its 'old' but does the job - very little electronics....  here in Ireland its a slavish view, that any vehicle over`12 years of age or more is 'suspect or dangerous; one of them 'group/committee thinks' that is without either logic or proof, but such is the slavish thinking here, n sheep like mentality that we  follow our EU 'partners' in terms of vehicle standards "old cars are bad n dangerous- wheels fall off  randomly after 11 years " etc etc - its trickled down into ordinary folks consciousness  which is very sad...

we were led to believe the same LOL....its actually 12 years nowadays - my mate had an 04 Focus that failed the test -rust;  we managed to cobbled together a solid 02 focus (bought with  a dodgy gearbox n needing a shock) - we cobbled  a good car back together from the two - fittin the gearbox from the 04 to the 02 focus - back on the road, n he taxed the car; insurance company all approving with a €100 ontop his policy as 'it was an older car' - only to ring him up 2 weeks later n say they had to cancel his policy completely as they were not 'taking on cars of that age' anymore - tax below 3 months isn't refundable here, so he was out quite a few quid - including the costs of buying said focus....

You get this sort of thing from Real Bikers if you ride a scooter. If I can be bothered to address such walnut brains, it's only to tell them to piss off and mind their own business.

You can neither reason with nor educate pork. Best not to waste your time trying.

I became ashamed of owning a bike. As they became less a means of transport and more a knob-enhancement so their owners became more and more unpleasant. Throughout the 90's I rode an old-type Triumph and arrival anywhere would usually elicit surprise from riders of more modern stuff that I'd actually completed the journey.

The machine, a '78 Tiger, took me to most countries in Europe without ever breaking down and without deafening ever other fucker on the planet.

Yes, for 30k miles a year, one could chose more suitable chod than you tend to include in your portfolio.

I still fail to see a single reason for succumbing to newfangeld tosh.

Insurance. Pick me out anything you want and the cover quotes for where I live will be mental. As in 'most of a phone number' mental.

You try getting cover for a car worth less than £1k with two accidents in a year; it doesn't work.

A diesel 405 estate, for example, was £2120 for 20,000 miles a year. The places I tried wouldn't even cover me for 30k - and I have contact with a lot of insurance companies through work. I wanted a Subaru Legacy diesel badly but the once again the brokers shit all over me.

If I had the money and didn't want to pay through the nose to insure a shitbox, why would I buy a shitbox?

There are lots of decent sub £1k buys out there but I. could. not. get. insured. on. them.

I'll revert in three or four years when the insurance has calmed down.

Going back to post #1 and putting on my real biker BS 6658:1985 skid lid of despair. I don't know either of you so this is based on supposition.

A discussion would involve initially having opinions based on non biased information/evidence which could be challenged by further non-biased  information/evidence but as both of you have a fixed opinion of your "better then everyone else" lifestyle choice of transport then neither of you would be willing to engage in a discussion.  This gives you both jointly the only way to communicate is in a adversarial manner from your fixed opinions thus attempting to score verbal points over your opponent in place of conversation possibly with the scathingly witty parting shot of "Fuckoff you cunt".  Neither of you are right nor wrong but it is now seen as a sign of weakness to change your opinion. 

This is also how a lot of media and social media now present and influence their consumers, selecting "facts from a fixed viewpoint" which only support their fixed viewpoint and ignoring any others.  The effect is now so pervasive that some University students now have to take courses in "Critical Thinking" so they can read a text then form an opinion. OK I'm off to a seminar on public opposition to renewables.

Going back to post #1 and putting on my real biker BS 6658:1985 skid lid of despair. I don't know either of you so this is based on supposition.

A discussion would involve initially having opinions based on non biased information/evidence which could be challenged by further non-biased  information/evidence but as both of you have a fixed opinion of your "better then everyone else" lifestyle choice of transport then neither of you would be willing to engage in a discussion.  This gives you both jointly the only way to communicate is in a adversarial manner from your fixed opinions thus attempting to score verbal points over your opponent in place of conversation possibly with the scathingly witty parting shot of "Fuckoff you cunt".  Neither of you are right nor wrong but it is now seen as a sign of weakness to change your opinion. 

This is also how a lot of media and social media now present and influence their consumers, selecting "facts from a fixed viewpoint" which only support their fixed viewpoint and ignoring any others.  The effect is now so pervasive that some University students now have to take courses in "Critical Thinking" so they can read a text then form an opinion. OK I'm off to a seminar on public opposition to renewables.

I have a modern because insurance. Other people do not have moderns because they can insure cheap cars for less than I can.

I have a modern and shite. Both methods have their disadvantages.

I don't know either of you so this is based on supposition.

Thank you Sir Humphrey; I couldn't make head nor tail of it but it sounds persuasive!