320Touring's Toledo FIN

320touring

Grand stuff. Maybe I should attempt similar brake fettling on the RAV, because I properly shat myself thinking the brakes had failed today as I approached a tight turn. Nope. They're just as shit as they've always been, which is shitter than the Rover. By quite a large margin.

Aye get in aboot it!Pretty much every car I buy needs dome brake work. Its usually only 40-60 quid for discs and pads:)

Tyre fitted, exhaust hanger done

Handbrake Adjusted- now 3 clicks..

The one remaining issue is the rear brakes.

I can get them to work, but then they stop.

No obvious leaks- waggling the load compensator valve gets them to work. but then they stop.

anyone any suggestions bar another Valve?

Loathe to take the drums to bits at the moment.

post-17572-0-62001200-1472385054_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-14617800-1472385075_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-27240300-1472385270_thumb.jpg

I never realised how much of a VAG parts bin special these were.... is that a Corrado instrument cluster? And the switches that are meant to be on the edge of it, just sat on a flat bit of fascia to the right of the wheel. Still, it looks pretty well put together for what was a budget car.

I never realised how much of a VAG parts bin special these were.... is that a Corrado instrument cluster? And the switches that are meant to be on the edge of it, just sat on a flat bit of fascia to the right of the wheel. Still, it looks pretty well put together for what was a budget car.

No idea re the cluster..all the switchgear looks to be mk3 golf and all underpinnings are like mk2 jetta/golf as far as I can see

cluster looks like a b3 Passat affair; some of the switchgear looks mk2 golf 'turned sideways' - dash does resemble the corrado, rather the B3 Passat, but its different again from the corrado; centre console looks like what you'd find on a mid eighties golf - this was right about the time that VW bought over the SEAT franchise; so who knows what  bits they were flinging into containers to spain to the SEAT plant to build cars - vw later used the SEAT plants to make, produce n assemble much of the 6n polo (mid 90s) 'mk3 polo' as it was virtually identical to the later ibizas- wiring, interior wise...

there is the twin to this; a stealth  hatchback in silver with full black bumpers in clonmel- an 'aul lad' drives it about; I see it occasionally goin into tescos....

Feeling your brake woes. Swift has had two recon front calipers, fresh fluid twice and two new rear cylinders and the pedal is still softer than the one in the silver Swift I had. Interior came up grand. Also can't tell if space saver or really big boot.

Feeling your brake woes. Swift has had two recon front calipers, fresh fluid twice and two new rear cylinders and the pedal is still softer than the one in the silver Swift I had. Interior came up grand. Also can't tell if space saver or really big boot.

cheers aye am happy re the interior.It appears the load compensator is working correctly, So I thin it may be that the shoes need adjusting?

I'll try moving the adjusters tomorrow.. now I've read up how to do it-been a while since I've played wi drums.

also tis space saver but massive boot

Being a VAG parts bin special, I'm assuming that the rear drums are also the hubs, ie the whole lot comes off the stub axle once you've undone the hubnut for the taper bearing?

thats correct, assuming you can get the adjuster to move enough to get the drum off;)

Aaah, good old self-adjusting* rear drums.

My first Peugeot 306 had them. Had to take the drums off every few months and manually adjust them by turning the mechanism with needle-nose pliers. It had te same design of drum, where the wheel bearing was pressed into it and it was all held on with a nut that had a ridge you punched into a notch on the stub axle.

You knew when they needed adjusting when the car took longer and longer to stop, and the handbrake turned to shit. After adjusting, I'd almost put myself through the windscreen because all 4 wheels were braking properly again!

My first Peugeot 306 had them. Had to take the drums off every few months and manually adjust them by turning the mechanism with needle-nose pliers. It had te same design of drum, where the wheel bearing was pressed into it and it was all held on with a nut that had a ridge you punched into a notch on the stub axle.

You knew when they needed adjusting when the car took longer and longer to stop, and the handbrake turned to shit. After adjusting, I'd almost put myself through the windscreen because all 4 wheels were braking properly again!

Aye I'll need good brakes to slow down from the high speed* runs at Crail..

Only bother I have with drums is lack of looking at them, bit of a clean and break the glaze on the drums and back together. 

Will the MOT guys help it through with adjustment if needed?

its an mot only place- sound lads but they dont do any work on vehicles..

I consulted with a mechanic mate last night so have a plan in action:)

Had a couple of bashes at getting the rear brakes to adjust up..

Mr IainL was overby tonight amd was most helpful!. Unfortunately a wheel cyl has died so I think I'll replace both.

Thankfully the adjusters seem to move and there is some meat on the shoes..

pic is of offending stuck cyl before it decided to piss fluid

Glad it failed here rather than when I was GLF.

ach well. will miss this months Scotoahite with it. but hopefully will be done for next month

post-17572-0-18321200-1472595285_thumb.jpg

VAG of this era had taper-bearings rather than roller bearings and should be adjusted to exhibit minimal endfloat but no tighter. This misunderstanding may explain the MOT moron who "failed" the family B2 Passat on shoogly rear wheel bearings but "as a gesture of goodwill" decided to "tightened them up" probably with a windy gun and passed it only for the nearside rear wheel to almost fall off surrounded by an emulsion of grease and case-hardened swarf 100 miles later.

Ot he could just have been a cunt.