320Touring's Toledo FIN

320touring

Jeepers. That looks like it's very shortly about to blow out into a major rustfest. I'm glad you got your hands on it before there was nothing to save. I think you'll be needing a wire brush and some anti-rust gunk though!

Its not too bad- lots of surface rust and the backbox may need attention at some point..

You've managed to buy something not needing lots of work? Who are you and what have you done with Neil?

apologies. Discs are 12 quid a pop and pads are 15 so getting them tomorrow.

then it'll be a strip and sort at the weekend:)

Great find!!!!! I love these black bumper jobs. 10/10!!!

MOAR high praise! cheers:)

I had absolutely no part* in persuading Neil to buy this via whatsapp.

I like these, a 16ver was looked at many years ago when they were still newish. Tried Amazon for much cheapness parts?

aye cheers for all your sensible suggestions..

not as yet. want bits pdq and looks like sub 40 for brakes

Love this! Never knew a Mk1 Toledo existed. Love 'poverty spec' cars & only thing that'd make it more so would be if it was painted 'generic industrial white'.

Even found out they raced a sort of Paris-Dakar style edition called the 'Marathon'

Can't wait to see it in the metal! :D

Hopefully in the rear view mirror of the 316 at Crail...

Love this! Never knew a Mk1 Toledo existed. Love 'poverty spec' cars & only thing that'd make it more so would be if it was painted 'generic industrial white'.

Even found out they raced a sort of Paris-Dakar style edition called the 'Marathon'

Can't wait to see it in the metal! :D

Hopefully in the rear view mirror of the 316 at Crail...

Yep they did a fair few odd things with them:)

Most of the oily bits are Mk2 or 3 Golf, aren't they?

Given that it's on a Golf platform, that's an enormous amount of rear legroom considering the boot is the size of a Mecca bingo hall as well.

Mk2 Golf/Jetta platform, but tbh its more Passat sized inside.

Kind of like the way a mk1 Octavia was based on a mk4 Golf..

previous record in the last mk1 Toledo I had was 1.5 pallets of bricks stacked in the boot:)

Brake fluid is superb at renovating vinyl interiors, brought the brownium in the floppytop Golf up like new whether it was hard plastic, vinyl fabric or that weird squidgy stuff you get on some binnacle surrounds.  Just remember to use no water with it.  Dip the toothbrush in the fluid, scrub on (you can use a larger stiff bristle brush if you want) and wipe off with either a cloth or paper towel and then allow to dry naturally.  If you use water it goes all milky and weird and you have to do it again without, probably because of the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid.

Or just leave it as it is, this thing is as spectacular either as a minty specimen or a well used example.

New front discs and pads fitted - everything came apart easily(even disc retaining screws!!), pistons pushed back fine and I now have something approaching a pedal.

Fluid even looks ok- both bleed nipples cracked ok, I'll do a proper bleed once the backs have been apart.

tomorrow I'll try to get the rears stripped and cleaned, handbrake adjusted a cheeky partworn 175/70/13 and an exhaust rubber on.

then its MOT TIME

post-17572-0-42637900-1472239376_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-97907300-1472239523_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-56382100-1472239547_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-42015000-1472239566_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-11154200-1472239584_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-46606700-1472239604_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-09993100-1472239619_thumb.jpg